[IABS-Talk] Chicago Chapter Minutes for May 2021

davant1958 at gmail.com davant1958 at gmail.com
Wed May 19 14:18:47 UTC 2021

Hello all,

Below my signature are the Chicago Chapter May 8 minutes. We will take these
up at our June 12 meeting.

Denise Avant, ESQ

1st Vice President

For more information about NFBI,

Go to www.nfbofillinois.org

Chicago Chapter Meeting

May 8, 2021

Minutes

Chapter President, Denise Avant noted that 17 participants were on the call
and Patti noted that 15 were needed for a quorum. Denise Avant called the
meeting to order at 1pm and introduced herself as the new Chapter president.

I.	First Item of Business: "What's Happening"

1.	Good news or other news to share
2.	State Convention Preference, prefer in person or virtual
3.	How you would like to be contacted: email, phone, or text

*It was noted if you have already answered 2 & 3 answers are not needed.

Michal read off names of participants for answers

Patti began, her latest news was that she was able to spend time with her
mom this week for her birthday, they surprised her and took the day off.

Bob Whitman went next and noted that his 75-year birthday this week, prefers
email, and is ready to attend convention in person.

Ken Borst didn't have any news to report and said that he would not be able
to attend state convention in person.

Dan Tevelde said he preferred the remote option and to be contacted by email
and said that he and Chris are completely vaccinated and are currently
breathing a sigh of relief.

Steve Hastalis went next and requested state convention in person as well as
virtual and doesn't have a preference with communication.

Gina did not have any news to share but noted that she also has already
answered the questions.

Dustin Cather mentioned his preference for in person and shared the news
that the Garden Project he's working on was featured in Block Club Chicago
and ABC7 will come to their block to do a story on Wednesday.

Eileen Truschke noted that she preferred IL talk for correspondence and
remote for convention.

Gregory Rosenberg pointed out that after his second vaccine he discovered
that the light in his eyes had changed and has developed rapid secondary
cataracts either due to COVID in November or the second shot or both. His
best vision has gone down to 20/1200. He did answer email question but he is
hoping to be there in person but it will depend on COVID.

Kira O'Bradovich went next and noted that she's hoping for an in-person
convention depending on COVID strains and shared that she's currently in the
midst of moving while house and dog sitting.

Juliette Walker shared her good news that she was here and is looking
forward to an in person upcoming convention.

Marco wants to attend the convention in person with a Zoom in option and
said that he doesn't have any news which "was good".

Mary Grunwald shared that she opted for the in-person and the news she had
to share was that she is going to work now, and it's really added something
back to her life that she really needed to have added back to her life, in
person work.

Nicole Gleason would prefer a remote option for convention and for
communication she would prefer text message. For news she shared that she's
fully vaccinated and at her job she was promoted several months ago to data
management which means she is able to do more computer work and less phone
work as well as having the weekends off now and therefore can now attend
chapter meetings.

Robert Hansen mentioned that he would prefer remote however he is fully
vaccinated. He said it was really nice to get back to work at school, being
able to eat in the teachers lounge and said he preferred email for contact.

Teresa Fabre prefers email and a remote convention. She is fully vaccinated
and shared that she is headed back to school to begin her master's.

Ken Shad, noted his preference for a remote convention and to be called for
communication. He noted that they are opening up more at Friedman Place and
that they received their vaccinations earlier this year in late
January/Early February.

Terry Gorman shared remote preference fo convention and email for contact.
HE is working on his 232nd book for Book Share, all the German songs,
Schubert and Schumann, the vocal texts.

Bill Schimdt noted that he is ok with email communication and wants to be in
person . He is a student at ICRY Wood and began Level 2 Braille two weeks
ago and is over the moon about it. He also noted that today his favorite
soccer team won their first victory since February

Todd Lively called in and noted he prefers an in-person convention but said
he prefers IL-talk for communication.

Jemal Powell shared he prefers in person for the convention and that
unfortunately his aunt is going through stage 1 bladder cancer and his uncle
recently passed away.

