[Iabs-talk] FW: ICBV Office Update May 21, 2018

davant1958 at gmail.com davant1958 at gmail.com
Mon May 21 22:03:15 UTC 2018

Denise R. Avant, President

(773)-991-8050

Live the life you want.

For more information about NFBI,

go to www.nfbofillinois.org.

From: Kathy Ungaro <icbv at sbcglobal.net>
Sent: Monday, May 21, 2018 3:57 PM
To: Kathy Ungaro <icbv at sbcglobal.net>
Subject: ICBV Office Update May 21, 2018

ICBV Office Update

May 21, 2018

*1) Calendar of Events

*2) NABM Let Congress Hear from You: Just Say No to Rest Area Commercialization

*3) NAMA = Wrap-Up of the Hot-Button Issues

*4) IAMC Legislative Report

*5) NABM – The BLITZ

*6) Can dark chocolate improve vision?

*7) iOS Apps Developed Specifically for Blind or Low Vision Users

*8) Be My Eyes App

*9) Summer Sailing

*10) Ford's Feel the View tech helps the blind see in cars

*11) This Week on Eyes On Success

*12) Wearable device IDs faces, reads text for the blind

*13) KNFB Reader Version 3.0

*14) About BlindSquare Enabled Airports

**1 Calendar of Events

May 21-23, 2018

NABM Goes to the Hill in Washington D.C.

The National Association of Blind Merchants

Critical Issues Conference

May 21-23, 2018

It's not too late to register for NABM's Critical Issues Conference which is set for May 21-23, 2018, in D.C.  The conference will bring together nationally known experts as we explore the critical issues being faced by the Randolph-Sheppard Program today.  The conference will also feature time on The Hill so participants can educate their members of Congress about these critical issues.  On May 22nd, we will be conducting roundtable discussions with key federal agencies including the Department of Transportation to discuss rest area commercialization and the General Services Administration to discuss challenges faced by blind entrepreneurs on federal properties.  We kick things off at 3:15 P.M. on Monday, May 21st and wrap up by noon on Wednesday, May 23rd.  It will be a busy 48 hours in our nation's capitol and you don't want to miss it.

If you plan on participating in our Educational Day on the Hill on Tuesday, May 22nd, we need for you to register so appointments can be made with your members of Congress.  Go to https://blindmerchants.org/day-hill-may-21-22-2018/ .  Complete the registration form and submit.  We will make appointments for you with your members of Congress.  It couldn't be easier than that.

The host hotel will be the Marriott Key Bridge Hotel, 1401 Lee Highway, Arlington, Virginia, 22209.     <http://www.marriott.com/meeting-event-hotels/group-corporate-travel/groupCorp.mi?resLinkData=NABM%20DC%20Fly%20In%20and%20ECM%20Training%5EWASKB%60NAFNAFR%60199.00%60USD%60false%604%605/17/18%605/26/18%604/26/18&app=resvlink&stop_mobi=yes> BOOK YOUR HOTEL HERE>.  You may also call 703-524-6400 and ask for the NABM Fly In rate which is $199.00.  We have a block of rooms for the nights of May 20, 21, and 22.  We are almost out of rooms but we are trying to expand the room block.  If the on-line site says rooms are not available, try calling the hotel.  They can sometimes override the system and still book your room.  There are still rooms available at a slightly higher rate than our contracted rate.  There are many other hotels in the area if you are unable to get into the host hotel.

If you have problems registering or booking a room or want to see the draft agenda, feel free to contact Terry Smith at terrysmith at epbfi.com <mailto:terrysmith at epbfi.com>  or 865-599-7148.

July 3-8, 2018

NFB National Convention

Place: Rosen Shingle in Orlando Florida

Join the largest gathering of the blind next year.

If you're coming to the National Convention in Orlando and will be requesting communications accommodations, you will need to complete the attached Attendee Form and return it to the Jernigan institute - jerniganinstitute at nfb.org <mailto:jerniganinstitute at nfb.org>   - by May 25, 2018. Please note that requests received after May 25, 2018 may not be honored.

