[il-talk] Blackhawk Chapter Newsletter For February

Robert Gardner rgardner4 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 4 19:25:20 UTC 2012

HAWK TALK

The monthly newsletter of the Blackhawk Chapter,

February 2, 2012

Editor:  Nancy Gardner

Contact Info:  Robert Gardner, President

 (309) 755-8085

 rngard1061 at mchsi.com

HI !!! Happy February! Did the Groundhog see his shadow? Be sure to plan on coming to our February 11th. meeting - we can celebrate Abe's birthday and Valentine's Day together!

THIS MONTH'S MEETING

Our meeting will be held on Saturday, February 11th. at 1:30PM, at the South Moline Township Center at 637 17th. Avenue in East Moline.

The meeting will be led by Lois Montgomery.  The program will be a description and discussion of the NFB Washington Seminar, held earlier in the week in Washington D.C.  At the Washington Seminar, approximately 500 members of the NFB from all over the country congregate to meet with their congressmen to promote issues important to the blind.  Patrick Olson and Bob Gardner attended, and they will discuss the issues put forward and their personal experiences in Washington.

LAST MONTH'S MEETING IN REVIEW

Our program featured a review of our upcoming Blackhawk Chapter happenings for 2012.

We also discussed the following topic -  Has someone sighted ever come up to you and asked, "So, how did you become blind?"  We also listened to an article on this issue written by a blind person and published in a Columbus, Ohio newspaper. We then discussed our personal perspectives on questions like that, and how we choose to respond to them.

MEMBER REPORT

Patrick Olson and Bob Gardner have recently returned from the NFB Washington D.C. Seminar. (Feb.5-9)

MEMBERSHIP

Now is the time to pay your dues for 2012. To join the Blackhawk Chapter or to renew your membership all you have to do is bring $2 to a chapter meeting, or mail that amount to:  Lois Montgomery, 3527-12th Avenue, Moline, IL  61265.  Where else can you find such a BARGAIN!  Plan to join right away!!!!!

BIRTHDAY CORNER

The following members will be celebrating birthdays:

          February 6 - Patrick Olson

              9 - Don Carey

             13 - Donna Miles

             17 - Kathy Girkin

                  Josh Mitton

             28 - John Abbott

          March 9 - Kathy Abbott

             12 - Kathy Crooks

             25 - Nancy Gardner

             30 - Ruby Blanchard

UPCOMING EVENTS

March 10:  Next chapter meeting at 1:30 PM at the South Moline Township Center at 637 17th. Avenue in East Moline.

RECIPE CORNER

Please submit your favorite recipes.  You can give written recipes to me at the chapter meetings, send them email (address in letterhead), or mail them to me at: P.O. Box 191, Hampton, IL 61256. If you want, you can call them in at 755-8085.  Thanks! Nancy

This month's recipe comes from Kaitlyn Ryan. Kaitlyn gave me 3 recipes, and this time I've chosen Great-Grandma Redpath's Chicken Casserole.  Sounds delicious!

GREAT-GRANDMA REDPATH'S CHICKEN CASSEROLE

   Preheat oven to 350* while assembling the following items :

Add 2 tablespoons of instant onion soup to 1 cup of Minute Rice.  Prepare the rice according to the directions on the box with the addition of 2 tablespoons of butter and ½ teaspoon of salt.

Spread cooked rice in a 9x9 pan.  Sprinkle 1 cup of peas over rice.  Add 2 cups of cubed chicken.

Mix 1 can of cheese soup with 1 soup can of milk.  Pour this over rice, peas, and chicken.

Mix 1 cup of crushed crackers with 3 tablespoons of melted butter.  Spread over the top of casserole.

Bake at 350º  for 35 minutes. Enjoy!