[Iabs-talk] FW: NFB President's Notebook - week of 02/20/2017

denise avant davant1958 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 20 21:53:42 UTC 2017

From: President, National Federation of the Blind [mailto:OfficeOfThePresident at nfb.org]
Sent: Monday, February 20, 2017 3:40 PM
To: President, National Federation of the Blind <OfficeOfThePresident at nfb.org>
Subject: NFB President's Notebook - week of 02/20/2017

President’s Notebook

National Federation of the Blind

Mark A. Riccobono

officeofthepresident at nfb.org <mailto:officeofthepresident at nfb.org>

(410) 659-9314

Dear Fellow Federationists,

We just completed a communications seminar here at the NFB Jernigan Institute. I was particularly inspired by the enthusiasm and expertise embedded within the affiliates that sent representatives. The nature of how we communicate—impart and exchange information and news—has shifted significantly in my twenty years as a member of the Federation. I am really proud that we have a committed corps of members prepared to carry our strategy forward in a thoughtful manner.

This past week we added the ability to get NFB podcast content through the Amazon Echo suite of products (see below for more information). We need to continue to find new ways to share information and tell our stories. Keep those ideas coming.

Finally, I have been working with our communications team, our organizational technology team, and members who have been supporting our internet presence in affiliates. I have asked that we set aggressive timelines and that we dedicate resources to getting our affiliate web assets up to date and secured for the future. I encourage you to let me know how that is going as it rolls out so that we can adjust the sails as needed.

Although it is still a little early, I am beginning to think about our national convention. I have already invited a number of key presenters, and I am looking for ideas about interesting presentations. Please share your thoughts with me.

Speaking of communication, for those of you who are not yet connected with me on Facebook, I invite you to friend Mark A. Riccobono and follow me on Twitter, @Riccobono.

News:

Amazon Echo:
The following podcasts have been added to the Amazon Echo through the TuneIn and Stitcher podcast directories: The Nation’s Blind, National Federation of the Blind Presidential Releases, National Federation of the Blind “Braille Monitor,” and National Federation of the Blind “Future Reflections.” When asking Alexa to play one of our podcasts, be sure to ask for the entire title, and in the case of the Presidential Release, include your language preference (English or Spanish): "Alexa, please play the ‘National Federation of the Blind February Presidential Release,’ English version."

Summer Internship Program:
As we continue to raise expectations of and for the blind, we realize that we must actively work to empower the next generation of dynamic leaders and innovative thinkers that will dream, develop, and implement the next ground-breaking project or program that changes the lives of all blind people. To that end, we must share our acquired knowledge and life experience with young, motivated blind students as they travel their individual paths toward full participation. We seek to accomplish this goal through our National Federation of the Blind Summer Internship Program, a unique learning experience that can only be directed by the National Federation of the Blind. For more information, visit: https://nfb.org/blog/vonb-blog/national-federation-blind-2017-summer-internship-program.

Parental Rights Legislation Passes in Utah:
Both houses of the Utah legislature have passed H.B. 150 Custody Amendments Related to Parents with Disabilities, a bill that would require judges to make specific findings that a disabled parent lacks resources to provide for a child's physical and emotional needs, rather than assume that a disabled person is less capable of being a parent, as is the case today. The bill is being prepared for Governor Herbert's signature. More information can be found in the  <http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865673324/Bill-would-change-how-courts-look-at-parents-disabilities-in-child-custody-cases.html> Deseret News article.

Discount Guinness World Records™ Umbrella Mosaic Posters:
Posters may now be purchased in quantities of twenty or more for one dollar each, plus the UPS shipping cost. These posters feature a photograph taken by the drone of the NFB’s record-breaking umbrella mosaic at the National Convention in July 2015 and our brand promise, "Together with love, hope, and determination, we transform dreams into reality," as well as a description of the event and our website. The posters measure 24 × 18 inches and have a landscape orientation. We recommend using these posters to enhance fundraising and outreach activities at the local level. Please contact the Independence Market at (410) 659-9314, extension 2216, to place your order.