The form is a fillable pdf. It asks for your preferred way to receive information in a workshop/seminar. Once the convention agenda is published, someone from the Jernigan Institute will follow up with you to determine which workshops, seminars and events you will be attending.

If you have difficulty opening the Attendee Form or completing it, please let me know. Also, please reply to this email if you have any questions.

Please forward this email and the Attendee Form to anyone you know who may need communications accommodations.

Thanks, and I'll look forward to seeing you at convention!

Alice Eaddy, President

Deaf-Blind Division

July 24-25, 2018

NAMA DC Fly-In

The Fairmont Hotel

2401 M St NW

Washington, DC 20037

For more information visit:

www.namaflyin.org <http://www.namaflyin.org/>

Registration for the 4th annual NAMA Fly-In has surpassed 115 attendees. Be a part of the movement and make your voice count! Attend the NAMA Fly-In, July 24 - 25 in Washington DC, and advocate on issues important to the industry. Participants will be directly educating their Members of Congress on the industry and its economic impact as well as seeking their support for legislation that not only protects the industry, but helps it succeed. This event is going to provide a unique opportunity to formally announce the latest economic impact data on the industry by Congressional District and State. If you haven’t registered - please do so today in just a few minutes: ​www.namaflyin.org <http://www.namaflyin.org/>

November 13-16, 2018

BLAST Conference in San Antonio, Texas

NABM ANNOUNCES SUPER EARLY BIRD RATE FOR BLAST

The 2018 BLAST (Business Leadership and Superior Training) is set for November 13-16 at the magnificent Hyatt Regency Hill Country in San Antonio, Texas. Yes, that is still a little over 6 months away but it will be here before you know it. NABM is offering a Super Early Bird registration rate of $200 if you register before July 13, 2018. That is a whopping one-third off of the standard fee.

Some exciting speakers have been lined up and contracts are being signed to bring outstanding trainers and presenters to this premiere training event that no blind entrepreneur will want to miss. You won’t want to miss it. A terrific staff training is being planned for Tuesday, November 13th with pre-conference breakout sessions that same day. The largest crowd ever is expected so don’t miss out on the opportunity. Register now by going to https://blindmerchants.org/blast-2018-information/. SEE YOU IN THE LONE STAR STATE.

**2 RSA Management Group recently shared this again, if you have not signed off on this yet, please take the time to do so.

Please click on the link in the message below, fill in the boxes (your information) at the bottom of the letter, to automatically generate a letter to our Congress members to try to halt the commercialization of roadside vending. If the bill goes through, 400 to 600 blind vendors will lose their accounts, which will weaken the Randolph Sheppard program.

National Association of Blind Merchants

Let Congress Hear from You: Just Say No to Rest Area Commercialization

President Trump has asked Congress to pass legislation that will allow states to create private / public partnerships to commercialize the interstate rest areas. If Congress does pass such legislation, several hundred blind entrepreneurs will lose their livelihoods as travel plazas with fast food establishments and other retail outlets replace their vending machines. The National Association of Blind Merchants joins other national organizations such as the National Association of Truck Stop Operators, National Association of Convenience Stores, and National Automatic Merchandising Association in opposing such legislation. Congress needs to hear from every blind entrepreneur in the country as well as their friends and families. Congress needs to know how such legislation will impact the lives of blind people. Click on https://nfb.constituentvoice. net/alert/us-nabm_online_ letter_to_congress_ commercialization/message/ congress/write <https://nfb.constituentvoice.net/alert/us-nabm_online_letter_to_congress_commercialization/message/congress/write> , fill in your contact information, and hit “Submit.” A letter from you will be generated and sent to both of your U.S. Senators and your member in the House of Representatives. Then ask your friends and families to do the same. Post it on social media. Let’s generate thousands of letters.

