[il-talk] National Federation of the Blind and Blind SocialSecurity Benef...

AZNOR99 at aol.com AZNOR99 at aol.com
Wed Aug 26 14:58:30 UTC 2009

Bill and All,

Though I didn't specifically on this case during my tennure with Brown
Goldstein and Levy, I can assure you that we don't file law suits because one
person seems to experience difficulty with a user interface.  One person
lacking the knowledge to navigate a page is never enough, and our National
Center's Access Technology Staff run extensive tests on a webpage before
determining whether it is accessible or inaccessible.  For example, a site
might work with Jaws very well if using FireFox but not at all with Internet
Explorer, or a site might work with Jaws and not WindowEyes.  If one  program
works with it and another does not, that does not mean the site is
inaccessible.

Also, before filing a lawsuit such as this, the NFB tries to hold meetings
with the agency or company to discuss the problem in the hopes that it can
be  resolved quickly through coding.  Sometimes that works, and sometimes it
 doesn't.

Finally, I'm not sure if you're aware, but SSA just added a great deal of
information to their site, including the ability to access benefits
statements,  check the status of an application, schedule appointments, and retreive
earnings  statements.  Many of those services are not accessible.

Just my thoughts,
Ronza

In a message dated 8/26/2009 10:20:32 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,