[IABS-Talk] President Riccobono's notebook for the week of July 18

president at nfbofillinois.org president at nfbofillinois.org
Wed Jul 20 17:43:58 UTC 2022

News:

Revised Constitution:

The newly updated constitution, approved by the Convention, has been posted
at
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org%2Fabout-us%2Fhistory-and
-governance%2Fconstitution&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AOvVaw0InBt4hd8T9aWKHcUWqymi>
https://nfb.org/about-us/history-and-governance/constitution.

Mark Your Calendar for August Presidential Release:

The next
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org%2Fresources%2Fpublicatio
ns-and-media%2Fpresidential-releases&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AOvVaw070-a89QjTh-TJrWS
JM5Zl> Presidential Release of the National Federation of the Blind is
scheduled for August 2, 2022, at 8:00 p.m., eastern time. Zoom details
coming soon.

#NFB22 Highlights Coming Soon:

The 2022 NFB National Convention highlights, in various formats, will be
available by July 30. Access the Presidential Report, resolutions, banquet
speech, and YouTube archives:

*
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org%2Fcivicrm%2Fmailing%2Fur
l%3Fu%3D26642%26qid%3D&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AOvVaw0VOmd71TcDaFw6EnTw0rbz> Spirit,
Togetherness, and Service: The Signature of the Blind People's Movement

*
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org%2Fcivicrm%2Fmailing%2Fur
l%3Fu%3D26643%26qid%3D&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AOvVaw0LPfVW3drEUQ-pS_v8vUYH> 2022
Presidential Report

*
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org%2Fcivicrm%2Fmailing%2Fur
l%3Fu%3D26644%26qid%3D&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AOvVaw2Wtldtq7TmAn9r0WkRTOGV> 2022
Resolutions

*
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org%2Fcivicrm%2Fmailing%2Fur
l%3Fu%3D26645%26qid%3D&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AOvVaw25Yt1a8-EXKNEUyHWyBVG-> YouTube
Playlist of General Sessions

Thanks again to our members, sponsors, exhibitors, and everyone who made
#NFB22 a success.

Read Our Latest Post on Voice of the Nation’s Blind Blog:

Longtime Federationist, Todd Elzey, wrote about his employment experiences
and excitement for the promotion of self-employment opportunities in the
recent post,
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org%2Fblog%2Fentrepreneurism
-solution-unemployment-and-underemployment-blind&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AOvVaw13xHo
LJmsRvSPeVSIu9scE> “Entrepreneurism: A Solution to Unemployment and
Underemployment of the Blind.”

July Braille Monitor Available:

The latest issue of our flagship publication is now available. Read about
the coverage on the “We’re With U!” concert, discussion on chapter chatter,
stories from members, and more.
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org%2Fimages%2Fnfb%2Fpublica
tions%2Fbm%2Fbm22%2Fbm2207%2Fbm2207tc.htm&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AOvVaw0bHJJXoN2xrp
1195LNluIs> Access the Braille Monitor now.

We Did It!:

Thanks to all of you and a gift from Netflix, we reached our goal of $50,000
in the Give $20 campaign. HumanWare will match that gift. Everyone who
contributed, spread the word, and otherwise made this possible can be
pleased by the results.

Thank You to the #NFB22 Sponsors—More Virtual Opportunities Available:

We greatly appreciate the
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org%2Fget-involved%2Fnationa
l-convention%2Fsponsors&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AOvVaw1_1vf2h7x2YwguP-RFjxju> 2022
National Convention Sponsors who support the work of the Federation.
Continue the #NFB22 learning experience with
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org%2Fget-involved%2Fnationa
l-convention%2F2022-national-convention-virtual-experience%231&sa=D&sntz=1&u
sg=AOvVaw28QzUxSgmJ3qNBKL_i_lo9> more virtual seminars presented by our
sponsors:

*    July 19, 2:00-4:30 p.m., eastern: Digital Accessibility at Target: From
Shopping to Employment.
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Ftarget.zoom.us%2Fj%2F94951605699
%3Fpwd%3DcDVHRlIvTmZrNDZjV1ZhWERvTE5VZz09&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AOvVaw2CRk40RdSc_S
9XGkG_XbyQ> Join the Digital Accessibility at Target Meeting. Meeting ID:
949 5160 5699. Passcode: 341747

*    July 25, 3:00–4:00 p.m., eastern: Job Training Without Limits,
presented by Clusiv.
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fus06web.zoom.us%2Fj%2F8583588930
8%3Fpwd%3DbGVlRzRCKysrRXUwZ1Jld1BoWW02QT09&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AOvVaw0xYMNoO9z45
HkF6_7DGjta> Join the Job Training Without Limits, presented by Clusiv.