**3 Shared by NAMA = Wrap-Up of the Hot-Button Issues

Dear Members,

The industry continues to face a dizzying array of issues at the state and local level. The first four months of 2018 saw State Councils opposing rest stop privatization, fighting for tax exemptions, and securing clarity for micro markets.  State Councils in nearly every corner of the country held Convenience Services Days to meet with legislators and build actionable relationships. NAMA’s government affairs division has been managing issues impacting various parts of the industry at all levels of government - federal, state and local. Below is a wrap-up of the hot-button issues confronting the industry.

https://www.namanow.org/pdf/April-2018-RoundUp.pdf

Sincerely,

The NAMA Government Affairs Team

**4 IAMC Legislative Report on the 100th General Assembly

2018 Spring Session May 18, 2018 Prepared by BP Consultants

Both chambers were in session this week. The legislature returns on Monday, May 21st and is scheduled to work straight through May 31st. Friday, May 25th is the deadline to report Senate bills from the House and House bills from the Senate.

Governor Rauner and the four legislative leaders met twice this week to discuss the budget. Leaders from both sides reported progress in budget talks Thursday and said they were optimistic they would finish by the end of the month. Senate President Cullerton said that negotiations “are going well” and that there’s general agreement on revenue and spending but they still have to close a “gap.” The budget groups will continue to meet and will provide an inventory on Monday of outstanding issues for the leaders to address, including various pension proposals. One outstanding issue is Rauner’s request for a separate appropriation bill for capital improvements for the Veterans Home in Quincy, but the Democrats want it included in the overall budget. Senate Republican Leader Brady said the home needs to be taken care of, and should be dealt with as a standalone bill, but the budget process needs to speed up. “I know the governor is anxious that we don’t run into the same problems that we have in the past,” Brady said. “So the pace needs to pick up. We need to do that.”

Rauner’s director of the Governor’s Office of Management and Budget, Hans Zigmund, told a Senate Appropriations committee Wednesday that the governor's proposed budget for FY19 has a 10% percent reduction in the Local Government Distributive Fund (LGDF), something that would save the state $131 million. Senator Hastings asked Zigmund for suggestions on how local governments should handle the proposed reduction. "So you want them to go ahead and raise local taxes, is that what you want?” Hastings asked. “The same thing that the state of Illinois has to do or any other unit of government has to do and they can institute either cost savings measures or renegotiate contracts,” Zigmund said. Several mayors from central Illinois communities said while they didn't like it, they accepted the FY18 cut as temporary and any long-term reductions would mean fewer services for their residents. The conversation then turned to how the state could help cities control their pension costs. Both Decatur and Springfield mayors said all of their municipal portion of local property taxes go to pay local pension costs. Decatur Mayor Julie Moore Wolfe said it wasn't always that way. Illinois Municipal League Executive Director Brad Cole said the organization and its members have been trying to address the pension issue for some time to no avail. He said they have five bills for municipal pension consolidation at the statehouse that "could save millions, not one, millions, like a hundred million dollars for municipalities.” Another element of the Governor’s cost savings plan that Zigmund presented was withholding funds for downstate transit programs to save the state $62 million and shifting health insurance costs that would save even more money.

On Monday Governor Rauner returned the bill to require a 72-hour cooling period for purchases of assault weapons with his recommendations for changes. The amendatory veto of HB 1468 (Representative Carroll and Senator Morrison) adds provisions to extend the cooling period to all gun purchases and proposes to reinstate the death penalty for mass murderers and murders of police officers. Other provisions include banning bump stocks and trigger cranks, and allowing law enforcement or family members to petition a judge to temporarily seize firearms from those deemed to be a danger to themselves or others. “This is a thoughtful package of proposals that are balanced from the different points of view, the different needs, the different risks, that are in front of the people of Illinois,” Rauner said. “It’s good policy, it’s a balance.” Democrats accused Rauner of playing election year politics with public safety. Senate President Cullerton said “the death penalty should never be used as a political tool to advance one’s agenda.”  The House sponsor, Representative Carroll said, “I was disturbed to learn through the media—and not from the governor himself—that Governor Rauner had made completely unvetted changes to my bill. While I’m new to this Legislature, I’m shocked that the governor’s approach to an issue that has long divided Republicans and Democrats is to veto bipartisan legislation and substitute his own language at the last minute, without any consultation from the bill’s sponsors, supporters, or even from his own bipartisan gun safety task force.”