Michal Nowicki noted that any communication method works for him, but he
likes calendar invites for events.

Pam Gilmore shared that she would prefer convention to be remote and to be
contacted via phone. She is fully vaccinated and doing well.

II. Program Item: Code of Conduct

Denise noted that the program item for today is the Code of Conduct. Patti
will be presenting on this topic and answering questions.

Patti shared her screen and began her presentation sharing first an audio
recording of the Code of Conduct read by Debbie Stein focused on
transformative change and accountability within the federation.

A.	Introduction: It was noted that any issues or concerns of sexual
harassment can be sent to survivors at nfb.org <mailto:survivors at nfb.org> .
B.	Diversity: The NFB is committed to building and maintaining a
nationwide organization that is unified in its priorities and programs and
is directed by the membership. Committed to establish new methods of
leadership and leadership development to promote a diverse organization.
C.	Non-Discrimination & Anti-Harassment Policy

A break was taken after the first section of the code of conduct reading to
see if any questions needed to be answered. Denise noted that it was
important that we know the contents of the code of conduct to recognize how
to conduct ourselves at a minimum. She then went through and reminded
everyone how to raise their hand on the telephone to star 9, on a PC alt Y,
on a mac option Y, and on an iPhone, it is under the "more" tab.

Greg pointed out that the NFB sent out a survey on the topic of Sexual
Harassment that he completed today and to look out for it in emails. Patti
also pointed out that members can take the survey on Newsline as NFB is
piloting a new program that allows individuals to take surveys over the
phone.

D.	Social Media & Web Policy: Recognizing the moral responsibility for
comments and pictures placed online.
E.	Conflict of Interest: NFB Officers, National Board Members, State
Affiliate Presidents & their boards, Division leaders & their boards, local
chapters & their boards, and employees and contractors with independent
decision-making authority on behalf of the organization, hereafter
organization leaders are expected to avoid all conflicts of interest.

Denise noted that these were two sections of the code of conduct and that
anyone who has questions should raise their hand.

Ken Chad asked what the problem or situation would be if we had someone who
would formally want to run for political office in a state. Patti noted that
there is no problem with the running, they are saying you cannot create the
appearance that NFB endorses that candidate. A personal endorsement is fine,
but you cannot speak as a representative supporting a candidate. For
example, if the NFBI twitter feed went on and said that the NFB endorsed
Tammy Duckworth because she's disabled, that would not be allowed. The NFB
does not endorse candidates. Patti also said that we've had members run for
office, possibly the lieutenant governor in Colorado but that only as
individuals were members able to support and endorse him, not as members.

Todd Lively asked why the NFB is not willing or unable to endorse a
political candidate, especially a presidential candidate. Secondly, if a
situation arises and person A accuses person B of sexual harassment or
misconduct is there not a process where mediation or arbitration can occur
for instance by phone. Or would it simply be progressive discipline in which
Person B who was accused could be asked to leave the NFB altogether?

Patti responded that 501 C-3, our type of nonprofit, are not allowed to
endorse political candidates. The process for dealing with sexual harassment
code of conduct allegations can include mediation but the first thing that
happens when a complaint or allegation is made, it is reviewed by our
council and by an independent entity and decides if it falls under the
purview of something that will be handled internally or investigated by an
independent investigator. All of sexual harassment complaints or allegations
are currently handled by independent investigators. Depending on the
allegations and the desire of the victim/survivor and perpetrator, mediation
may be an option. It's done on a case-by-case basis.

F.	Policy while Interacting with Minors: Any individual under the age
of 18 constitutes a minor and cannot legally give consent for any purpose.
G.	Alcohol and Drug Policy: Safety & Responsibility
H.	Other General Principles: Accountability & Transparency

Michal asked what the federation's policy was on Marijuana. Federally it is
illegal, as Patti pointed out, but the federation's code of conduct states
if it is locally legal, you are not using the substance to create an
atmosphere that is unprofessional. Denise noted her interpretation is
reasonable due to the fact it is legal at the state level. The policy does
not explicitly ban it like it does illegal drugs. Patti noted that we need
to absolutely certain we aren't facilitating illegal use of legal
substances, i.e. buying liquor for underage individuals.

