[il-talk] Blackhawk Chapter Newsletter For May

Robert Gardner rgardner4 at gmail.com
Sat May 1 18:18:23 UTC 2010

HAWK TALK

The monthly newsletter of the Blackhawk Chapter,

May 1, 2010

Editor:  Nancy Gardner

Contact Info:  Robert Gardner, President

 (309) 755-8085

 rngard1061 at mchsi.com

THIS MONTH'S MEETING

Our next meeting will be held on Saturday, May 8.  It will be a luncheon meeting, held at Bennigan's Restaurant at 2nd Avenue and 17th Street in downtown Rock Island.  For reference, that is in the Holiday Inn.  We will be ordering off the menu, and everyone will be paying for their own meal.  Plan on being at the restaurant by 11:30 AM so we can order our meals by noon.  You are welcome to invite a family member or friend to come with you.  We will have a short business meeting.

For those adventurous souls in our chapter, or those just interested in public transportation, we will again plan on a group-ride on the bus to Rock Island. Those interested in this travel experience should meet at the Moline bus terminal.  That is on 3rd Avenue west of 15th Street. We will catch the #10 West bus at 11:15 AM.

LAST MONTH IN REVIEW

The new digital talking players now being distributed by the National Library Service were demonstrated.  These new players come in two models, and will be replacing the present cassette tape players.  Bob Gardner showed the standard model, a player with approximately the same buttons and functions as the standard cassette player.  Lois Montgomery demonstrated the advance model, a player which includes more options for listening than ever before.  For example, the advanced model would allow you to bookmark a particular point in a book to allow you to return to that exact point at a later time.

FUND RAISING

BIRDIES FOR CHARITY

Chip in for your chance to win!

Once again, the Blackhawk Chapter will participate in this great fund raiser. Our chapter will receive every penny of pledged donations we collect from this fund raiser -- plus a bonus (10%) from the Birdies for Charity Fund.

HOW IT WORKS

Make a one-time flat donation, or pledge one cent or more per birdie.  After the tournament (July 5-11), you'll be mailed an invoice of your pledge amount due.

AND . . .

Guess the number of birdies made by the Tour Pros during the tournament for your chance to win the grand prize, a 2010 Chevy Camaro !  Other contest prizes include a John Deere riding mower, $500.00 Gift Certificate on AirTran, a WaterPark car wash 26 week VIP package, and over 100 other great prizes!

SO . . . BE A BIRD . . . CHIP IN TO WIN!

 "Birdies" forms will be available at the chapter meeting. Those wanting additional forms to give to friends should contact Lois Montgomery at 762-3414. Please talk to your family, friends, and neighbors about "Chipping in for your Charity!"  This is our biggest fundraiser of the year.  Remember to fill out a pledge for yourself, too!

BIRTHDAY CORNER

The following members will be celebrating birthdays:

          May 27 - Jana Hergert

         June 10 - Cindy Hines

              11 - Harold Palash

              12 - Pat Olson

UPCOMING EVENTS

May 27:  Low Vision Fair at the QCCA Expo Center from 9-4.  If you would like to volunteer to help with this, contact Lois Montgomery at 762-3414.

June 12:  Again this year, we will have a potluck chapter meeting at the Gardner's in Hampton.  Once again, we will demonstrate the long white cane and even do some cane travel around the neighborhood. More info to come.

July 3-8:  NFB National Convention in Dallas.  Please consider going to this great NFB event.  It's been said that this convention changes people's lives, and I believe it.  Contact Bob Gardner for more details.

RECIPE CORNER

Please submit your favorite recipes. You can give written recipes to me at the chapter meetings, send them email (address in letterhead), or mail them to me at: P.O. Box 191, Hampton, IL 61256. Thanks! Nancy

This recipe is compliments of Linda Jasper and Don Carey.

Super Fudgy Three Way Topped Brownies

Preparation time: 20 minutes

Baking time: 30 minutes

Yield: 16 brownies

3/4 cup butter

2/3 cup sugar

1 (12 oz.)package(2 cups) real semi-sweet

 choc. chips

2 eggs

1/2 teaspoon vanilla

1 cup all purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1/8 teaspoon salt

Heat oven to 350º.  Place butter and sugar in large microwave-safe bowl.  Microwave on HIGH for 2 minutes or until mixture just starts to boil; stir until well mixed.  Add 1 cup choc. chips; stir until melted.  Add eggs and vanilla; mix well.  Add flour, baking powder and salt; mix well.  Stir in remaining choc chips.

Pour batter into ungreased 8 inch square baking pan.  Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out with moist crumbs.  Top brownies as desired.

VARIATIONS:

PEANUT BUTTER CUP BROWNIES: Prepare brownies as directed.  Coarsely chop 3(1.5oz.) packages unwrapped peanut butter cups.  Sprinkle evenly over hot brownies.  Lightly press into brownies.  Cool completely before cutting.

S'MORE DESSERT BROWNIES:  Prepare brownies as directed.  Cool completely.  Just before serving, cut cooled brownies into 16 servings; place each bar onto individual serving plate.  Dollop each with 1 tablespoon marshmallow crème; sprinkle with crushed graham crackers.

CANDY CARAMEL BROWNIES: Prepare brownies as directed.  Cut 2 (1.7oz.) packages round chewy caramel in milk chocolate into fourths. Sprinkle evenly over hot brownies.  Lightly press into brownies.  Cool completely before cutting.