[il-talk] Chicago to Tinley Park question from an out of towner

AZNOR99 at aol.com AZNOR99 at aol.com
Fri Mar 27 20:40:58 UTC 2009

Hello,

I am replying on the list in case someone else has additional  information.
You can take the Metra Rock Island Line to either of two  train stations in
Tinley Park.  However, this particular line leaves from  the LaSalle Street
Station rather than Union Station, which is only a few blocks  from Union; Union
Station is where all the inbound trains arriving from St.  Louis go.  The Rock
Island Line has service on the weekends and more  frequent service on week
days.  I took this line for several years when I  was in college, and it is very
safe, though I'd avoid getting off in Robins just  because the station is
closer to industry than neighborhoods and  businesses.  The 180th Station in
Tinley Park is a little less than two  miles from the First Midwest Bank
Amphitheatre, which is where I presume the  concert will take place?  If you decide to
stay in TP, the Holiday Inn and  DoubleTree both used to have shuttles to the
venue, so you might want to check  with them.  Or you could use Orland Taxi or
Tinley Cab, both of which are  listed, to get you from the train station to
the concert.

If you fly into Midway, then there are hotels nearby with free shuttles to
the airport, and some have them to the Amphitheatre.  Check out the Midway
Center, which has six or seven hotels about six blocks from the airport.
They're all in Bedford Park, which is a great neighborhood, and also very close  to
the Orange CTA train Line, which can get you back downtown pretty  easily.

There is no really easy way to get from Tinley Park to Northwest Indiana  via
public transportation.  You'd have to go back to downtown Chicago to  take
the Southshore train line or another line.  But hotels in downtown are  crazy
expensive, and O'Hare is really far from both TP and Indiana.  Thus  I'd suggest
you either take a train in from STL or fly into Midway.

I lived about halfway between Orland Park and Midway airport, so let me  know
if I can help you figure out the area.  Good luck!

Ronza

In a message dated 3/27/2009 3:24:13 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,