[il-talk] TROUBLE

AZNOR99 at aol.com AZNOR99 at aol.com
Thu Jun 18 11:07:57 UTC 2009

Laura,

We're really glad you wrote.  We've been thinking of you and searching  for
you as well.  I know you're feeling really down right now, and this is  a
difficult time for you.  I think you have an opportunity and a challenge  if
you choose to accept it.  You are literally living in a world where  blind
people are expected to sit in the corner and do nothing, and they're
expected to be grateful they have a seat at all.  That's unacceptible, and  you
know you can participate if they'll only make a few adjustments to the way
they do things at your facility.  You mentioned Braille cards in your email  -
that's one really simple solution.  Send me your mailing address off-list
and I'll send you a couple sets of playing and UNO cards in Braille.
Another idea is for you to introduce an activity that you're already good at and
the rest of the residents can join in on.  That way, you'll demonstrate
that you are competent at something, blindness or no, and the fact that you
already know how to do it will help your confidence level when doing it with
the  group.

I don't quite understand the cane thing.  If many of the residents are  in
wheelchairs, for example, and they have a history of rolling over your cane
and crushing it, then perhaps there needs to be a seminar on
conscientiousness.  They need to respect your needs just like you respect  theirs.
Laura, we're long past the time when blind people are isolated and  segregated
because of their disabilities.  That's just not acceptible, and  your
Federation family will stand behind you to educate and advocate.

Call me (708-829-0523) or write me off list if you want to  talk.  I've
missed you.

Ronza

In a message dated 6/18/2009 12:52:34 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,