[Iabs-talk] 2019 NFBI Convention Theme Ideas Needed

Deborah Kent Stein dkent5817 at att.net
Wed May 8 16:39:28 UTC 2019

I like it!

-----Original Message-----
From: IABS-Talk [mailto:iabs-talk-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Ayoub
Zurikat via IABS-Talk
Sent: Wednesday, May 08, 2019 10:00 AM
To: Illinois Association of Blind Students List <iabs-talk at nfbnet.org>
Cc: Ayoub Zurikat <ayoub.zurikat.nfb at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Iabs-talk] 2019 NFBI Convention Theme Ideas Needed

Hey guys. I've always had this topic on my mind. It's almost an attempt to
correct a cultural narrative. For the most part, people who do not struggle
with clear or declared disabilities seem to think that those who do have
clear disabilities always need help. The disabled population is always
portrayed as that population that needs accommodations, assistance, help
etc. I would love to counter that narrative. I think that people who
struggle with clear or declared disabilities have a lot to offer. We are
professional, efficient, successful, leaders, creators etc. The challenge is
that sometimes those who struggle with disabilities seem to accept The
cultural narrative. So I'm wondering if, On The Cutting Edge of Leadership,
would be a good theme for the convention

Sent from my iPhone

<iabs-talk at nfbnet.org> wrote:

> I like this suggestion.

IABS-Talk: