[IABS-Talk] Fwd: April 11 IABS Minutes

ellen bartelt embartelt at gmail.com
Thu May 13 06:29:18 UTC 2021

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Glenn III <gmoore3rd at gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2021 19:45:11 -0500
Subject: April 11 IABS Minutes
To: Ellen Bartelt <embartelt at gmail.com>

Hi Ellen, pasted below are my minutes from April 11.
Illinois Association of Blind Students
April 11th, 2021 Minutes

7:09pm, Board Present:
Ellen Bartelt (president)
Sara Luna (first vice president)
Natalio Abar (second vice president)
Glenn Moore (treasurer)
Ayoub Zurikat

Board not present:
Sabrina Kimbrough (secretary)
Elizabeth Sprecher
Deborah Stein
Alex Gamino

Others in attendance:
Marilyn Green (state president)

Bartelt asks if any have not read minutes.
Luna moves to table minutes.
Moore seconds
(there is not a quorum)

Moore: treasury is same as last report.

Bartelt: Sara and i are working on committees, email by end of week.
We'd need to vote whether to change the meeting date for May (mothers' day
weekend).
IABS could donate to funds at national, the way affilliates do.
Luna: consers we should focus fundraising first.
Bartelt: Only about $50.
Green: Though IABS is not making money now, the intent is not to sit on a
treasury, donating small amount could be good thing.
Moore: suggests agenda for next meeting, include it.

Bartelt: may meeting would fall mothers day, would like a vote to move to
third weekend.
Moore: since we didn't make a quorum, maybe week before.
Bartelt: something else is the first weekend.
Green: you can poll board to respond by email by thursday.
Abar: not opposed to change date

Bartelt: what should we do to ensure we get quorums?
Moore: a buddy system? each board member can remind one other. prefereably
random or those who don't know eachother as well so it increases chance
that isolated people/groups/friends aren't responsible for reminding
themselves.

State report (Green): I need to email web administrator [?], NFBI will be
offering Covid  releif grant funds (as voted in by the board in dec?).
Releif to blind in il experienceing hardship due to pandemic--may not
return someone to former situation but would provide assistance. If you
know blind in il financially impacted, let me know.
BELL starts first 2 weeks of June, Then July, and August. If you know
students or parents interested, reach to Stein (dkent5817 at att.net). If you
or someone you know is interested to be an adult blind mentor, contact
Stein also. Debbie can give more info of how it works.
Next state board meeting: apr 18 7p same call info, all welcome.
Code of conduct, as all should be aware, was adopted circa 2018. There has
been lot of conversation. Those who listened to presidential release--know
it's been mentioned in almost every one. on newsline channel, or at nfb and
nfbi site. It is NFB policy.
State face to face board meeting again is August, info is coming.
National convention, july 6--10. Registration is open at nfb.org. Closes
may 31; open to anyone. If you know someone to register without email
access, there's a link to fillable pdf, but don't register someone under
your/not their email (to keep tidy recordkeeping). Let me know, i'll find
people to register them[?].
IL convention is weekend of Oct. 22nd. We're still surveying pandemic
restrictions. 4pm Friday, resolutions, student activity in evening, general
sessions Saturday, ends noon Sunday oct 24.

Bartelt: any registered for natl?
Luna: not yet but I've been promo'ing on social
Batelt: I'll send a reminder and expect everyone to register--so much to
learn, virtual, if you don't have energy to meet in person, still lots to
do.
Green: registrants are automatically entered for a chance at a door prize.

Moore moves to adjourn
Abar seconds
those present vote to adjourn at 7:28pm

Submitted, May 11, Glenn Moore.