[IABS-Talk] President Riccobono's notebook for the week of January 25

Marilyn Green marilynvgreen at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 17:20:06 UTC 2021

News:
Attend the February Presidential Release on February 1—Captioning and Spanish Available:

The February Presidential Release of the National Federation of the Blind will be delivered on Monday, February 1, at 8:00 p.m. eastern. After the remarks
there is an opportunity for questions. Submit questions in advance to
cdanielsen at nfb.org
and put PR502 in the subject line, or call 410-659-9314, extension 2473. Closed captions and Spanish interpretation will be available. Mark your calendars.
Zoom details will be available soon. Learn about the many
ways to participate.

Access Technology Affordability Act Introduced in the House:

Introduced in the House on January 21, the Access Technology Affordability Act legislation removes an employment barrier commonly experienced by blind
Americans who cannot afford the high cost of access technology by creating a refundable tax credit in the amount of $2,000 to be used over a three-year
period to offset the cost of these technologies.
Read the full press release now.

Scholarship Program–Start Applications Now:

The National Federation of the Blind awards more than $120,000 to blind scholars across the country. The application process is open and we encourage students
to start the process now. Review the
scholarship application checklist
and the
scholarship program FAQs.
Share this opportunity that invests in the future of blind people. Learn about the eligibility and requirements of the
2021 NFB Scholarship Program
and start the application process now.

NFB BELL Academy In-Home Edition:

The NFB BELL® Academy In-Home Edition is back and better than ever! This summer, using the Zoom web conferencing platform, two-week-long sessions of the
NFB BELL Academy will take place during the following dates:

·      June 7 through June 18

·      July 19 through July 30

·      August 9 through August 20

This year we will be organizing students into three tracks (beginning, intermediate, and advanced) with lessons in each track that correspond to the students’
current level. In order to make this possible, the deadline to apply will be one month prior to the start of each session. Applications in English and
Spanish will be live on February 15, 2021. For more information, please reach out to Karen Anderson at
kanderson at nfb.org
or at 410-659-9314.

Jacobus tenBroek Disability Law Symposium Registration:

Registration is now open
for the 2021 Jacobus tenBroek Disability Law Symposium. Join nationally renowned disability rights advocates at the United States’ leading disability
law symposium, held virtually this year March 24–26, 2021, as we examine issues relating to race, diversity, inclusion, and the right to live in the world.
Registration is $100, and student registration is free. Visit the
law symposium webpage
to view the agenda and speaker bios.

Thank You:

Thanks go to our District of Columbia affiliate for a generous recent contribution. Financial support from our affiliates helps us all keep moving forward.

Toastmaster Magazine Added to NFB-NEWSLINE:

We are pleased to announce the addition of Toastmaster magazine to the NFB-NEWSLINE® service. Toastmasters International is a nonprofit educational organization
that teaches public speaking and leadership through a worldwide network of clubs. Since 1924, Toastmasters International has helped people from diverse
backgrounds become more confident speakers, communicators, and leaders. Toastmaster is published monthly and is located under the General Interest category
of Magazines.

Reminders:
Last Chance to Get Your 2021 Braille Calendar from Independence Market:

This is the last week we will be taking orders for 2021 Braille calendars. Effective February 1, the Independence Market will no longer accept orders for
the 2021 Braille calendars. All orders received prior to the close of business on Friday, January 29, will be processed. If interested in ordering a 2021
Braille calendar, please contact our Independence Market at 410-659-9314, extension 2216, or
Independencemarket at nfb.org
as soon as possible.

Dates to Keep in Mind:

(all times eastern)

list of 11 items
January 28:
Smart Cities Summit,
12:00-8:00 p.m.
February 1: Presidential Release LIVE, 8:00 p.m.
February 8:
Washington Seminar
Great Gathering-In
March 1: Presidential Release LIVE, 8:00 p.m.
March 24-26: Jacobus tenBroek Law Symposium
March 31:
Scholarship application
deadline
April 1: Presidential Release LIVE, 8:00 p.m.
April 15:
Bolotin Awards
nominations deadline
May 2: Presidential Release LIVE, 8:00 p.m.
June 1: Presidential Release LIVE, 8:00 p.m.
July 6-11: NFB National Convention, New Orleans, Louisiana
list end

--
Marilyn Green, President
312-343-8396