[Iabs-talk] FW: ICBV Office Update August 15, 2017

denise Avant davant1958 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 16 09:59:31 UTC 2017

Denise R. Avant, President

Live the life you want.

For more information about NFBI,

Go to www.nfbofillinois.org.

From: Kathy Ungaro [mailto:icbv at sbcglobal.net]
Sent: Tuesday, August 15, 2017 5:57 PM
To: Kathy Ungaro <icbv at sbcglobal.net>
Subject: ICBV Office Update August 15, 2017

ICBV Office Update

August 15, 2017

*1) Calendar of Events

*2) Total Eclipse of the Sun

*3) HB 2626 has been Signed in to Law

*4) NAMA Grassroots Advocacy Alert

*5) Calumet City Lions Inviting Visually Impaired Golfers September 24th

*6) This Week on Eyes on Success

*7) Consumer Reports 42% of Americans Think Government Should Tax Unhealthy Behavior

*8) Beverage Brands Pivot to Meet Millennials’ No-Sugar Requests

*9) More on the Cook County Beverage Tax

*10) From RSA Management Group

**1 Calendar of Events

September 9, 2017 4:00 pm

NFBI Oktoberfest in September

Location is 6919 W. Berwyn Ave. Chicago.

Cost is $25 per person plus 2 for each libation after the first.

Dear all, please mark your calendars. We are once again doing Oktoberfest in September at the Changs. This was a blast last year. Ron Cooper, has agreed to DJ again. He has awesome karaoke equipment and does a nice job. People will also bring their own instruments. We have beverages, brats, and burgers.

Proceeds go to the National Federation of the Blind of Illinois. This is an opportunity for fellowship and fun. Please bring a friend.

RSVP before September 3, 2017 to Patti at  <mailto:pattischang at gmail.com> pattischang at gmail.com or (773) 307-6440.

Please note that if you RSVP and do not cancel before September 3, 2017, we will expect payment as we purchase food based on RSVPs.

September 12-15, 2017

NABM BLAST 2017

Nashville Airport Marriott Hotel

Tradeshow September 13th

Visit  <http://www.blindmerchants.org/> www.blindmerchants.org for more information as it becomes available.  For more information, contact Nicky Gacos at  <mailto:nickycolorado at netscape.net> nickycolorado at netscape.net  or call him at (908) 464-5359 or contact Terry Smith at  <mailto:terrysmith at epbfi.com> terrysmith at epbfi.com  or 865-599-7148.

NABM is happy to announce that as a result of its relationship with NAMA, the Michigan State University Executive Leadership Program will be conducting a half-day of the BLAST training on Thursday morning.  NAMA funds the program at MSU and it has provided leadership training to hundreds of supervisory personnel in the vending industry.  Bonnie Knutson and William Donohue will provide quality training that will improve communication, enhance customer service, promote creativity, and help improve the bottom line.   You don't want to miss this.

We have other outstanding general session presentations lined up as well as the best line-up of pre-Conference breakouts ever.  These breakouts will start at noon on Tuesday, September 12th and will include a presentation by Mark Manney on theft prevention through effective hiring practices.  John Pirtle of Tennessee will present on writing effective business plans for the Randolph-Sheppard vending facility.  He will also do a creative presentation called "The Customer is Always #2."  The Social Security expert NABM contracts with will do a presentation on SSDI.  Scott Cass of the Hadley Institute will do a session on profit and loss issues for blind entrepreneurs.  John Murn will talk about maximizing profits through rebates. Vend Engine will discuss commissary opportunities.  We have sessions planned on micro markets and office coffee services.  And we've asked Jesse Hartle of RSA to do a session for Elected Committee members.  And there are more in the works.  Your biggest problem will be deciding which ones to attend.  Plan your travel to be thereby noon so you can take advantage of these great breakouts.

Staff will want to come in on Monday.  We are working with NCSAB to plan an all-day staff training on Tuesday, September 12th.  You won't want to miss this.  It promises to be the best staff training we've ever done.

October 27, 28, and 29, 2017

NFB of Illinois State Convention, Chicago Naperville Marriott

>From Denise Avant, Preside3nt NFBI:

I am pleased to announce that our national representative for the 2017 State convention is NFB President Mark Riccobono. We are looking forward to a great convention, and we are certainly excited to have President Riccobono as our national rep.