I.	Violations and Complaint Procedure
J.	Minimum Standard

Mary Grunwald asked when and if we do resume events in person and we have a
convention and something like an IABS idol or a similar event will we now
not have a cash bar associated with the event? Patti explained that we
aren't prohibiting the sale of drinks or drinking, the code is stated that
they need to drink responsibly at  NFB functions otherwise a complaint may
be filed.

Steve Hastalis posed the question as to whether or not we now need to state
an admonition or a warning to participants in federation functions where we
serve alcohol to drink responsibly as some commercials say from those who
manufacturers. Pattie state that there is no requirement to do so, but it
doesn't mean we shouldn't. When you register for convention this year this
is a check box online that indicates that you've read and agree to adhere to
the code of conduct, and we expect everyone who attends are events will do
so. Denise agreed and added that the complaint can be filed by the person
who is wronged, or a witness and it can be done anonymously. The idea is to
ensure we are able to identify the perpetrators of any kind of misconduct.
When the complaint is filed it is reviewed by an external investigator if it
is sexual or discriminatory in nature. Issues such as someone stealing from
the chapter would be an internal matter we would still handle.

Debbie Stein joined the meeting and Denise credited her with doing so and
having been the one to record the audio. The code is on Newsline, on the
National website at
https://nfb.org/about-us/history-and-governance/code-conduct, and on the IL
Affiliate Website.

Ken Shad asked why the factor of genetics was mentioned in the definition of
discrimination. Patti noted that with genetic testing, information can be
determined that may cause discrimination, for instance a test shows you will
one day have dementia, that cannot be used against you. Patti encouraged
that we think of the code of conduct as a part of a process that will create
the most welcoming and supportive environment for all. We need to think
about recognizing difference, especially in meetings, being open and
understanding diversity, such as considering adding pronouns to signature
lines, etc.

Denise noted that we have a diversity and inclusion committee at the
national level and throughout the year there are programs put on by
subcommittees underneath it to highlight differences and foster
understanding in our organization and we have continued with it within our
own chapter. Being able to ask questions and understand is key and that's
why we have it at the national and affiliate levels.

III. Presidential Release: Denise noted it was time to continue on with the
meeting to then play the presidential release. Michal began the release.

IV. NFB State Presidential Release - Marilyn Green, State President, could
not be on this afternoon as she is at work so Denise reported that at one of
the board meetings, an application was created for those who need financial
assistance due to COVID-19 that is now up on the website. The eligible
person must be blind and a resident of the state of Illinois and must have
been financially impacted by COVID-19. If, the individual cannot fill out
the application on their own they can get in touch with Marilyn at (312) 343
8396 and she can find someone to assist them in filling it out and conduct
the interview at the same time. They ask that the application not be changed
to be inaccessible due to reviewers using screen readers. President
Riccobono mentioned National Convention  and deadline to register is May 31.
Denise asked to please be sure you register so that you can vote in our
elections, as long as you have paid your local dues, and win door prizes.
Registration is complimentary but donations are welcome as costs for
convention still exist, registration can be done online. If assistance is
needed please put them in touch with our President, Marilyn Green, (312) 343
8396 and president at nfbillinois.org <mailto:president at nfbillinois.org> .
Please do not use her or other personal emails for the officers for official
business.

Bell Program Ages 5-13: members who would like to serve as Adult Blind
members, please have Dkent5817 at att.net <mailto:Dkent5817 at att.net>   or (773)
203-1394

High School Engineering Quotient Program: July 5th-30th, deadline to apply
is Monday, May 10th. For high school students who are interested in
engineering. You do not need to have experience only an interest to apply
and explore all aspects of engineering and problem-solving. Please let
everyone in that age group know about it.

