[il-talk] Blackhawk Chapter Newsletter For April

Robert Gardner rgardner4 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 6 16:23:33 UTC 2012

HAWK TALK

The monthly newsletter of the Blackhawk Chapter,

April 3, 2012

Editor:  Nancy Gardner

Contact Info:  Robert Gardner, President

 (309) 755-8085

 rngard1061 at mchsi.com

It's April and spring has sprung!  I hope that you are enjoying the warmer weather that we have been having.  Don't forget to come to our next chapter meeting.  We're all looking forward to seeing you there.

THIS MONTH'S MEETING

Our meeting will be held on Saturday, April 14th., at 1:30PM, at the South Moline Township Center at 637 17th. Avenue in East Moline.

Patrick Olson, our chapter vice president, will be in charge of the meeting and program.

LAST MONTH'S MEETING

The meeting on March 10th was led by our chapter president, Bob Gardner. He opened the program part of the meeting by paraphrasing one of the many slogans of the NFB:  "With proper training, opportunity, and initiative, a blind person is fully capable of leading a full and productive life." He then went on to concentrate on one element of that slogan:  training.  Bob spoke of the variety of training available to those both in Illinois and Iowa. Available training can vary in intensity from sessions in the home on a weekly or biweekly basis to residential training requiring living in a different city and receiving training every day for many months.  Those attending the meeting also discussed their own personal experiences with blindness training and the many benefits of that training.

FUND RAISING

IT'S TIME FOR BIRDIES FOR CHARITY

Chip in for your chance to win!

Once again, the Blackhawk Chapter will participate in this great fund raiser. Our chapter will receive every penny of pledged donations we collect from this fund raiser -- plus a bonus (10%) from the Birdies for Charity Fund.

HOW IT WORKS

Make a one-time flat donation, or pledge one cent or more per birdie.  After the tournament (July 9-15), you'll be mailed an invoice of your pledge amount due.

AND . . .

Guess the number of birdies made by the Tour Pros during the tournament for your chance to win the grand prize, a 2013 Chevy Malibu!  Other contest prizes include a John Deere riding mower, Allegiant Air Travel Voucher courtesy of the Quad Cities International Airport, a John Deere walk-behind mower, and over 100 other great prizes!

SO . . . BE A BIRD . . . CHIP IN TO WIN!

 "Birdies" forms will be available at the chapter meeting. Those wanting additional forms to give to friends should contact Lois Montgomery at 762-3414. Please talk to your family, friends, and neighbors about "Chipping in for your Charity!"  This is our biggest fundraiser of the year.  Remember to fill out a pledge for yourself, too!

                     AND . . .

There will be a prize given to the person who collects the highest number of pledges, and another one to the person who collects pledges with the highest $value.

UPCOMING EVENTS

May 12:  We will have our chapter meeting at Bennigan's Restaurant in downtown Rock Island. Plan to arrive at 11:30.  We will have lunch, everyone will be selecting their meal off the menu and paying for it themselves.  We will also have a short business meeting.  As in the past, those interested in practicing their mobility skills will catch the #10 West bus from Center Station in Moline at 11:15 and ride to Rock Island, then walk to the restaurant.

May 30:  Senior Low Vision Fair at i wireless Center in Moline.  The hours are from 10 am to 3 pm. Box lunches will be available for $12 each.  Included in the box is a sandwich, coleslaw, chips, apple, cookie, and a can of pop.

June 9:  We will have our annual potluck/picnic at the home of the Gardner's in Hampton.  As usual, besides great food and fellowship, we will talk about the long white cane used for mobility, and we will do some walking around the village of Hampton. More info will be in the May newsletter.

June 30- July 5:  NFB National Convention in Dallas, Texas.  If you are interested in attending, contact Bob Gardner for further details.  You should make hotel reservations soon.

BIRTHDAY CORNER

The following members will be celebrating birthdays:

           April 1 - George Sowers

           May   8 - Jan Bjurstrom

                27 - Neta Carroll

RECIPE CORNER

I had this cake at a friend's house and it was delicious!  It seems like a perfect cake for spring.  Bob said that he plans to make this for the picnic in June, so you can try it out then - if you can wait that long!  Nancy

HAWAIIAN CAKE

1 box white cake mix

1 cup sugar

1(8oz.) drained, crushed pineapple

1 (4 oz.) box vanilla instant pudding

1 (8oz.) sour cream

1 (8oz.) container of Cool Whip

Coconut

Make cake according to package directions in a 9 x 13 inch pan.  While cake is cooling, heat sugar and pineapple until sugar is dissolved.  Pour over cake.  Prepare pudding as directed on box.  Add sour cream, mix together.  Refrigerate for 15 minutes.  Pour over cake.  Spread Cool Whip over top.  Sprinkle coconut on top.  Refrigerate!  Simply delicious.  Rich but Good!