The cutoff date for hotel registration is October 6, 2017. The cutoff for meal requests is October 13, 2017., Our meal options are regular, vegetarian and kosher. You will need to turn in your meal request to Patti Chang at  <mailto:pattischang at gmail.com> pattischang at gmail.com by October 13, 2017. When you specify your meal option, please tell her what meals you are ordering (breakfast(s), student lunch or banquet, along with your meal option.

**2 Shared by Hadley Institute for the Blind and Visually Impaired

Have you heard that the US is about to witness a total eclipse of the sun?

Solar eclipses, when sunlight reaching earth is blocked by the moon, occur somewhere on earth about once every 18 months. But the last time a total eclipse was visible from coast to coast in the U.S. was nearly 100 years ago!

To help you better understand and more fully appreciate the August 21 total eclipse, Hadley teamed up with NASA scientists to bring expert insights right to you.

What’s more: The first 30 visually impaired registrants will receive a free tactile map entitled “Getting a Feel for Eclipses.” Created in cooperation with NASA specifically for this year’s eclipse, the map illustrates the path across the US that the Aug 21 eclipse will take and gives readers a feel for how this astronomical event works.

Follow this link to register: https://www.hadley.edu/Eclipse.asp

**3 Shared by Patti Chang, NFBI – Parental Rights bill

HB 2626 has been signed in to law.  Thank you for all of your efforts passing this important legislation.  Have a great week!

Public Act 100-0075

HB2626 Enrolled LRB100 06188 HEP 16222 b

    AN ACT concerning civil law.

    Be it enacted by the People of the State of Illinois,

represented in the General Assembly:

    Section 1. Short title. This Act may be cited as the

Parental Rights for the Blind Act.

    Section 5. Findings. The General Assembly finds that:

        (1) blind individuals continue to face unfair,

    preconceived, and unnecessary societal biases as well as

    antiquated attitudes regarding their ability to

    successfully parent their children;

        (2) blind individuals face these biases and

    preconceived attitudes in family and dependency law

    proceedings in which the allocation of parental

    responsibilities and parenting time are at stake and in

    public and private adoption, guardianship, and foster care

    proceedings;

        (3) because of these societal biases and antiquated

    attitudes, children of blind parents are unnecessarily

    being removed from their parents' care or being restricted

    from enjoying meaningful time with their parents; and

        (4) children are being denied the opportunity to enjoy

    the experience of living in loving homes with blind parents

    or other blind caregivers.

    Section 10. Purpose. The purpose of this Act is to protect

the best interests of children cared for or parented by blind

individuals or children who could be cared for or parented by

blind individuals through the establishment of procedural

safeguards that require adherence to the Americans with

Disabilities Act and respect for the due process and equal

protection rights of blind parents or prospective blind parents

in the context of child welfare, foster care, family law, and

adoption.

    Section 15. Definitions. As used in this Act:

    "Blindness" means central visual acuity of 20/200 or less

in the better eye with the use of a correcting lens. An eye

that has a limitation in the field of vision so that the widest

diameter of the visual field subtends an angle no greater than

20 degrees is considered to have a central visual acuity of

20/200 or less. "Blindness" includes a degenerative condition

that reasonably can be expected to result in blindness.

    "Supportive parenting services" means services that assist

a person with blindness in the effective use of non-visual

techniques and other alternative methods to enable the person

to discharge parental responsibilities as successfully as a

person who does not have blindness.

    Section 20. Prohibitions; burden of proof.

    (a) A person's blindness shall not serve as a basis for

denial or restriction of parenting time or the allocation of

parental responsibilities if the parenting time or the

allocation of parental responsibilities is determined to be

otherwise in the best interests of the child.

    (b) A person's blindness shall not serve as a basis for

denial of participation in public or private adoption when the

adoption is determined to be otherwise in the best interests of

the child.

    (c) A person's blindness shall not serve as a basis for

denial of foster care or guardianship when the appointment is

determined to be otherwise in the best interests of the child.

