[il-talk] Fw: Richard Edlund Obituary

Stephen Benson stephen.benson at comcast.net
Fri Jan 9 02:34:25 UTC 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: Gary Wunder
To: Stephen O. Benson
Sent: Thursday, January 08, 2009 7:57 PM
Subject: Fw: Richard Edlund Obituary

----- Original Message -----
From: John & Mary Thompson
To: pilaam at kc.rr.com ; gandcthom at aol.com ; 'Gary Wunder' ; susan.stanzel at kcc.usda.gov
Sent: Thursday, January 08, 2009 8:28 AM
Subject: Richard Edlund Obituary

           View/Sign Guest Book

      Richard J. "Dick" Edlund Sr.

      Richard J. "Dick" Edlund, Sr. made his transition on Jan. 6, 2009 at the age of 84. Dick was born in Kansas City, KS, and lived in the area all his life. Dick and his father owned and operated Edlund's Hardware in Muncie (now Kansas City, KS). He was Commissioner at Large for the old Kaw Council (now Heart of America) of the Boy Scouts of America, owned and operated a small airport west of Kansas City, and owned several airplanes. Blind since his teen years, he sought dignity, mobility, and equal pay for blind people everywhere. He served on the board of directors, as Treasurer, and as a troubleshooter and union organizer for the National Federation of the Blind. He was past-president of the National Federation of the Blind of Kansas. Dick was a Mason and member of Delaware Lodge No. 96, Kansas City, KS. Dick served several terms as a legislator in the Kansas House of Representatives 33rd District. After retirement, he traveled to the UK, France, Belgium, Portugal, and Argentina. Dick was ready to go anywhere, any time on a moment's notice. Dick is survived by his companion Pompilia Mahoney, son Richard John Edlund, Jr. (Barb Lisher), grand children Alisha and Shannon Griswold, and three stepsons, Jack, Jim, and Mike Miller. He was predeceased by his father Earl Edwin Edlund, mother Mary DeKeyser Edlund, first wife Doris Grayce Stempges O'Diorne, and second wife, Eileen Miller Edlund. Celebration of Life service will be 1:00 p.m. FEB 21, 2009 at Unity Church of Overland Park, 10300 Antioch, Overland Park, KS (reception following). No flowers, please. Donate instead in Dick's memory to K.C. Hospice House or the National Federation of the Blind. Send pictures and stories to EdlundRJ at gmail.com. In his own words, "I've had a pretty good run". Or, as Winston Churchill said, "I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the ordeal of meeting me is another matter."