[Iabs-talk] Advocacy Issues

denise avant davant1958 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 02:25:12 UTC 2017

Hello everyone,

One of the things NFBI does is to advocate on behalf of the blind of our
State, both individually and collectively. When individuals are involved, I
and others take very seriously the right to privacy an individual has. In
other words, if you have an advocacy issue, we keep the matter confidential.
We have an advocacy committee in our State, chaired by Leslie Hamric. We do
our best to respond to any blindness advocacy issues in a timely fashion.
If you have an advocacy issue that is related to blindness, then you should
contact myself or Leslie or any other person in leadership. You can be sure
that the matter will be kept confidential.

However, over the past several months, I have noticed postings to our lists
regarding advocacy matters as it relates to individuals. It is okay to post
general questions about blindness related topics. But I am concerned when
people post personal specific things about themselves as it relates to an
advocacy matter. Things said on any of our lists, twitter Facebook or any of
the other social media things causes a breach in your right to privacy. In
other words, matters can be discovered by agencies, employers and opposing
lawyers for example. So, it is best not to post specific case sensitive
blindness related advocacy issues or any such advocacy issues to any list or
social media. For you may be giving up an important right.

Denise R. Avant, President

National Federation Of The Blind Of Illinois

Live the life you want.