    (d) The Department of Children and Family Services shall

develop and implement procedures that ensure and provide equal

access to child welfare services, programs, and activities in a

nondiscriminatory manner. Services, programs, and activities

include, but are not limited to, investigations, assessments,

provision of in-home services, out-of-home placements, case

planning and service planning, visitation, guardianship,

adoption, foster care, and reunification services. Such

services, programs, and activities may also extend to

proceedings under the Juvenile Court Act and proceedings to

terminate parental rights. The Department of Children and

Family Services shall provide training to child welfare

investigators and caseworkers on these procedures.

    (e) If the court determines that the right of a person with

blindness to the allocation of parental responsibilities,

parenting time, foster care, guardianship, or adoption should

be denied or limited in any manner, the court shall make

specific written findings stating the basis for such a

determination and why supportive parenting services cannot

prevent the denial or limitation.

Effective Date: 1/1/2018

**4 From NAMA - Grassroots Advocacy Alert

Dear NAMA Members,

The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) is currently gathering comments for a proposed rule-making on consumer-facing labels regarding food and beverage products, including Genetically Modified Organisms (GMO).

They have specifically asked if vending machines should be required to display a label. It is essential that the USDA hears directly from you regarding this issue.

Make your voice heard: click here: https://www.namanow.org/ga-member-info/ to send a letter drafted by NAMA to the USDA urging them not to mandate GMO labeling on vending machines. The deadline for comments is August 25, 2017.

Sincerely,

The NAMA Government Affairs Team

**5 Shared by Dan Dwyer, ICBV & James Kesteloot

The Calumet City Lions are inviting visually impaired golfers to play with their Lions Club members. They will provide the golf clubs, pick up the visually impaired golfer at their home and take them back home, and they will provide lunch, and all at no cost to  the blind or visually impaired person.

Any interested person should call Lion Chuck Eggebrecht at 708-895-2339, and he will make the arrangements. Calling Chuck is easier than filling out the registration form below.

Chuck said he would speak to any interested groups or individuals.

A Tourney for Sight

A tournament bringing visually impaired and sighted golfers together as a team using a scramble format

When: September 24, 2017

Time: Check-in:  8:30-9:30am Shotgun start at 10:00am

Where: Lincoln Oaks Golf Course 395 E Richton Rd Crete, IL 60417

(708) 672-9401

Cost: Free for visually impaired golfers $30 for sighted golfers

Includes: 9 holes of golf, cart, hot dog and a beverage

Registration Information:

·       Each team will consist of one visually impaired golfer and three sighted golfers.

·       If you do not have a visually impaired golfer for your team or if you need additional sighted players, don’t worry, the tournament committee will complete your foursome for you.

·       Make checks payable to:  Calumet City Lions Club

·       Return the form and your payment to any Calumet City Lions Club member or mail it to:  Calumet City Lions Club, P.O. Box 67, Calumet City, IL  60409

·       Due date for registration and payment is August 24, 2017

**6 This week on Eyes On Success: ElBraille

1733 ElBraille (Aug. 9, 2017)

ElBraille is a full mobile portable computer running on Windows 10 together

with JAWS. It also contains a docking station, integrated with Freedom

Scientific's Focus 14 Braille display. Hosts Nancy and Peter Torpey talk

with Svetlana Vasilyeva and Adi Kushnir of the Elita Group about this device designed for blind and deaf-blind users.

**7 From Vending Market Watch

Consumer Reports: 42% Of Americans Think Government Should Tax Unhealthy Behavior AUG 9, 2017 SOURCE: CONSUMER REPORTS

Consumer Reports (CR) examines the pros and cons of using so-called “behavior” or “sin” taxes as weapons in the complex war to end America’s obesity crisis in a new report, ”Can 'Sin Taxes' Solve America's Obesity Problem?,” published on CR.org today.

CR’s extensive report explores the growing effort across the nation and around the globe to hike taxes on sugar-sweetened drinks and sodas as a way to reduce sugar consumption and calories and help prevent obesity and related chronic diseases such as diabetes and hypertension. The report features graphics that look at the health benefits associated with drinking more water and another on how much sugar can be avoided by switching to a different beverage.

