[IABS-Talk] From President Riccobono' s Notebook - Washington Seminar Initiatives

davant1958 at gmail.com davant1958 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 7 15:43:57 UTC 2020

Hello Everyone,

Below is information about our  legislative agenda during Washington
seminar. Nine people have been selected to represent our affiliate on
Capitol Hill, but we should all be familiar with our legislative
initiatives, because we can all be advocates. If you have questions, contact
our federal legislation chair, Marilyn Green at marilynvgreen at gmail.com
<mailto:marilynvgreen at gmail.com> . In addition to the links in this e-mail,
you will be able to find the fact sheets on NFB Newsline. Thank you.

"In more Washington Seminar news, below are brief descriptions of our three
legislative priorities for the 2020 Washington Seminar, including links to
the fact sheets for each.

Access Technology Affordability Act (ATAA) (H.R. 2086/S. 815)
<https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/advocacy/legislative-agenda/access-te
chnology-affordability>
The cost of critically needed access technology is out of reach for most
blind Americans. By providing a refundable tax credit for qualifying
purchases, Congress will stimulate individual procurement of this technology
and promote affordability of these tools.

Greater Access and Independence through Nonvisual Access Technology (GAIN)
Act (H.R. 3929)
<https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/advocacy/legislative-agenda/greater-a
ccess-independence-nonvisual-access-technology>
Advanced digital interfaces create barriers that prevent blind individuals
from independently operating essential devices that enhance quality of life.
Congress must end the digital divide that threatens the independence of
blind Americans by developing minimum accessibility requirements for such
devices.

Accessible Instructional Materials in Higher Education (AIM HIGH) Act (H.R.
5312/S. 3095)
<https://www.nfb.org/programs-services/advocacy/legislative-agenda/accessibl
e-instructional-materials-higher-education>
Until a market-driven solution for accessible instructional materials is
achieved, blind college students are denied access to critical course
content. The AIM HIGH Act will remove these barriers to equality in the
classroom by creating a set of guidelines that clearly define accessible
instructional materials."

Denise R. Avant, Esq.

President,

773-991-8050