[IABS-Talk] At Large chaptger minutes-March 2020

Marilyn Green marilynvgreen at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 12:06:56 UTC 2020

At Large Minutes

March 1, 2020

Those present include Yvonne Agyarko,  David Meyer, Ryan Willms, Charlene Elder, Bill Reif, Marilyn Green, Danny Mandrell Natalie Shaheen, Bridget Burke, Debbie Stein,

The meeting came to order at 7:10 PM.
Bill moved and Marilyn seconded to approve the February Minutes. It was approved.
Dave lead the Pledge.
Leslie Hamric joined us. The Presidential Release was played from February.
This was Release 491 for February, 2020.

There is a lot of information on our website about National Convention. Information is available in the Monitor and on website about our convention arrangements especially for first-timers. nfb.org/convention. There was a luncheon in Houston about our convention. The Monitor has been alive since 1957. Members are asked to talk about a survey for the Monitor Survey is at surveymonkey.com/tbraillemonitor call 6 6 7-8 8 8-2 4 5 Please complete the survey. Dream makers Circle included Chris Nussbaum, and Will and Patti Eidington. These members are from Marilyn. Pac plan from Pennsylvania and Connecticut are the newest contributors.

John Espera from Colorado lost Ms. Margaret Williams, Tosha France Bill Neil of Columbia, Mo and a California member. Betty Woodward of Connecticut also.

Isabella, Michelle Martinez was born. We congratulate the parents and welcome Isabella.

The period for application for both scholarships  is November 1. Deadline is March 31, 11:59 Eastern time and 11:59 CST for the NFBI State Program. For national scholarships, go to nfb.org/scholarships. Illinois is Nfbofillinois.org/scholarships. The requirements are student must be legally blind, reside in the United States or Puertorico and he/she must be enrolled full-time. one scholarship may be given to someone who is working and attending school together. One must request a letter from the State President for the national scholarship. For the state program the legally blind student must be a resident of Illinois and must attend and participate in the convention. The state applicant will be interviewed prior to the decision to accept. Denise has spoken with ORS and requested they fund students for the Midwest Seminar. Registration is not closed yet. One should contact Debbie Stein or Patti Chang for registration for the Midwest Seminar. Get your room reservations in for the National Convention. If you need financial assistance, you may apply for a Kenneth Jernigan Scholarship. Send a letter by March 31 describing your involvement with your chapter. Send to Denise Avant who will forward it to the Jernigan Scholarship Committee. You can apply online by April 15, but you still need to contact Denise for a letter of support. Go to www.nfb.org you can also apply for the Chappell-Dennis funding. Must submit this app by May 1. There will be an orientation call for first-timer. August 29, 2020 the Sheraton Lisle, Naperville Hotel. You can also apply for financial assistance before September 1, 2020. Will be October 30-November 1.
There are 2 bills that would substantially reduce our priority. We need to let legislators know how much we oppose these items. These are in the House so far. HB-3986 this bill would change the language that we have priority to operate locations on half of the state locations. It would further create multiple locations within state agencies. Over time, when somebody transferred out, there would be splitting of the locations with no more locations added   than 6 vending machines. HB-5232 which is assigned to a state government committee. This bill would keep any monies from being spent on facilities other than those on state property. It would actually keep venders from operating on federal property and it would keep vendors from operating on private locations. It is being proposed by people who think we are competing unfairly. That bill is set for hearing by the State Government Committee and the hearing is Wednesday. What we need is for people to contact their respective representative on both bills. Contact Bill or Dave if you need to know your state representative. There is a look-up link on ilga.gov. Go to the mobile version because it is more accessible. Put in your address and you should be able to find your legislator. For 3986 is Kelly Cassidy. The sponsor for 5232 is Michael Unes.

Ten people attended the Seminar. There were 20 people at the seminar. There was a congressional reception at the Russell Senate Building. We had a full day of appointments on Tuesday. There was a full day Wednesday also. Issues were HR-2086 (s-815) in the senate which is the access technology affordability Act which provides a $2,000.00 tax credit over a 3 year period of time. After the 3 years it would renew if the bill is approved. Illinois leads the country with eight co-sponsors. Jan Schakowsky, Ray La hood, Chewy Garcia, Brad Schneider, Rodney Davis, our newest co-sponsor is Robin Kelly. S-3095 is also a bill. The Aim High Bill will create a commission that will create guidelines to use when a blind student is present on campus. We have Robin Kelly and Raja Krishnamoorthi. Call these sponsors. Hr-3929 the greater independence for nonvisual access, the Gain Act. This bill will have minimum standards for home appliances, medical devices, to have accessible standards. Going forward the appliances can be made accessible. Ellen Bartels also joined us. Jemal Powell joined the meeting.
Re Hb5232 there is a hearing on March 4 at 2:00 PM in Stratton Building Room 413. This was State Government Administrative Committee. Our next meeting will be April 5. Dave moved to adjourn, Yvonne seconded it. The meeting  adjourned at 8:30 PM.

Respectfully Submitted,

Charlene Elder,
Secretary At Large Chapter