Speaker Madigan’s office called into question the constitutionality of making such sweeping changes through an amendatory veto. “The House has for decades had a process where amendatory vetoes are reviewed to determine whether they comply with the constitution,” said Steve Brown, spokesman for Madigan. “I’m not certain what (the death penalty) necessarily has to do with gun violence or guns.” In response, the provisions contained in the amendatory veto of HB 1468 were filed as a House amendment to SB 2580 (Senator Mulroe and Representative Carroll). Madigan said, “The issues the governor raised in his amendatory veto of HB 1468 deserve a full hearing and consideration before the House. With this in mind, we have filed an amendment to SB 2580, containing the exact language the governor suggested. The amendment will be sent directly to the House floor this morning and a subject matter hearing on the measure will be held on Monday afternoon. We look forward to hearing from stakeholders and continuing our effort to keep our children, our schools and our communities safe from senseless gun violence.” The House Judiciary Committee is scheduled to hold a subject matter hearing on HB 1468 and SB 2580 at 2:00PM on Monday in Springfield.

The Senate has passed a new gun dealer licensing compromise bill. The bipartisan package of gun measures aimed at tackling illegal trafficking and requiring state-level certification of gun dealers was introduced Tuesday as amendments to SB 337 (Senator Harmon and Representative Wills). The amendments were adopted and the bill passed the Senate on a vote of 35-18-2. The measure is now in the House for consideration. If signed into law, it would require gun dealers to certify their federal license with the State Police. It also calls for a study of gun trafficking data and imposes a penalty on private dealers who fail to keep adequate records of private sales. The effort rose from the failed attempt to license gun shops at the state level, as contained in SB 1657 (Senator Harmon and Representative Willis) which was vetoed by Governor Rauner. In response to the provisions, Rauner said the motivation for the new bill is “political grandstanding, grabbing for headlines rather than trying to get real improvement for the people of Illinois.”

A vote in the full House on the federal Equal Rights Amendment didn’t happen this week. Senate Joint Resolution Constitutional Amendment 4 (Senator Steans and Representative Lang) was reported out of the House Human Services Committee on a partisan roll call of 7-5-0 and is on Second Reading in the House. Representative Lang said he and other ERA supporters are close to getting enough votes in the House. “I will call it when I think the time is right,” Lang said Wednesday. “Today for instance, I think there are some attendance issues. We have two or three people who won’t be there who would be ‘yes’ votes, so I certainly will not be calling it today.” A Republican supporter of the ERA, Representative Andersson, said the committee vote doesn’t necessarily mean most Republicans will vote against it in the long run.  The Senate already has approved the measure.

Other legislation that moved forward this week includes:

SB 2387 (Senator Morrison and Representative Mussman) – The language in this bill was introduced following the Waffle House shooting in Tennessee. Authorities have said the alleged shooter’s firearm owner’s identification card previously had been revoked and his guns transferred to his father, who then returned them. The measure aims to prevent similar situations by allowing for a minimum of 1 year in jail for people who return firearms without first checking to see if the recipient has a valid license. There’s currently no punishment on the books. The bill passed the Senate on a vote of 42-10-1 and now goes to the House for consideration.

SB 2892 (Senator Manar) – This bill provides a schedule to phase-in a minimum salary for full-time public school teachers of $40,000 per year. The measure passed the Senate on a vote of 37-16-0 and now goes to the House for consideration.