A new nationally representative CR survey of 1,010 adults shows that while consumers have mixed feelings about sin taxes, among the 42 percent who favor them, the majority approve of taxing sugar sweetened beverages. The survey also finds that half of Americans say they would not cut back on unhealthy food even if it cost more. But most people—73 percent—say they would eat more healthy food if it cost less.

“It doesn’t take a radical change in a person’s diet to make a difference in weight. An average 20-ounce soda contains about 16 teaspoons of added sugar,” said Trisha Calvo, CR’s Health and Food Deputy Content Editor. A simple switch in daily beverages can help an individual drop unwanted pounds and live healthier, she said.

Replacing one 20-ounce sugary cola with water out of a daily diet could save 119 cups of sugar annually and result in 14 pounds of potential weight loss, according to the National Institutes of Health Body Weight Planner.

The full report on behavior taxes is available now on CR.org , It will also be in the upcoming October issue of Consumer Reports, which hits newsstands at the end of August. Follow CR on Facebook and Twitter for current news and reports.

Healthier Beverage Options

The U.S. currently holds the unenviable title of most overweight nation on earth, with more than a third of its citizens now considered obese. Local governments around the country--including Philadelphia, San Francisco, Seattle, and Berkeley, California—have begun enacting laws that tax sodas and sugar sweetened drinks at a higher rate than other foods and beverages. Sugary drinks are a major contributor of daily American calorie intake, roughly 7 percent of all calories consumed, while contributing little to no nutritional value.

Research suggests that taxing soda and sugary drinks can help alleviate the problem but they are most effective when paired with subsidies for healthy foods and education programs. Experts say such efforts should focus on two groups, the young and the heaviest soda consumers.

In addition, reducing sugary drinks won’t help prevent obesity unless consumers replace those beverages with healthier choices. Water is the best choice since it provides 0 calories and is essential to good health.

Consumer Reports 2017 Survey Methodology

In November 2016, Consumer Reports conducted a nationally representative telephone survey to assess American consumer opinion of government taxes and subsidies and their effects on behavior. Respondents were selected by means of random-digit dialing and were interviewed via phone. The data was statistically weighted so that respondents in the survey are demographically and geographically representative of the U.S. population. The margin of error is +/- 3.1 percentage points at the 95% confidence level.

About Consumer Reports

Consumer Reports is an independent, nonprofit organization that works side by side with consumers to create a fairer, safer, and healthier world. For 80 years, CR has provided evidence-based product testing and ratings, rigorous research, hard-hitting investigative journalism, public education, and steadfast policy action on behalf of consumers’ interests. Unconstrained by advertising or other commercial influences, CR has exposed landmark public health and safety issues and strives to be a catalyst for pro-consumer changes in the marketplace. From championing responsible auto safety standards, to winning food and water protections, to enhancing healthcare quality, to fighting back against predatory lenders in the financial markets, Consumer Reports has always been on the front lines, raising the voices of consumers.

AUGUST 2017

© 2017 Consumer Reports. The material above is intended for legitimate news entities only; it may not be used for advertising or promotional purposes. Consumer Reports® is an expert, independent, nonprofit organization whose mission is to work side by side with consumers to create a fairer, safer, and healthier world. We accept no advertising and pay for all the products we test. We are not beholden to any commercial interest. Our income is derived from the sale of Consumer Reports® magazine, ConsumerReports.org® and our other publications and information products, services, fees, and noncommercial contributions and grants. Our Ratings and reports are intended solely for the use of our readers. Neither the Ratings nor the reports may be used in advertising or for any other commercial purpose without our prior written permission. Consumer Reports will take all steps open to it to prevent unauthorized commercial use of its content and trademarks.

**8 From GMA SmartBrief

Beverage brands pivot to meet millennials' no-sugar requests

Health consciousness, low sugar and product sustainability are all hallmarks of contemporary consumer trends driven by millennial shoppers. Brands including PepsiCo, Red Bull and Coca-Cola are innovating in response to these generational market shifts with new products and packaging that capitalize on sugar-free and wellness claims.