Summer Programs at Our Centers

For your convenience we combined the following summer program information from our three training centers.

Louisiana Center for the Blind:

The Louisiana Center for the Blind is pleased to announce the Buddy Program—a fun and innovative summer offering for students in fourth through eighth grades. Dates for the 2017 Buddy Program are July 23-August 12. Please visit http://www.louisianacenter.org/buddyprogram/ for more information.

The Louisiana Center for the Blind’s Summer Training and Employment Project (STEP) Program is an eight-week summer experience tailored for blind high school students. Please navigate to http://www.louisianacenter.org/step-program/ to learn more.

Colorado Center for the Blind:

Every summer at the foot of the Rocky Mountains, blind youth learn and grow in confidence that they can live the lives they want. From Braille to rock climbing, and with blind role models and peers, it’s a summer they’ll never forget! The Colorado Center for the Blind in Littleton, Colorado, is accepting applications for its Initiation to Independence (three-week residential middle school) Program, as well as our Earn and Learn and College Prep (eight-week residential high school/college) Programs. For dates and applications visit http://cocenter.org/summer-youth-2017/.

BLIND, Inc.:

Blindness: Learning In New Dimensions (BLIND), Inc., a National Federation of the Blind training center is hosting three comprehensive residential programs this summer in Minneapolis, Minnesota:

June 10 to July 1: The Buddy Program offers blind/low-vision students ages nine through thirteen a chance to learn skills such as cooking, cleaning, Braille/technology, and cane travel from qualified blind counselors, while participating in exciting recreational activities as they develop friendships that will last a lifetime!

June 11 to August 5: The PREP Program offers blind/low-vision high school students a chance to learn their independence skills from qualified blind counselors while living in apartments blocks from a light rail station; put their skills to the test during a three-week, paid (at minimum wage) work experiences in the community; participate in cool recreational activities with friends; and meet friends and mentors while attending the National Federation of the Blind Convention in Orlando.

July 17 to August 4: Closeout the summer in STYLE (Summer Training Youth Learning Experience) residential program as blind/low-vision high school students select from one, two, or all three five-day transition programs focusing on cane travel and the use of public transit throughout the Minneapolis/St. Paul area (session 1); health, fitness, and recreation (session 2); and all things money management: making it, saving it, and spending it (session 3), while participating in educational and recreational weekend activities supervised by successful blind adults.

Please visit https://www.blindinc.org/programs/Summer/ for more detailed information regarding these exciting programs.

Dates to Keep in Mind:

*	March 23, 2017: eBooks and EPUB accessibility event <https://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=6317&qid=1522699>
*	March 30-31, 2017: Jacobus tenBroek Law Symposium <http://nfb.org/law-symposium>
*	March 31, 2017: Deadline for scholarship applications <http://www.nfb.org/scholarships>
*	April 15, 2017: Deadline for Jacob Bolotin Award applications <https://nfb.org/bolotin-award-main>
*	May 1, 2017: Deadline for Distinguished Educator of Blind Students Award <https://nfb.org/images/nfb/documents/pdf/distinguished-educator-of-blind-students-award-form-fillable.pdf>
*	July 10-15, 2017: National Convention, Rosen Shingle Creek Resort, Orlando, Florida <https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/bm/bm16/bm1611/bm161101.htm>
*	July 23-29, 2017: Youth Slam <http://www.blindscience.org/nfb-youth-slam> , Towson University
*	September 12-17, 2017: BLAST <http://blindmerchants.org/blast-2017/> , Nashville, Tennessee

Mark A. Riccobono

President

200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230

(410) 659-9314 | officeofthepresident at nfb.org <mailto:officeofthepresident at nfb.org>

 <https://nfb.org/>

                          <http://www.facebook.com/nationalfederationoftheblind>      <https://twitter.com/NFB_Voice>      <https://www.youtube.com/NationsBlind>