[il-talk] NFBI bulletin and registration

Patti Gregory-Chang pattichang at att.net
Sun Aug 9 15:16:53 UTC 2009

Attached are our registration and convention bulletins.  If the attachments
do not come through on the listservs, please print them from
www.nfbofillinois.org.  We are asking that you print your own forms if
possible and send an e-mail by 8/10 to George Villa at:
gvilla at wideopenwest.com to let him know that you do not need them via snail
mail.   I have also pasted in the bulletin for your convenience below.

Please help us save mailing and printing costs.

Thank you.

 NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND OF ILLINOIS

2009 CONVENTION BULLETIN

BOLDLY BRAILLE: Literacy - Paving the Path for Tomorrow

On October 9th, 10th, and 11th, enthusiastic Federationists will assemble in
Chicago to renew our dedication in the pursuit of security, equality, and
opportunity for all blind people.

The site for our convention will be the Holiday Inn O'Hare, 5615 N.
Cumberland Avenue, Chicago, Illinois. Telephone: (773) 693-5800. Room rates
are $73 per night plus applicable taxes. Please indicate you are with the
NFBI to get this special rate. Room reservations must be made by September
9th. After that date, reservations will be accepted only on a space
available basis.

This year's convention will kick off with the NFBI Senior Fair on Friday,
October 9th. The time for this event is 11:00 AM to 2:30 PM. Seniors losing
vision will be introduced to a variety of alternative techniques, gadgets,
resources, and services to help them live more independently.   Those
attending the Senior Fair need to register by September 18th. The cost is
$10, which includes a box lunch. Questions about the NFBI Senior Fair should
be directed to Kelly Doty at (847) 390-1738 or kelly at dls.net.

Friday evening will offer an all-you-can-eat pizza buffet from 5:30 to 6:30
for a cost of $17. The Resolutions Committee will meet at 7:00, followed by
a chance to show off your talent during IABS Idol.

The Resolutions Committee will be chaired by George Villa, who is calling
for resolutions by September 18, 2009. He may be contacted at
gvilla at wideopenwest.com or (630) 416-3875. Those wanting to perform during
the IABS Idol should contact Alyson Slaughter at (618) 304-8449 or
ALYAMC at aol.com.

Our general session will convene on Saturday, October 10th at 9 AM.
Reflecting our strong commitment to Braille, much of our convention will be
focused on Braille and the role it plays in the success of blind
individuals. We are honored to have Dr. Abraham Nemeth, the inventor of the
Nemeth Braille Code for mathematical and scientific notation, address our
members. Also, an expanded version of our usual "Braille is Beautiful"
segment will be part of our Saturday agenda.

Our parents of blind children group will meet for approximately two hours,
immediately after lunch. Parents will discuss what things are working for
them, concerns they have, and how the NFB and its resources relate to their
children.

Continuing with our youth movement, during our convention we will hear from
several young people who attended NFB Youth Slam, a science academy for high
school students that took place this summer. Our internship recipient will
speak about her experiences. Saturday's events will culminate with our
annual banquet, featuring an energizing address from our National
Representative and the much-anticipated scholarship awards.

Sunday morning's business session will include the president's report, the
treasurer's report, voting on resolutions, and election of two board
members. Adjournment is scheduled for

12:15 PM on October 11th.

Advance registration for the convention made before September 25th is $5.
Registration after that date or at convention will be $15. The registration
form and fees for pizza buffet, breakfasts, luncheon, and banquet should be
sent before September 25th to Kelly Doty, 1433 Ashland Street #403, Des
Plaines, IL 60016. The registration form is available at
www.nfbofillinois.org.  Checks or money orders should be made payable to NFB
of Illinois.  Please do not send cash.

We will again host a breakfast for students at 7 AM on Saturday, during
which time our student chapter conducts a business meeting. A Spouses and
Significant Others breakfast will be held on Sunday morning at 7:30 AM.  The
cost for each breakfast will be $10.

We will have a luncheon for all those interested in young adult issues on
Saturday at noon.  The cost will be $15. The banquet on Saturday night will
start at 7 PM and tickets will cost $30.

Those with special dietary needs for any of the meals should contact Bob
Gardner at (309) 755-8085 or rgardner4 at gmail.com.  The deadline for such
requests is September 15th.

Kids' Kamp (childcare) will be available on Saturday from 8:45 AM to 5:15 PM
and again from 6:45 PM until 15 minutes after the banquet ends. Kids' Kamp
is free to all children under 12 who are registered for the convention. A
separate release form must be filled out at time of registration.

For those needing financial assistance to attend the convention, contact
President Patti Chang no later than September 1st at (773) 307-6440 or
pattichang at att.net.  The form to fill out for financial assistance from the
James Chappell Memorial Fund is available on our web site at
www.nfbofillinois.org or one will be mailed to you upon request.

Federation conventions change the lives of blind and sighted people alike!
Don't miss out on this opportunity for change! Join us for our best
convention yet!

Patti Gregory-Chang
President, National Federation of the Blind of Illinois
pattichang at att.net
www.nfbofillinois.org