[IABS-Talk] chicago minutes March, 2020

David Meyer datemeyer at sbcglobal.net
Wed May 6 16:17:21 UTC 2020

The meeting began at 1:00 pm. Due to the absence of Chicago Chapter
president David Meyer, who was  ill, and several chapter board members
conducting the NFBI business, board member Deborah Stein  chaired the
meeting.

PROGRAM:

Robert Hansen played a portion of an interview that Ken Borst did with NFBI
Sate President Denise  Avant for Adapt Chicago Productions on CAN TV (Cable
Access Network) and they do disability-related  programming. Denise talked
about some of the programs of NFB, including the BELL (Braille Enrichment
Literacy and Learning) program in Springfield and Chicago, Freedom Link,
national and state  scholarship programs, internship program, free white
cane program, Braille reading pals and early  explorers program.

INTRODUCTIONS: We had 3 people joining us for the first time, Kudzai from
Zimbabwe, William Chism,  and Ellen Bartelt, who is on the student board. We
had a total of 23 people at the meeting.

Chapter treasurer Steve Hastalis reminded us for those who did not pay their
chapter dues that  dues must be paid by the end of this chapter meeting in
order to vote for chapter officers and  board of directors in May. Dues are
$5.

PRESIDENTIAL RELEASE #492 ON 3/4/20:

President Riccobono stated that NFB had its 89th leadership seminar over the
leap weekend. In  February, we had our Washington Seminar. A few highlights
at the Washington Seminar at the Great  Gathering In, we had representative
Bobby Scott from Virginia's third congressional district. He is  chairman of
the house committee on education and labor and he is the primary sponsor of
H.R. #873,  which is the Transformation to Competitive Employment Act.
Chairman Scott gave us a rousing speech  at the gathering in. We had a great
congressional reception with a record number of members of  Congress coming
to greet us. Fifteen members of Congress showed up at our congressional
reception  You can read more about the Washington Seminar in the April issue
of the Braille Monitor. In the  senate, our AccessTechnology Affordability
Act (S #815), we picked up 5 cosponsors at the  Washington Seminar, now has
20 cosponsors. In the house Access Technology Affordability Act (HR  #2086),
we picked up 27 cosponsors for a total of 76. In the GAIN Act in the house
(HR #3929), we  picked up 16 cosponsors. leaving us at 20 cosponsors. For
the senate AIM High bill (S #3095), we  picked up 1 cosponsor bringing us to
6. For the house version of AIM High (HR #5312), we picked up  24
cosponsors, bringing us to 28.

The online registration for the 2020 national convention of NFB is open. We
will be in Houston from  July 14 to 19. You can register online now and it
will be open to you through May 31. You get a  price break for registering
online. You can avoid some of the hassle in line at the convention. If  you
register online, your cost will be $25 per person for registration, $70 for
a banquet ticket.  Prices go up after the online registration closes. One of
the new things we have added into the  registration process this year is
that you can also register your children to participate in NFB  Camp. If you
do not do so, you may not have a spot for them in our childcare program at
the  national convention. A reminder for first-timers that we do have
Kenneth Jernigan scholarship funds  available for first-timers. You can get
all of our convention information including the  registration link online at
nfb.org/convention.

One quick reminder about our Braille Monitor survey. You can still complete
it through April 1, so  please do so. We're getting a great response. You
can still do so online by going to  SurveyMonkey.com/R/Braille Monitor (all
one word) or you can dial 667-888-2454.

The NFB of New Jersey Student Division is the latest contributor on a
monthly basis to our  Preauthorized Contribution Program (PAC Plan). Also,
we have our Dream Makers Circle, which is a  circle of individuals who have
made a commitment to leave a legacy gift to NFB upon their death.  You can
talk to Patty Chang about the options available. You can reach her at
extension 2422 or you  can email her at  pchang at nfb.org . Welcome, David
Wilson Jake the First and Elizabeth Ann Jacobs to our Dream Makers Circle.
We have  our Jacobus tenBroek Disability Law Symposium.