Read the article here: BeverageDaily (France) - http://www.beveragedaily.com/Markets/Health-conscious-millennials-turn-to-zero-calorie-drinks

**9 More on the Cook County Beverage Tax

>From Vending Market Watch: Chicago Tribune Compares Philly Soda Tax To Cook County's AUG 14, 2017

Since the Cook County, IL's sweetened beverage tax went into effect earlier this month, many retailers have reported lost sales and labor cuts, while the Mayor is talking about positive revenue generation and habit change. The Chicago Tribune covered the two sides, comparing it to the Philadelphia, PA, sweetened beverage tax, although in Cook County the tax is on consumers rather than distributors. In Philadelphia, the tax has already driven down revenues, and brought in less money than projected, but continues to be seen by some in a positive way.

Full Article: http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-philadelphia-cook-county-soda-tax-0813-biz-20170810-story.html

>From Commissioner John Fritchey:

On August 2nd, Cook County began enforcing the controversial penny-per-ounce tax on more than 1,000 everyday beverages, like juice drinks, pop, sports drinks, flavored water -- even iced tea and diet drinks! The tax is expensive, unfair and hits Cook County residents hard in their wallets. And this tax is on top of the highest-in-the-nation sales tax that Cook County consumers already pay.

I was the first Commissioner to speak out against the tax for being anti-business, anti-consumer, and likely illegal. In the short time since the tax has been in place, we've seen confusion by business owners, shoppers taking their business outside of Cook County, and multiple lawsuits.

>From the beginning, I've believed that there are other ways to address the budget shortfall. The choices may not be easy but they're there and county government needs to tighten it's own belt before asking taxpayers to do it - again.

I promised to keep fighting the tax and I'm doing just that. Last week, I sponsored an ordinance seeking to repeal President Preckwinkle's soda tax. It's my hope that now that some of my colleagues have seen the tax in action and have heard the public outrage, they may be willing to get rid of this tax.

The Chicago Tribune agrees with our effort in their editorial, "Madam President, abolish the soda tax":

Others ought to think hard about joining them...Madam President, listen to your constituents. They don't want the soda tax. They're speaking to you. Pay attention. Gather up your finance wizards and find a way to roll back the tax and reduce county spending instead. Voters adamantly reject the notion that the tax is a well-intentioned effort at improving public health.

Crain's Editorial Board agrees too:

Preckwinkle would like us to think she had no choice but to reach into the pockets of everyone living in or just passing through Cook County with the worst kind of regressive tax. But she did have a choice, and she does have a choice...she can-and she should-undo this onerous soda tax once and for all.

The repeal will be introduced at our Board meeting on September 13, 2017, and it is our hope that we'll be able to get rid of this unfair tax and work toward a more financially stable County government using the resources we already have rather than taxing our way out of problems.

>From IAMC:

>From Pam Gilbert NAMA &  NAMA’s Government Affairs Team Friday, August 11. 2017 9:33 AM

Subject: IL Dept. of Ag letter re: Cook County Soda Tax

The Department of Agriculture has told the Illinois Department of Human Services that Cook County's newly implemented soda tax flouts a federal statute that bars state or local sales taxes from being collected on items purchased with SNAP benefits.

In a letter dated Aug. 7, Tim English, regional administrator for the Midwest Region at USDA's Food and Nutrition Service, warned that if the county didn't change one of its options for collecting the tax — which kicked in last week — it could lose funding for administering the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program.

Cook County, which includes Chicago, changed how the tax would work in practice, English wrote. At first, retailers were supposed to include the tax in the shelf price listed at the retail level. In June, however, retailers were told they could add the tax at the point of sale, where items are rung up, and USDA says that does violate the law.

If retailers weren't able to modify their sales systems quickly enough, the county told businesses they could refund the tax charged on SNAP purchases in the interim, but USDA says it told the county via a phone call in late June that this was "unacceptable."

USDA is asking the county to eliminate the refund option or delay implementation so retailers can "appropriately program front-end point-of-sale systems."

The letter notes that when the tax cleared the Cook County Board of Commissioners in Nov. 2016, it was not supposed to apply to purchases that are tax-exempt under federal law, like SNAP purchases.

The state has 14 days to submit a corrective action plan, the letter says.

Please contact me at jeberstein at namanow.org <mailto:jeberstein at namanow.org> , with any questions.

