[il-talk] Meetings at National

Patti Gregory-Chang pattichang at att.net
Sun May 30 14:08:49 UTC 2010

As I have in past years, I went through our agenda for national convention.
Below are key meetings  which our affiliate will want at least one attendee
to participate in.  Please e-mail me offline to let me know which of these
meetings you can attend.  You will be expected to report back to the board
on the meeting at our next regular meeting after convention.    Note that
the meetings for first time attendees are included so that whoever is
mentoring ensures that the mentee is aware of them.  If possible, the mentor
should also attend.

Of course we should all attend the board meeting, general sessions and
banquet.

Important Meetings:

Sat.  8:00 - 9:00 pm-WHITE CANE AND AFFILIATE FINANCE COMMITTEE

Peridot Room, Atrium mezzanine

Alpidio Rolón, Chairperson

Sat.  8:00 - 10:00 pm-ROOKIE ROUNDUP RECEPTION

Stemmons Auditorium, Atrium lobby

First-time convention attendees-don't miss this event!  President Maurer and
former rookies will be on hand to welcome you and answer questions about the
week's activities. Casual dress. Coordinator: Pam Allen, Director of the
Louisiana Center for the Blind and President of the NFB of Louisiana

Illinois should have all first timers present.  Mentors should attend if
possible.

Sun.  1:30 pm-RESOLUTIONS COMMITTEE

Coronado Ballroom, West Wing

Sharon Maneki, Chairperson

Illinois:  Patti will take this one.

Sun.  4:00 - 6:00 pm-FEDERATION REGENERATION

Fleur-de-Lis A Room, Atrium mezzanine

Learn how to develop quality programs for youth in your state while
regenerating your Federation spirit.  Presented by the NFB Jernigan
Institute Education Team

Sun 4:30 - 6:00 pm-THIRTEENTH ANNUAL MOCK TRIAL-National Association of
Blind Lawyers; Scott LaBarre, President

Stemmons Auditorium, Atrium lobby

Admission: $5.00.  Federation lawyers are pitted against each other
reenacting an old Federation case with the audience serving as the jury.
Although the subject matter is very serious, the courtroom portrayers are
very entertaining.

Illinois:  Patti will take this one.

Sun.  5:30 - 8:00 pm-NEWSLETTER PUBLICATIONS COMMITTEE

Inverness Room, Atrium mezzanine

Annual meeting and workshop for affiliate newsletter editors.  Norma Crosby,
Chairperson

Sun.  6:00 - 10:00 pm-NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF BLIND STUDENTS (NABS)

Wedgwood Room, Tower lobby

   6:00 pm-Registration ($5.00); 7:00 pm-Meeting

Students, young professionals, parents, teachers, and anyone interested in
learning about issues affecting blind students are welcome to attend.

Arielle Silverman, President

Illinois:  Both Chris Jeckle and Michelle Wesley should be at this meeting.

Sun. 6:30 - 8:00 pm-NFB AFFILIATE PRESIDENTS AND TREASURERS SEMINAR

Rosetta Room, Atrium mezzanine

All affiliate presidents and treasurers are asked to attend this session.
Topics include internal controls, state charitable registrations,
end-of-year preparations, and discussing individual state issues with
facilitators Charlie Brown, Ron Gardner, Bridgid Burke, and Nick Lambright

Illinois:  Kelly and Patti will attend.

Sun. 7:00 - 8:30 pm-MEET THE BLIND MONTH ACTIVITIES AND OTHER SPECIAL EVENTS
SEMINAR: PLANS AND ACTION EQUAL SUCCESS

Manchester Room, Tower mezzanine

October is "Meet the Blind Month." Come and brainstorm with us as we look
for fresh ideas for Meet the Blind Month!  Learn new fundraising ideas, and
get your chapter ready to change public perceptions of blindness. Karen
Zakhnini, NFB Jernigan Institute

Sun.  7:30 - 9:30 pm-MEMBERSHIP COMMITTEE: FINDING, ATTRACTING, AND KEEPING
NEW MEMBERS IN OUR CHAPTERS AND AFFILIATES

Fleur-de-Lis A Room, Atrium mezzanine
Success only comes before work in the dictionary.  Let's discuss creative
ideas to increase our membership. Ron Gardner, Chairperson

Sun. 7:30 - 9:30 pm-LIBRARY SERVICES COMMITTEE

Milan Room, Tower mezzanine

David Hyde, Chairperson

Mon.  12:00 noon - 2:00 pm-FIRST-TIME NFB CONVENTION ATTENDEES

Affiliate Action Suite 2372

Is this your first National Federation of the Blind convention? If so,
please bring your own lunch and participate in a fun gathering; meet some
friendly people and have your convention questions answered by experienced
Federationists.

Illinois should have all first timers present.  Mentors should attend if
possible.

Mon. 1:00 - 3:00 pm-PUBLIC RELATIONS COMMITTEE MEETING & SEMINAR

Steuben Room, Atrium mezzanine

Don't wait for the media to discover you-come and share ideas and strategies
on how to harness the power of the media! Topics: crafting press releases,
pitching stories, and giving informative interviews. Chris Danielsen,
Chairperson

Mon.  6:00 - 10:00 pm-BACK TO BASICS: FOUNDATIONS IN MEMBERSHIP AND CHAPTER
DEVELOPMENT

Sapphire Room, Tower lobby

Topics: running a purposeful chapter meeting, building membership, community
projects and chapter fundraising, working with youth, and weaving Federation
philosophy into local meetings.  Presented by the NFB Affiliate Action Team

Tues.  7:00 - 9:00 pm-LEGISLATIVE STRATEGIES SEMINAR: MOVING LEGISLATION ON
THE STATE AND NATIONAL LEVEL

Obelisk A Room, Atrium mezzanine

Each affiliate should send one representative. Learn the best methods of
increasing support for our legislative priorities.  Changing lives through
laws is our business. Led by Jesse Hartle, Lauren McLarney, and Ronza Othman

Wed.  7:00 - 8:30 pm-NFB IMAGINATION FUND GRANT-WRITING SEMINAR

Fleur-de-Lis B Room, Atrium mezzanine

Each affiliate should send at least one representative to this seminar.
Learn to plan, write, and submit a strong grant application; discover key
points and strategies about how to identify appropriate funders and submit a
winning proposal.  Mark A. Riccobono, Executive Director, NFB Jernigan
Institute

To sponsor me in the race for independence which raises funds for the
Imagination Fund affiliated with the NFB Jernigan Institute, you can go to
www.raceforindependence.org.  Help us build innovative programs and products
to gain true independence.    For more information on NFB, the Jernigan
Institute and the Imagination Fund, go to www.nfb.org.

P.S.  National Federation of the Blind of Illinois is now on twitter at
www.twitter.com/nfbi.
We also have a facebook page.  Just search for our full name.

Patti Gregory-Chang
President, National Federation of the Blind of Illinois
pattichang at att.net
www.nfbofillinois.org