[il-talk] Screening event on Blind Characters in Hollywood: June 15th

Kelly Pierce kellytalk at gmail.com
Mon Jun 7 01:00:17 UTC 2010

Hello all,

I received the following mesage from Mike Erwin about an upcoming
event relating to Hollywood images of peple with disabilities.  One
day will be devoted to how Hollywood depicts blind people.  I'm
working then but I thought others might be interested.

Kelly

Hollywood Images of Disability
A Screening Event
You’ll Laugh, You’ll Cry…But For All the Wrong Reasons!!

Join us for a FREE two day viewing event JUNE 15th and June 16th at
the Victory Gardens Biograph Theater where we will show dozens of film
clips each day
highlighting Hollywood’s treatment of disabled characters. Following
each screening we will hold a conversation examining the implications
that such portrayals
have on people with disabilities.
Arrive at 2pm for refreshments.
Screenings runs from 3pm to 5pm on both days
Blind Characters in Hollywood:                                June 15th
This screening will examine depictions of blindness and gender in
clips from films such as Scent of a Woman, Daredevil, Blind Fury, Wait
Until Dark, Butterflies
Are Free, Barbarella, Blink and See No Evil.
Cure or Kill?:
              June 16th
This series of clips will examine Hollywood’s obsession for either
curing or killing disabled characters at the end of films. We will
examine clips from
films such as Avatar, Gattaca, Of Mice and Men, Million Dollar Baby,
Frances, Whose Life is it Anyway, A Christmas Carol and everyone’s
favorite: Monkey
Shines.
Victory Gardens Biograph Theater
2433 North Lincoln Avenue Chicago, IL 60614

RSVP to Aly Patsavas:
apatsa2 at uic.edu
The discussion will be filmed, but you do not have to appear on camera.
Sign Language Interpreter, Narrative Description and Personal
Assistants will be provided
Parking is available at Children’s Memorial Hospital for a reduced
flat rate of $6 (just bring parking stub to the box office at Victory
Gardens).