[il-talk] A sad story

Connie Davis condav8950 at att.net
Sun Aug 1 22:54:47 UTC 2010

Hi, all,
I'm sure some of will ask yourselves what this has to do with blindness.
Just wait and you will see.
Today, I was standing in line at the customer service counter at Dominick's.
There was an elderly lady in front of me who said, "I can't afford this
banana." She was almost in tears. The customer service lady asked if she had
her Dominick's card. The lady who was already upset said, "No but I have my
social security card". At that point, I stepped forward. I asked the
customer service lady what the banana cost. She said 32¢. I told her I would
pay for it. The elderly lady didn't understand. She said, "This lady wants
this banana". I had to explain three times that I was buying her the banana.
She almost cried and kept saying, "God Bless you". After she got done, she
asked one of the workers to dial a telephone number for her so that she
could get home. By this time, the customer service lady, a couple of guys in
line behind me and I had tears in our eyes.
I'm not telling you this to pat myself on the back. Not at all. But, that
could have been me or you or any one of us. God willing we will all get old.
What has this country come to when our senior citizens cannot afford 32¢ for
a stinking banana? She had to make the choice of getting home versus the
food. 'Nuff said?
Connie