[Iabs-talk] FW: Announcing the Inaugural Holman Prizewinners

Deborah Kent Stein dkent5817 at att.net
Fri Jun 30 01:20:14 UTC 2017

I am thrilled to pass along the following announcement about the first annual James Holman Prizes. The prizes are awarded by the San Francisco Lighthouse in honor of James Holman, a blind man who became an intrepid world traveler early in the nineteenth century. The competition was open to candidates from anywhere in the world who planned to carry out innovative and adventurous projects in the spirit of James Holman. See the press releases for further information.

Debbie S.

Today, we announce the first-ever winners of The Holman Prize. We couldn’t be more excited about these three – of their compelling projects, personalities and ambition – but also of their warmth and humanity. These are names and faces we are proud to share with the world and put forward to represent the aspirations of the global blindness community: Ahmet Ustunel, Penny Melville-Brown and Ojok Simon.

The official announcement went live on our website just a few minutes ago, and press releases (attached as Word Docs, with images inside) will be sent out by us to a large press list today. The Washington Post is planning to run a story in the morning as well, which should generate some great attention for this announcement.

Links for email and social media:

The 2017 Holman Prizewinners Announcement <http://lighthouse-sf.org/blog/lighthouse-announces-three-inaugural-holman-prizewinners/>

Meet Ahmet Ustunel: the Blind Kayaker <http://lighthouse-sf.org/blog/meet-ahmet-ustunel-blind-kayaker-and-holman-prizewinner/>

Meet Penny Melville-Brown: the Blind Baker <http://lighthouse-sf.org/blog/meet-penny-melville-brown-blind-baker-and-holman-prizewinner/>