HB 4870 (Representative Lang and Senator Castro) – This bill will permit medical marijuana use in schools. If made law, parents, guardians or other caregivers registered with the Department of Public Health could administer the legal medicinal version of marijuana on school grounds and buses to students approved to use it. School boards would be allowed to prohibit some uses of it if it’s disruptive to class or would expose other students to the drug. The measure passed the Senate on a vote of 50-2-0 and now goes to the Governor for review.

>From May 4th:

In a report issued by the Illinois Economic Policy Institute, it is estimated that the State of Illinois needs an additional $21 billion a year to pay for repairs to its infrastructure. “If some changes aren’t made soon, the problem’s just going to continue in the long run,” IEPI transportation policy analyst Mary Craighead said. She pointed to the Legionnaires' disease outbreak in the Quincy veterans’ home as an example of problems of the state’s failing infrastructure. The report from the nonprofit outlined six areas of state funding that would make up the tab in FY19 and beyond: State-owned facilities - $7.3 billion; Higher education - $5.5 billion; PreK-12 education - $3.83 billion; IDOT roads and bridges - $1.70 billion; Chicago’s Regional Transit Authority - $2.72 billion; and Downstate transit - $200 million. The report is largely silent on how the state could foot the massive bill. It notes that federal infrastructure funding proposed by President Trump won't solve the state's infrastructure problems.

The House Revenue and Finance Committee held a hearing on HR 1025 (Speaker Madigan) that supports the implementation of a progressive income tax in Illinois. Testimony was taken from supporters and opponents. The measure is only advisory because it will take a constitutional amendment to change from a flat tax rate to a graduated income tax rate. It’s too late to get the question before voters on the November ballot, which means the earliest that could happen is 2020. Proponents say the measure if more fair and shifts the tax burden onto the wealthiest and away from the poor and middle class. The opponents decried the idea as an attempt at “class warfare” to score political points ahead of the November election.

Upcoming Important Dates and Deadlines:

May 25, 2018 – Third Reading Deadline for Senate Bills in the House and House Bills in the Senate

May 31, 2018 – Scheduled Adjournment

**5 NABM – The BLITZ by Terry Smith

Sometimes, one must wonder if people really take the time to read The Blitz. It can be lengthy and people live busy lives. However, judging by the number of people who have asked, “Where’s The Blitz?” “Do you guys still do The Blitz?” “Hey, did I miss The Blitz?” I guess at least some of you are reading it. I apologize for the extra couple of months between issues but things have been hectic. So, enough excuses. Lets’ get on with what’s going on in the Randolph-Sheppard world. Read the publication at: https://blindmerchants.org/blitz-spring-2018/

**6 Shared by Nicky Gacos, President NABM

Can dark chocolate improve vision? Monique Tello, MD, MPH Posted May 03, 2018

It was very fitting: I had just finished a square of 86% cacao dark chocolate when I got the email about yet another study suggesting health benefits of dark chocolate. In addition, I had just returned from vacation in Guatemala, the land of the Maya. It was the Maya who discovered the usefulness of the seeds of the cacao plant in 2,000 BC, seeds they roasted and ground into a drink fit for kings.

Health benefits of dark chocolate

Many studies have shown that chocolate has health benefits. An analysis of several studies that included data on over 500,000 participants found that those who regularly eat dark chocolate (two to three 30-gram servings per week) had a lower risk of developing diabetes, heart disease, and strokes. In another study of over 2,000 participants, the more chocolate they reported eating (up to twice per week), the less coronary artery plaque they had. And the studies go on and on… We have a pretty good idea that chocolate is good for your cardiovascular health.

This most recent study looked at the effect of milk vs. dark chocolate on three types of visual perception: visual acuity, large and small letter contrast sensitivity. The researchers found that there were improvements in all measures two hours after ingestion of a 47-gram dark chocolate bar (72% cacao).

