[il-talk] NFBI Board Meeting 8/29

Patti Gregory-Chang pattichang at att.net
Sun Aug 16 15:29:01 UTC 2009

Saturday August 29th, 2009

updated Draft agenda

Holiday Inn O'Hare
5615 N. Cumberland Avenue
Chicago, Illinois 60631
Phone: (773) 693-5800

10:00 in person at the O'Hare Holiday Inn or via conference call to 712 580
7700 using code 6324 Our draft agenda is below. Please let me know what else
needs to be on this agenda.

Our pre-convention NFBI board meeting is coming up on Saturday, August 29.
Per tradition, this meeting is a face-to-face, open board meeting, and is
held at the host hotel for the state convention. This year that is the
Holiday Inn O'Hare in Chicago. The board meeting will go from 10 AM to
approximately 5 PM. Note this is a regular board meeting, and not a meeting
concerned only with the state convention.

We will have a working lunch. For those wanting to order from the hotel, a
lunch will cost $15, and you will make your selection the morning of the
board meeting. The three possibilities are: a chef salad with cheese,
turkey, and ham; a club sandwich with fries; or pasta with marinara sauce
for the vegetarians. Drinks will be lemanade and iced tea.

If you need to reserve a guest room for either the 28th or the 29th, be sure
to tell them you are coming for the NFBI pre-convention board meeting. That
will get you our special room rate of $73.

Secretaries report from 8/9

Treasurer's Report Kelly

unofficial up to date

Items sold at convention - Debbie P.

Updates on how we are doing?

Sorry Try again 2 packets to Kelly already, 9 money to Patti, Feshondra has
one and IABS has the others

I-Pod raffle - can we distribute the 25 other books, did anymore money come
into Kelly

State Legislation Follow up -

Resolution on HR734 and S841 - needs senate sponsor - Do we have one

- Mary Lou and Bill

Legislative follow-ups Syed and Annette

11 in the House from Il on 734 and 1 senator S841

We have 6 on 886

Have we found anyone in Kirk's district or Roscomes district to make visits?

Press Committee

Freedom Link

Convention '

Senior Fair

National Convention

Illinois totals 85 official.

We had at least one person in the wrong state and one which did not
register.

Mentoring - Ronza Cathy and Debbie

Follow up meeting scheduled? Cathy to coordinate

written report with recommendations to be submitted - status?

Key meetings attended highlights - e-mail sent out 6/27/09

7/3 " 9:00 - 10:00 pm­NFB AMBASSADORS COMMITTEE MEETING Greco Room, Level 4
Ronza and Leanne

Sat 7/4 1:00 - 3:00 pm­WHAT'S NEW WITH NFB-NEWSLINE®
Cathy R and Dave .

Saturday 4:00 - 5:30 pm­MAKING THE MOST OF YOUR JERNIGAN INSTITUTE

Carmen and Leanne

Saturday 7/4
6:00 - 10:00 pm­NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF BLIND STUDENTS
Araceli, Casandra and Ronza

Saturday 6:00 - 7:30 pm­NEWSLETTER PUBLICATIONS COMMITTEE
Carmen and Debbie S.

Saturday 8:00 White CaneCommittee
Cathy and Wilbert

Saturday
7:30 - 9:30 pm­MEMBERSHIP COMMITTEE
Bob Widman, Carmen and Leanne will go to this one.

Sunday
1:00 3:00 pm­"GRABBING HEADLINES FOR YOUR
AFFILIATE" SEMINAR­PUBLIC RELATIONS COMMITTEE
Denise Avant and Debbie P for sure
Sunday 3:15 - 4:45 pm­MEET THE BLIND MONTH ACTIVITIES
AND OTHER SPECIAL EVENTS SEMINAR: PLANS AND ACTION EQUAL SUCCESS
Araceli and Fashondra

Sun July 5, 7:00 to 9:00

Youth outreach seminar
Kelly and someone from Iabs.

Monday 7:00 - 9:00 pm­BRAILLE READERS ARE LEADERS: THE INITIATIVE FOR CHANGE
Kelly and Araceli will go.

Monday 7:00 - 9:00 pm­MOVING LEGISLATION ON THE STATE AND NATIONAL LEVEL
SEMINAR
Bill R. Syed and Annette.

Parents

Kid Camp

State Convention

Membership drive and follow ups

Howard or Patti

Chicago,

Howard to follow up on people who took names

Wilbert and Fashondra took names later.

The rest were forwarded to IABS for distribution. WIP to be done by
convention

Kankakee - Did Bill get list

Ferris Wheel - Bill Reif

Renewal Committee

Can we set up organizing meetings for either of these as follow-ups to our
membership drive ?

Rockford - Carmen

At Large - Carmen

Parents Seminar Report - approval

Octoberfest - Joe or Patti

Service Project Idea - Connie Davis

Braille Literacy Campaign Kelly

Braille Readers Are Leaders

Braille Coin Direct Sales

State Convention 2009

speakers-

4:00 seminar on Friday ???

Human Right Comm confirmed

Governor's office Confirmed

Congressman Quigley WIP

student panel - WIP Michelle Maybe Linsey U

Dr. Nemeth Confirmed

Youth Slam kids

Bob Gardner is going to conduct our banquet

NABS rep

Will NFBI cover some of the cost?

Agenda issues

IPOD Raffle who will draw it

invocation at banquet - who

George and Linda are mailing

Press Release, Bulletin and registration for convention as well as kids Kamp
are out

State Convention 2010

Where are we with a contract and costs. Inquiry e-mail sent 7/19.

New Business

Meet the Blind Month Activities

Chapters to report

2010 Planning

Spring Seminar - Student, Parent, or both.

Legislative Priority -

Braille Competency?

What about a custody bill like they have in Maryland

Washington Seminar - numbers etc.

Advocacy training. Cathy to let me know about grant prospects.

Grant Application Form for NFBI - Kelly

Other Old Business

New Business

Next general board meeting

Adjournment

Patti Gregory-Chang
President, National Federation of the Blind of Illinois
pattichang at att.net
www.nfbofillinois.org