President Riccobono urges each and every one of us to continue to take care
of ourselves and follow  best practices when it relates to health.

At this point, Jemal Powell joined the meeting.

Secretary's Minutes from February 8, 2020: Pam Provost stated that when we
were having the program  on scooters as far as parking on the sidewalks, it
should have read right of way instead of ride  away. The minutes were
accepted.

Treasurer's Report: Steve reported that before this meeting, we had a
balance of $6,490. We  received 1 dues payment and 10 Games Nights, so that
is $255.

COMMITTEE REPORTS:

Local Legislation Committee: Steve stated that we will have a conference
call on 3/10/20 at 7:00 pm  and the phone number is 1605-313-4819 and the
meeting code is 2442246 (Chicago). Steve also said  that at some point, we
will have a new commissioner of the Mayor's Office for People with
Disabilities because the previous holder of that position, Karen Tamley, has
moved on as executive  director of Access Living.

Membership Committee: Robert Hansen, membership committee chair, said that
when all newcomers pay  their dues, give Steve Hastalis your home address,
landline phone number, cell phone number, and  email address so that we can
get you on your database, and then we can do our fanouts. Robert likes  to
copy Dave's email and post it on the affiliate Facebook page. If you see
another blind person,  tell them to come to the meeting.

Robert stated that we had $63 for our monthly collection.

STATE REPORT:

Debbie said that our state and national scholarship applications are due on
March 31. If you are a  student in a post-secondary program, you are
eligible to apply, if you are a full-time student or a  part-time student
and you are working full-time. Please spread the word because this is a
wonderful  opportunity. The top national scholarship is $12,000. All our
national scholarships go down to  $3,000. There are 30 national scholarships
in all. We're looking for academic excellence,  leadership, and community
involvement. Just send the same documents. Send duplicates of all the
documents A document that a student prepares for the national scholarship
can be used for the state  scholarship as well. The state scholarship
application is available at nfbofillinois.org/scholarships. We also have our
internship program. The application is accepted at any time of the year and
the  internship is a wonderful opportunity for students or people that are
out of school and need to  build their resume to get hands-on experience
that they can then go forth and tell prospective  employers about. Anything
that you are interested in doing and you can find a volunteer opportunity
and then you can get paid through the affiliate. Debbie Pittman asked if
there is an age limit for  the internship program and Debbie Stein stated
no. We have our Midwest Student Seminar coming up  from March 20 to March
22. We have students coming in from Nebraska, Georgia, Minnesota, Wisconsin,
Michigan, Iowa, Indiana, and Illinois, Karen Anderson from our National
Office will be there as  well as many other great speakers. Our state
convention is going to take place in Lisle at the  Lisle-Naperville Sheraton
in Lisle from 10/30 to 11/1.

OLD BUSINESS:

Beggar's Pizza fundraiser: Dave reminded us via phone that on April 22, we
will be having a  fundraiser on 4/22, lasting all day. The address is 310
South Clinton Street. Dave says that we do  not have to bring a flyer. All
we need to do is identify that we are with NFBI Chicago Chapter, 20%  of all
of the money that is spent by people who attend as members, friends, or
relations of the  Chicago Chapter. That does not include tax and gratuity.

NEW BUSINESS:

Steve said that the CTA's ADA Advisory Committee will meet on 4/13, at the
CTA's headquarters at  567 West Lake Street, 2nd-floor boardroom. If you
want to make a comment, you can call Nick  Robertson at 641-660-2475or Amy
Serpe at the CTA at 312-681-2608.

The meeting adjourned at 2:03 pm.

Respectfully Submitted: Eileen F. Truschke, secretary.

David Meyer, NFB of Illinois

Coordinator and Channel Administrator, NFB-NewsLine

Chicago Chapter President