Read the full story here: https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/can-dark-chocolate-improve-vision-2018050313767

**7 Shared by Nicky Gacos, President NABM

iOS Apps Developed Specifically for Blind or Low Vision Users

There are 125 iOS apps which have been developed specifically for the blind or people with low vision. Utilizing the potential of Apple's iOS platform, these apps can assist with everyday tasks, increase independence and generally make things easier. Note: This list does not include games.

Look around the website to see other items that may be of interest to individuals with low or no vision. https://www.applevis.com/apps/ios-apps-for-blind-and-vision-impaired

**8 Shared by Blind Perspective

Be My Eyes By Karen Santiago Karen at TheBlindPerspective.com <mailto:Karen at TheBlindPerspective.com>

Early last month I had an eye-opening interview with Alexander Hauerslev Jensen. Alexander is the Community Director for Be My Eyes. Please read on to learn about this fascinating app and its newest features.

Hans Jørgen Wiberg is the creator of Be My Eyes. As a visually impaired person himself, he was interested in creating a platform to link sighted volunteers with blind/ visually impaired individuals in order to assist them with a variety of tasks. After two and a half years in development, the Be My Eyes app was launched in Denmark on January 15, 2015.

Be My eyes had no formal marketing prior to its launch, just word of mouth. Apparently, that worked quite well since after just 24 hours, Be My Eyes had 10,000 volunteers, 1,000 subscribers, and was available in 30 countries! Be My Eyes continued to grow by word of mouth by both the volunteers and the subscribers. Be My Eyes became a global phenomenon, breaking down barriers among sighted and blind individuals. As well as different languages, cultures, and time zones.

The Be My eyes app is free and available on iOS and Android devices. You do not need to have wifi, the app will run off your data usage. The volunteers are available 24 / 7, around the world! Check out these impressive numbers, as of the writing of this article:

Volunteers: 955,000

Blind/ Visually Impaired Subscribers: 70,000

Languages: over 180

Countries: 180

The app is very simple and easy to navigate. Once downloaded, tap onto the “Call first available volunteer” button. Then, usually within 30 seconds you will be connected with a volunteer. Next, point the camera on your phone in the direction of what you want the volunteer to help you with. Users ask for assistance with such things as reading an expiration date, stating the color of a piece of clothing, reading mail, finding something that fell on the floor, sorting a CD or record collection (which I did do recently), and many other tasks.

According to the volunteers, most calls tend to run 2 to 7 minutes long. Although there is no limit to the length of the call, it would be considerate to inform the volunteer at the onset of the call that your task may take a considerable amount of time to complete. If the volunteer is able to devote the time to help with the task, then great, if not, then you can always call again for another volunteer that is able to assist you.

Be My Eyes recently launched a new feature called Specialized Help. Microsoft is the first company to be highlighted here. Once on the app, blind/ low vision users can tap on the Specialized Help button, and then the Microsoft button. Users will then be connected with a member of the Microsoft Disability Answer Desk to get support on questions about their Microsoft product or service.

Be my Eyes has received over 600 suggestions for other company’s support lines to add to this platform. They are currently working with several other organizations in hopes of adding them soon. There will be different categories within the Specialized Help. These may include assistive technology, banking, and transportation, just to name a few.

B My Eyes latest feature is Community Stories. On the main page of the app, in the lower left-hand corner tap onto the Stories tab. Once in there, you can flick through the different story titles. If you want to listen to one, just tap on the title, then the play button. These are inspirational, funny, and educational stories from both volunteers and users from around the world.

Alexander concluded the interview with these words: “there are different solutions for different demands & needs. We at Be My Eyes, have a philosophy that our accessible product should always remain free for our blind and low vision users.”

