[il-talk] Police and Activists Push for Crosswalk Safety

Bill Reif billreif at ameritech.net
Sun Oct 18 06:20:50 UTC 2009

I am forwarding this in case my forward from the Joliet Harold web site
isn't accepted by the list.  Thank you, everyone involved, for remembering
why the White Cane law was enacted and reminding those pedestrians who don't
know or think about it.  I know that Val and others are pushing the
Secretary of State to follow up on earlier promises to modify teaching and
testing materials to remind drivers of their obligations under the White
Cane law.

Bill

Joliet police push for crosswalk safety
Group coincides White Cane Safety Day with traffic units
October 17, 2009
By
BRIAN STANLEY
 Bstanley at scn1.com
JOLIET -- Police believe state laws are "pretty clear," but some drivers
still can't
see when it comes to crosswalk safety.
"Once a pedestrian is in the walkway, they have the right-of-way, but we've
found
many drivers who will go through or pull up far past the white lines (for a
stop),"
Chief Fred Hayes said.
Such laws cover all pedestrians, but are especially important to people who
may not
be able to avoid a car that fails to stop.
Thursday was White Cane Safety Day, created by President Lyndon Johnson in
give equal protection to visually impaired pedestrians.
"I've had close calls and nearly been struck many times walking in town,"
Rick Parrish,
a blind activist said.
Sting at Six Corners
Parrish and his wife, Valerie, were among three pairs who spent part of a
wet Thursday
afternoon crossing the street at Six Corners, while Sgt. Phil Stice and
officers
from the department's traffic unit ticketed and warned drivers who ignored
the pedestrians
or stopped in the crosswalk.
Six Corners, the intersection where Plainfield Road (Route 30), Raynor
Avenue and
Ruby Street meet, is a busy spot that can be a chore to cross under the best
of circumstances.
Rick Parrish and Billie Jo Adams, who was accompanied by Sherry Voight,
carried white
canes, while Gary Jones held on to his guide dog, Cuddles, and walked with
Steve
Voight.
Stice stood at the corner and radioed to nearby officers to pull over
violators.
"We did a similar patrol last week and issued one citation and one written
warning,"
Stice said. "The warning was given because the driver stopped in the
crosswalk, but
backed up."
Citations issued
On Thursday, police issued two more citations. One driver cut in front of
the pedestrians
and another appeared to pull into the crosswalk up to the driver-side door.
"There were a few lessons learned," Parrish said.
"We are very appreciative of the police for doing this. We have to
constantly re-educate
the public to look out for the disabled," Valerie Brew-Parrish said.