Thank you,

Jason S. Eberstein

Director, State and Federal Government Affairs

NAMA

301.537.4114

Forwarded from Pam Gilbert of NAMA and Scott Goodwin,  President, IAMC

**10 From RSA Management Group

NEW DEALS THIS WEEK

EQUAL

Deal Date:  THROUGH DECEMBER, 2017

Rebates             Products

$5.00 per case  Sucrose Yellow Packets 4/400 count

SWEET CHRISTINE’S – GRAND PRAIRIE FOODS

Deal Date:  THROUGH INDEFINITE

Rebates             Products

10% per case    Sweet Christine’s Bakery – ALL PRODUCTS

PEPSI INNOVATION PRODUCTS (Through Participating Bottlers Only)

Deal Date:  THROUGH AUGUST, 2017 –DELIVERED BY SEPT. 7, 2017

Rebates             Products

$1.00 per case  Kickstart 12 oz. Hydration Raspberry Citrus

$1.00 per case Kickstart 16 oz. Mango Lime

$1.00 per case Starbucks 11 oz. Doubleshot w/ Protein – Caramel Flavor

$1.00 per case  Lipton Tea House 14 oz. Glass Bottles – 4 Flavors

Deals ending in August

FERRERO

Deal Date:  JUNE 15 – AUGUST 31, 2017

Rebates             Products

$11.88 per case Nutella and Go– All Products – (PLUS RSA EXCLUSIVE 10% REBATE)

FRITO LAY – ITEMS MAY NOT BE AVAILABLE IN ALL MARKETS

Deal Date:  AUGUST, 2017 – TAKE DELIVERY BY SEPTEMBER 17, 2017

Rebates             Products

$3.20 per case  LSS Miss Vickie’s Kettle Chips – ALL FLAVORS

$1.92 per case  LSS Funyuns Onion Snacks (44399)

$1.92 per case  LSS Frito Honey BBQ Corn Chip Twists (44353)

$1.92 per case  LSS Rold Gold and Rold Gold Pretzel Thins

$2.40 per case  2 oz. LSS Grandma’s Mini Choco. Chip Cookies (61503)

$1.80 per case  2.5 oz. Grandma’s Big Cookie – 60 ct. – ALL FLAVORS

$5.00 per case  Nut Harvest Nuts – ALL FLAVORS

$2.40 per case  Gatorade Bar – ALL FLAVORS

GATORADE ORDER THROUGH AUTHORIZED PBC ONLY

Deal Date:  THROUGH AUGUST, 2017 –DELIVERED BY SEPT. 7, 2017

Rebates             Products

$1.50 per case   20 oz. Gatorade and G2 – ALL FLAVORS

PEPSI INNOVATION PRODUCTS (Through Participating Bottlers Only)

Deal Date:  THROUGH AUGUST, 2017 –DELIVERED BY SEPT. 7, 2017

Rebates             Products

$1.00 per case  Kickstart 12 oz. Hydration Raspberry Citrus

$1.00 per case Kickstart 16 oz. Mango Lime

$1.00 per case Starbucks 11 oz. Doubleshot w/ Protein – Caramel Flavor

$1.00 per case  Lipton Tea House 14 oz. Glass Bottles – 4 Flavors

PEPSI (Through Participating Bottlers Only)

Deal Date:  THROUGH AUGUST, 2017 –DELIVERED BY SEPT. 7, 2017

Rebates             Products

$1.50 per case  20 oz. Sobe Life Water – All Flavors

$2.00 per case  18.5 oz. Lipton Pure Leaf – All flavors

$3.00 per case  1L and 700ML Sport Cap Lifewtr

$2.00 per case  20 oz. Lipton Mango

STARBUCKS (Through Participating Bottlers Only)

Deal Date:  THROUGH AUGUST, 2017 –DELIVERED BY SEPT. 7, 2017

Rebates             Products

$2.00 per case   Starbucks Energy plus Coffee – All Flavors

$2.00 per case   6.5 oz can Starbucks  Doubleshot Expresso

Thank you,

Kathy Ungaro

ICBV, Business Manager

(630)234-4444

Illinois Committee of Blind Vendors

53 W. Jackson Blvd. Suite 502

Chicago, IL 60604

This message (including attachments) is privileged and confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it without further distribution and reply to the sender that you have received the message in error.