Contact information:

Website: BeMyEyes.com

Facebook: Facebook.com/BeMyEyesapp

Twitter: twitter.com/bemyeyes

**9 Shared by Second Sense

Summer Sailing Summer is just around the corner -- wouldn’t it be awesome to spend some summertime fun learning how to sail on Lake Michigan?  The Judd Goldman Adaptive Sailing program can give you that opportunity!  The program for people with disabilities includes both classroom and on-water instruction.  The sailboats are built specifically for sailors with disabilities, are equipped with important safety features and designed for stability.  If you would like to learn more, why not attend their annual open house on Saturday, June 2 from 10: 00 am to 4:00 pm at the Judd Goldman Sailing Center, 1362 Linn White Dr., Burnham Harbor.  For more information, call 312-644-3200 or visit www.juddgoldmansailing.org <http://www.juddgoldmansailing.org/>  .

**10 Shared by Joe Urbanek

Watch how Ford's Feel the View tech helps the blind see in cars

A clever Braille-like device for car windows could help the visually impaired see the world, especially in a future of autonomous cars.

Chris Paukert May 1, 2018

Ford has developed a bit of clever cabin technology in the last place you might think would benefit from it -- the windows. The tech, called "Feel The View," uses vibrations in a vehicle's side glass to give the visually impaired a 'view' of what's outside.

Designed in Italy by Ford in collaboration with Aedo (a startup that develops products for the visually impaired), and agency GTB Roma, this novel device uses a built-in external-facing camera which converts the image of the view into a grayscale image. Those various shades of gray are then translated into vibrations of varying intensity that can be felt by a person's finger on the window itself, affording an almost Braille-like view of the surrounding topography. The system generates up to 255 different levels of vibration through the window.

Find the full story and video here:

http://fordeurope.blogspot.com/2018/04/feel-view-smart-window-for-blind.html

**11 This Week on Eyes On Success

1820 Encore of 1725 Low Vision Optometry (May 16, 2018)

There is no question that people with vision problems should be seen by an

ophthalmologist to evaluate their condition. Low vision specialists, on the other hand, aim to provide solutions to help in daily living. Hosts Nancy and Peter Torpey talk with Dr. George Kornfeld, a low vision optometrist, about aids and services that you might find beneficial.

1819 FlickType Accessible Smart Keyboard for iOS Devices (May 9, 2018)

FlickType is a smart keyboard designed especially for blind users of iOS

devices. No need to tap the exact location of keys. Fast and accurate, just

sit back and enjoy typing and hear the results. Hosts Nancy and Peter Torpey talk with Ashley and Kosta Eleftheriou about how the keyboard works and why it is so efficient to use, even if you can't see.

1818 Radio Reading Services - Behind the Scenes Tour (May 2, 2018)

Yes, you can now use the Google Assistant or Alexa to listen to the streams from many radio reading services. Hosts Nancy and Peter Torpey take a tour of the Audio Information Network of Colorado and see how some of these new distribution methods work, meet some of the staff, and learn what it takes to make these services available to the print impaired.

In case you missed it, here is the first episode of the series:

1817 Radio Reading Services - An Overview (Apr. 25, 2018)

Advances in technology and distribution methods have dramatically impacted how traditional radio reading services deliver content to people who are print impaired and what content is available. Hosts Nancy and Peter Torpey talk with David Dawson, Executive Director of the Audio Information Network of Colorado, about what services are available.

The audio and show notes can be found at:

www.EyesOnSuccess.net <http://www.eyesonsuccess.net/>

and the podcast can be found on iTunes.

Return to Top <https://mail.yahoo.com/neo/launch?.src=ym&reason=myc&soc_src=mail&soc_trk=ma#_top>

**12 Shared by Nicky Gacos, President NABM

Wearable device IDs faces, reads text for the blind [THE BIG IDEA] - Story | WNYW

Take a moment and visit

http://www.fox5ny.com/news/myeye-wearable-device-blind

**13 Shared by Chris Danielsen – NFBNET

Great news! The world's best print-reading app for the blind and print-disabled is now even better. KNFB Reader Version 3.0, from the National Federation of the Blind and Sensotec NV, is now available in the Apple App Store. KNFB Reader 3.0 represents the continued evolution of over forty years of text recognition technology. It now has more features for a wider variety of users than ever.

