[il-talk] [Iabs-talk] Using a cane

Charlie Dennis chasbo88 at comcast.net
Mon Jun 13 02:19:39 UTC 2011

Hi, Connie,
In general, people assume sameness in group situations. Anything or anyone
that's different is likely to evoke a rude reaction from them. The shopping
experience is usually handled the way my little brother handled getting into
fights when he was a young drinker: "I want to do my damage and get out as
quick as I can." Sighted people do most things faster than blind people,
because they think they can get by with it, and when it doesn't work it's
easier for them to blame you than to own up to their own carelessness. As
blind people, if we'd purposely disrupt the routine of the first 80 people
we see each day, their rude reactions would soon not bother us any more.
Rudeness bothers us because it doesn't happen often enough for us to get
used to it. If we believe the stuff we get on the internet, the rude guy was
rude because he's a guy and didn't want to be there in the first place.
charlie