[il-talk] How IL Talk Works

Robert Gardner rgardner4 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 16:50:19 UTC 2011

Hi Everyone

Yesterday, we had a long series of messages on IL talk, a series of messages that was basically a conversation between several individuals.  As a result, I think I need to refresh our collective memory on how our list serve works.

First of all, if you and Suzie, for example, start sending back and forth messages on IL Talk as though you're talking to each other, you are also sending those messages to the hundred or so others on IL Talk.  Remember that every message you post goes to everyone else on the list serve.  If you want to carry on a conversation with someone, send them a message to their personal E-mail address.  Don't use IL Talk -- that's not what it's for.

You should be able to get a person's personal E-mail address from messages sent out on IL Talk.  If you don't know how to do that, contact me and I'll show you how.

Remember also that every time you send a message to IL Talk saying something like, "thanks," or "good info," a hundred other people have to open that message, get disgusted at a one-word or two-word message, close it, then delete it.  Remember how a list serve works.  Every time you post a message, everyone on the list has to read it.

As far as the series of messages yesterday:  yes, they were blindness related.  But there's a limit to how much personal back and forth, back and forth, and back and forth the rest of the list can stand.  Please, please, remember how the list serve works and use good judgment in your use of it.

Bob Gardner
IL Talk moderator
rgardner4 at gmail.com