Since its first release in 2014, KNFB Reader has been allowing users all over the world to get access to print anytime and anywhere. The latest version of this award-winning app sports a new look and feel to help you work better and faster. Navigation within the app is easier, with tabs at the bottom of the home screen to access key functions quickly and easily. The enhanced cloud support for Dropbox, GoogleDrive and OneDrive allows easy access to all your documents when and where you need them.

KNFB Reader 3.0 now reads ebooks and documents in the increasingly popular ePub format, as well as PDFs (image or text, tagged or untagged). This makes it ideal for students and professionals who must read content in multiple formats from multiple sources. The app is also customizable, so that people with different reading needs can tailor its settings to meet those needs. Now able to recognize and read documents in over thirty languages, KNFB Reader 3.0 is a comprehensive reading solution for people who are blind or who have low vision, dyslexia, or other reading differences.

KNFB Reader 3.0 is a free update for existing customers. For new customers, the app is now available for USD $99.

To learn more about KNFB Reader 3.0, visit www.knfbreader.com <http://www.knfbreader.com/>  .

If you already have the app and love it, help us spread the word to others. You can also follow us on Facebook and Twitter to join the conversation about KNFB Reader 3.0. We love to hear from our users. Share your favorite KNFB Reader story with us!

**14 Shared by David Andrews – NFBNET

About BlindSquare Enabled Airports

MIPsoft, makers of BlindSquare, the most used waypoint  navigation solution for persons who are blind or partially sighted,  has created a special version of BlindSquare, made available for use when entering or exiting BlindSquare Enabled Airports.

Access is enabled through the BlindSquare Event app , available for free on the iTunes store.

Travellers arriving at BlindSquare Enabled Airports, whether by ground or air, will be able to activate BlindSquare Airport Event automatically be provided with free use, regardless of location and continue with the support of BlindSquare EVENT for the next 7 days.

When arriving by ground (for departure), or by air (on arrival),  BlindSquare Airport EVENT is ready for use at ANY destination airport on the globe.   This, to assist in completing the journey to connect to ground transportation on arrival, hotels, meetings, places to eat and places of fun, supported with all the tools of BlindSquare and 105,000,000+ points of interest globally.  When returning to any sponsored airport, the 7 day counter is renewed, for another 7 days.

Interactive maps:

US airports (Sponsored by Bank of America),

Canadian Airports (sponsored by Canadian National Institute for the Blind <CNIB>)  and

New Zealand Airports (sponsored by Blind Foundation), you can mouse-over Pins on the map for details.

Link to list of all enabled airports

At BlindSquare Enabled Airports:

BlindSquare’s value begins when stepping outside and connecting to GPS satellites.

BlindSquare will also make available scheduled flight information, with the caveat that for most airports this information should be used with caution as this information does not include live updates.

For airports covered with Apple Maps indoors, the service will enable the creation of personal points of interest (POIs) in a manner identical to travel outdoors.

Travellers arriving at BlindSquare Enabled Airports, whether by ground or air, will be able to activate BlindSquare Airport Event and automatically be provided with free use of the app for the next seven days. This access remains active when the user arrives at their destination, regardless of whether that airport is BlindSquare Enabled – so that users can complete their journey and connect to local ground transportation, hotels and amenities. When returning to any sponsored airport, app access is renewed for another seven days to facilitate the journey home.

Join us, in the celebration of independent travel as the ribbon is cut on Global Accessibility Awareness day 2017.  Press releases will be released in tandem with national blindness organizations in Canada and New Zealand (Canadian National Institute for the Blind (CNIB) and Blind Foundation) and the US sponsor (Bank of America).

More information/User support

Videos:

*	A typical journey using BlindSquare <https://www.google.com/url?q=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v%3DJqU_jM_vkqc%26feature%3Dyoutu.be&sa=D&ust=1526611622236000>
*	BlindSquare announces streets <https://www.google.com/url?q=https://youtu.be/fp60sFVYD1U&sa=D&ust=1526611622236000>