Independence Market:

The Independence Market was unfortunately closed all last week. It reopened
today (July 18), and we are working to complete our backlog as soon as
possible. We appreciate your patience.

Self-Employment Opportunities with Synergies Work:

The National Federation of the Blind has partnered with Synergies Work, an
Atlanta nonprofit that supports entrepreneurs with disabilities, to empower
blind and low-vision entrepreneurs across the country to launch new
businesses and grow existing enterprises through
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fsynergieswork.org%2Fi2i%2F&sa=D&
sntz=1&usg=AOvVaw3syqBkuvcKboClJfLKBXQO> Synergies Work's Idea to Incubation
(i2i) Program. No experience required but space is limited.

POSTPONED: Collaborative Advocacy to Pass Legislation at the State Level:

The next Presidential Release Live is scheduled for Tuesday, August 2 at
8:00 p.m. EDT. On June 30, John Paré emailed all state presidents regarding
a meeting to discuss collaborative advocacy to pass legislation at the state
level that was going to take place at that same time. The meeting to discuss
collaborative advocacy is being rescheduled for some time in September. We
plan to announce the rescheduled date for the advocacy meeting later this
week.

STEM Programs:

For more than fifteen years the National Federation of the Blind has been
committed to helping blind youth realize that they can succeed in STEM
(science, technology, engineering, and math) fields. We have held programs
that have allowed us to develop techniques for teaching STEM concepts that
make them accessible for everyone, and graduates of our programs are working
in a variety of STEM-related careers.

Now we want to bring our STEM programs to you! We are looking for affiliates
who are interested in hosting a STEM program for youth in the fall of 2022
or spring 2023. Participating affiliates will be trained in a variety of
STEM lessons at a seminar in Baltimore. This training will include how to
set up materials, explain scientific concepts, and methods of instruction.
Participating affiliates will also receive materials, accessible
instructions, and financial support to put on a day-long STEM workshop for
youth in the fall using a selection of these lessons.

If this is something you are interested in, please email Karen Anderson,
Education Programs Coordinator, at
<https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/h/18cwypf1tlzn3/?&cs=wh&v=b&to=kanderson@n
fb.org> kanderson at nfb.org, or call her at (410) 659-9314 extension 2243. We
are looking forward to bringing our STEM programs to your affiliate!

CENA Event:

Learn some of the basic-but-powerful techniques experts use every day to
build accessibility into their documents. Join the NFB’s Center of
Excellence in Nonvisual Access on July 26, 2022, from 2:00-3:30 p.m.,
eastern, to learn how to make Word, PowerPoint, and PDF files accessible for
all.
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org%2Fform%2Faccessibility-b
outique-reg&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AOvVaw2orgzNpiRyt8xhzWzFmn7c> Register today

SSA Kiosks:

The NFB continues to seek information about the accessibility of the Social
Security Administration’s current visitor-intake-processing methods. If you
have visited an SSA field office since their reopening in April 2022, plan
to visit an office soon, or would be interested in being a tester for the
NFB, please contact Valerie Yingling at 410-659-9314, extension 2440, or
<https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/h/18cwypf1tlzn3/?&cs=wh&v=b&to=legal@nfb.o
rg> legal at nfb.org. We are specifically gathering information on whether the
field offices are using kiosk, web-based, or human check-in processes, and
whether these processes are accessible to blind individuals.

Uber and Lyft Ride Denials:

The NFB continues to gather information regarding ride denials not only due
to service animals, but also related to a traveler’s use of a white cane, as
well as access barriers on the companies’ apps. We know that Uber and Lyft
drivers continue to discriminate and request that you complete
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fnfb.org%2Fprograms-services%2Fle
gal-program%2Frideshare-discrimination-survey&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AOvVaw0eTyDQsP
doOIACM4CpEIPr> NFB’s survey and share your experiences with us for our
continued legal advocacy. We are especially interested in hearing from
individuals who use Uber and who do not have their own account, using either
a third-party service such as GoGo Grandparent; paratransit, concierge, or
medical appointment dispatchers; or who use Uber via a friend, spouse, or
other individual’s account.

Dates to Keep in Mind:

(all times eastern)

*	August 2: Presidential Release
*	August 31: Deadline for affiliates to request Action Fund Braille
calendars
*	January 30, 2023: Great Gathering-In
*	March 23, 2023: Jacobus tenBroek Disability Law Symposium

Marilyn Green, President

312-343-8396

president at nfbofillinois.org <mailto:president at nfbofillinois.org>

www.nfbofillinois.org <http://www.nfbofillinois.org/>

Live the life you want!

The National Federation of the Blind of Illinois is a community of members
and friends who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation’s blind. Every
day we work together to help blind people live the lives they want.s