[il-talk] Important Meetings at convention

Patti Gregory-Chang pattichang at att.net
Sun Jun 12 18:02:17 UTC 2011

Here are our important meetings with the updated names of who agreed to
cover which meetings.

Important Meetings for NFBI

If I have someone to cover a meeting, their name is listed before the event.

Mentors:

    ROOKIE ROUNDUP

          All first-time convention attendees are cordially invited to
attend a reception from 8:00 to 10:00 pm on Sunday in the Panzacola F-1
Ballroom, Level 1.  President Maurer and other Federation leaders will be on
hand to welcome you to the convention and preview the week's activities.
Veteran conventioneers should urge all first-timers to attend this special
event.  Also, first-time rookies are invited to join an informal, fun
gathering on Tuesday from 12:00 noon to 2:00 pm in the Affiliate Action
Suite 14230.

Mentors:

          Registration activities take place in the Sebastian Ballroom
Pre-function area, Level 1 beginning at 9:00 am on Monday; at 8:30 am on
Tuesday; and at other times as listed throughout the week.  The fee for
registration at convention is $20 per person. All those attending the
convention (both local and out-of-town people) are asked to register.
Convention registration is a requirement for door prize eligibility and a
number of other convention activities. We condition rates for hotel rooms on
proof of registration, including the showing of an NFB registration badge if
requested.

Cathy Randall

Sunday July 3

8:00 - 9:00 pm-WHITE CANE AND AFFILIATE FINANCE COMMITTEE

Wekiwa 4, Level 2; Alpidio Rolón, Chairperson

Patti Chang

Monday July 4,

1:30 pm-RESOLUTIONS COMMITTEE

Sebastian J Ballroom, Level 1

Sharon Maneki, Chairperson

Cathy Randall

Casandra Certeza

Monday July 4,

4:00 - 6:00 pm-FEDERATION REGENERATION

Suwannee 18, Level 2

Learn how to develop quality programs in your state while regenerating your
Federation spirit. Sponsored by the NFB Jernigan Institute; Natalie Shaheen,
Coordinator

Ronza, Patti and Ma'ayan Malter

Monday July 4

6:15 - 10:00 pm-NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF BLIND STUDENTS (NABS)

Panzacola G-1 Ballroom, Level 1

   6:15pm-Registration ($5.00); 7:00 pm-Meeting

Students, young professionals, parents, teachers, and anyone interested in
learning about issues affecting blind students are welcome to attend.

Arielle Silverman, President

Bruce Paul

Dave Meyer

Monday July 4

7:30 - 9:00 pm-LIBRARY SERVICES COMMITTEE

Suwannee 20, Level 2

David Hyde, Chairperson

Kelly Doty Mary Lou G.  Gina Falvo

Monday July 4

8:00 - 9:30 pm-MEMBERSHIP COMMITTEE: FINDING, ATTRACTING, AND KEEPING NEW
MEMBERS IN OUR CHAPTERS AND AFFILIATES

Wekiwa 5, Level 2
The NFB is a dynamic and thriving organization-achieved entirely by the
sheer determination and creativity of its members, present and past.  Please
join us to discuss new ideas to increase our membership further, such as "at
large" chapters and how they work. Ron Gardner, Chairperson; J.W. Smith,
Co-Chairperson

All

Tuesday July 5

7:30 to 8:30 Illinois Caucus

Wekiwa 1 level 2

All

Tuesday July 5

Board Mtg

Sebastinan I and J

Mentors

Tuesday July 5

12:00 noon - 2:00 pm-FIRST-TIME NFB CONVENTION ATTENDEES

Affiliate Action Suite 14230

Is this your first National Federation of the Blind convention? If so,
please bring your own lunch and participate in a fun gathering; meet some
friendly people and have your convention questions answered by experienced
Federationists.

Patrick Olson

Jessica Lopez

Debbie Pittman

Tuesday July 5

1:00 - 3:00 pm-PUBLIC RELATIONS COMMITTEE MEETING & SEMINAR

Suwannee 13, Level 2

Don't wait for the media to discover you-come and share ideas and strategies
on how to harness the power of the media!  Members of the committee and the
newly created NFB Press Corps, as well as others interested in getting our
message out, are encouraged to attend. Chris Danielsen, Chairperson

Debbie Stein

Tuesday July 5

6:00 - 8:00 pm-NEWSLETTER PUBLICATIONS COMMITTEE

Suwannee 18, Level 2

Newsletters rule!  But---what about e-mail lists, Web sites, social media,
and the future of communication? Robert Leslie Newman, Chairman

Patrick Olson

Dave Meyer

Tuesday July 5

6:00 - 9:00 pm-BACK TO BASICS: FOUNDATIONS IN MEMBERSHIP AND CHAPTER
DEVELOPMENT

Panzacola H-2 Ballroom, Level 1

Topics: replacing agenda-driven meetings with project-oriented meetings,
mechanics of running a chapter, building membership, fundraising, Federation

Cathy Randall

Debbie Pittman

Tuesday July 5

7:00 - 8:30 pm-NFB GRANT WRITING WORKSHOP

Suwannee 13, Level 2

Learn to plan, write, and submit a strong grant application; discover key
points and strategies about how to identify appropriate funders and submit a
winning proposal. A brief overview of the Imagination Fund grant program
will also be included.  Coordinator: Seth Lamkin, NFB Jernigan Institute

Denise Avant

Jemal Powel

Wednesday July 6

7:00 - 9:00 pm-LEGISLATIVE STRATEGIES SEMINAR: MOVING LEGISLATION ON THE
STATE AND NATIONAL LEVEL

Suwannee 13, Level 2

Each affiliate should send one representative. Learn the best methods of
increasing support for our legislative priorities.  Changing lives through
laws is our business. Led by Jesse Hartle and Lauren McLarney

Patrick Olson

Jessica Lopez

Francisco Chang

7:00 - 9:00 pm-IEP TRAINING FOR NFB VOLUNTEER ADVOCATES

Suwannee 18, Level 2

Attorneys Sharon Krevor-Weisbaum and Carlton Anne Cook Walker instruct this
workshop to provide an overview of the IEP legal framework, discuss how to
deal with typical issues, and offer advice and tips for being an effective
NFB volunteer advocate at IEP meetings for families with blind children.