HR-431 Access Technology Affordability Act: This week, Congresswoman Marie
Newman, Illinois' Third District signed on as a co-sponsor. We have about 10
co-sponsors so far but still need to continue to reach out to Danny Davis,
Mike Quigly, bill foster, Sherri Bustos, Sean Kasten, or Darren LaHood,
please reach out and encourage them to join. We are still trying to add Mary
Miller from Illinois' 15th District who we have not yet been able to meet
with.

V. Chicago Chapter Business

A.	Approval of April Chicago Chapter Minutes - Eileen Truschke,
Outgoing Chicago Chapter Secretary

It was noted that last Sunday, Denise sent out April Meeting on IL Talk and
Dave Meyer posted them on Newsline. Denise asked for a motion to approve the
minutes. Steve Hastalis moved for approval and Mary Grunwald seconded.
Denise asked for any additions, deletions, or corrections regarding the
minutes. There were none, minutes approved.

B.	Brief Summary of Treasury for April - Steve Hastalis, Chicago
Chapter TreasurerSteve Hastalis, Chapter Treasurer reported out that $2,997
is the current balance in our chapter's account. Estimate of $4,000 or above
by end of quarter.

C.	Fundraising Activity, Read-a-thon - David Meyer

Dave was not present so Denise asked for an overview of the Read-a-thon,
Eileen gave a report out that about six participated live but that others
may have done so in other capacities. Denise asked that money donated by
turned in by June 1 by check sent to Steve Hastalis at his new address: 5333
N. Sheridan Rd. Chicago, IL 60640 or through Zelle at
treasurer at nfbillinois.org <mailto:treasurer at nfbillinois.org>  noting that it
is for the read-a-thon. Michal will make sure that it is accounted to the
Chicago Chapter. Patti stressed that they are still taking donations for the
read-a-thon and encouraged anyone on the call to donate.

D.	Chicago Chapter Legislative Committee Update - Kira O'Bradovich,
Chicago Chapter Legislative Chair

Kira noted that members of the Chicago Legislative Committee, Denise Avant,
herself, and Steve Hastalis along with Debbie Stein had met with the MOPD
Commissioner Arfa in April regarding the issues of transit, paying for
transit, and audible pedestrian signals and the future of driverless cars in
the city. She stated that the upcoming legislative meeting will take place
on Monday, May 10th at 7pm. It was noted by Dave that this was at the same
time as another commitment he, Patti, and Michal now had but Patti pointed
out it was best to keep it that way. Kira noted that this had been the date
decided at the prior meeting. In the future the committee will avoid that
time since it will be an ongoing commitment several members must attend.

E.	Old Business

Denise asked the chapter if there was any old business. Dave was back after
tech issues and stated that the Read-a-Thon went well and that it has been
perhaps the best read-a-thon yet, will reach at least four figures. He
thanked all who donated and participated. Denise asked members to have money
in by June 1. Ken then asked who to make the checks out to. Dave stated they
should be made out to NFBI Chicago Chapter, NFBI Being in all caps, Chicago
with a capital C, and Chapter with a capital C. Checks should be mailed to
Steve Hastalis at 5333 N Sheridan Road, Chicago, IL 60640.

F.	New Business

Hearing no further old business, Denise brought up the next chapter meeting,
which will take place on the second Saturday in June via Zoom, beginning
promptly at 1pm and that same morning at 11:30am we will hold our board
meeting to discuss multiple topics including the possibility of in person
meetings as early as August, donations we as a chapter can make to our four
major funds in time for convention, and whether or not to change our bank
account currently held at fifth third which will all carry over for our
members to vote on. Denise will send out zoom information for this meeting.
The months of June, September, December & March are the planned times for
board meetings for the year, to take place prior to chapter meetings in each
of these months.

G.	Adjournment

Denise called for an end to the meeting. Steve so moved, Eileen seconded and
at 3:32pm the meeting officially concluded with wishes of a "Happy Mother's
Day" to all.