[il-talk] Braille Examiner Spring 2012 inline text

Connie Davis connie.davis at rcn.com
Sun Mar 25 16:23:22 UTC 2012

THE BRAILLE EXAMINER
Spring Issue 2012
Editor: Connie J. Davis
Co-Editor: Debbie Stein
President: Patti Gregory-Chang

CONTACT INFORMATION
President: Patti Gregory-Chang, (773) 307-6440, pattichang at att.net
Editor:  Connie Davis, (773) 338-6922, condav850 at gmail.com
Co- Editor:  Deborah Kent Stein, (773) 203-1394,dkent5817 at att.net
Formatting & Electronic Distribution: Connie Davis, (773) 338-6922,
condav850 at gmail.com
NewslineR Edition:  David Meyer, (708) 209-1767, datemeyer at sbcglobal.net
Limited Print Edition & Braille Edition:  Bill Reif, (217) 801-2996,
billreif at ameritech.net
Proofreaders: Meg Dowell, Steve Hastalis, Glenn Moore & Bill Reif
Website:  Byron Lee & Gregg Rosenberg, webmasters, www.nfbofillinois.org,
webmaster at nfbofillinois.org

ANNOUNCEMENTS

Articles and calendar postings should be submitted to Connie Davis at
condav850 at gmail.com. The Newsletter Committee will meet prior to the
publication of each issue of the newsletter. Meetings will be announced on
our e-mail list serves, posted to the NFBI calendar and on our website. Our
meetings are open and new members are welcome. This newsletter is available
in electronic format on our listservs, via e-mail, and on our website. It is
also available on Newsline. It is published in Braille and limited print
edition for our donors, as well.

ATTENTION NEWSLINE SUBSCRIBERS
from David Meyer, Newsline Coordinator

The National Federation of the Blind of Illinois is presenting an
opportunity that sounds too good to be true; but, it is.

One lucky reader will be $50 richer, thanks to the NFB Newsline Security
Code Contest.

And so you may be asking: How can my Newsline security code mean extra
money?  Well, all you have to do as a Newsline subscriber is remember your
security code in order to become eligible.

Contest Rules:  Each week between January 1 and June 24, 2012, a different
security code will be given on the Illinois Information channel within the
Blindness Information Channel of Newsline.  If you find that the secret code
is yours, you have the week in which your code is presented to call David
Meyer, NFBI Newsline Coordinator, at 708-209-1767. Identify yourself by
stating your name, address, phone number and security code.

Each correct entry will be placed in a drawing which will be conducted
immediately following the NFB National convention.  The winning entry will
receive a cash prize of $50 from the National Federation of the Blind of
Illinois.

Good luck to all Newsline subscribers.
Booksense Raffle
NFBI is raffling a brand new Booksense! A booksense is a book player and a
recorder that fits in the palm of your hand. Tickets are $1 or 6 for $5. For
more information contact our sales committee chair Mary Lou Grunwald at
312-207-1663.
ISVI Alumni Reunion
Date Thursday May 24th to Sunday May 27th, 2012
Place  Route 66 hotel, Springfield Illinois.
Reservations can be made now by phoning 888-707-8366 or 217-529-6626 (in
Illinois) and asking for the I.S.V.I. Alumni block of rooms.  You can also
contact Melissa at the hotel by e-mail at Melissart66 at gmail.com.
Room Rates $66 per night, plus tax.
Banquet will be held at the I S V I dining room, Saturday afternoon the
25th.
We will have busses to take those who wish to attend from Springfield To
Jacksonville and back.
Cost of banquet tickets is $30.
Menu is yet to be determined.
If you have questions, contact Rick Canode rcanode at sbcglobal.net,
608.244.2048 or Joe Lanier, tboss at iglou.com, 608.566.9037

PRESIDENT'S REPORT
Spring 2012
By:  Patti S. Gregory-Chang

We have just returned from a very successful Washington Seminar.  Parents,
teachers, students, and vendors complemented our veterans in attendance. We
talked with Congress about the proposed legislation concerning sub-minimum
wage, access to home appliances, and a bill to assist blind business
entrepreneurs.  In fact, we just thanked Congressman Mike Quigley for
signing on to HR-3068, the Fair Wages for Worker's with Disabilities Act.
Ultimately that law will abolish the sub-minimum wage, which can now be
legally paid to the blind.

We returned immediately to plan our Spring Teachers of Visually Impaired
(TVI) and Parent Seminars.  Those will take place on April 13th and 14th and
are shaping up nicely.  We need workers for Teen Scene and Kids Kamp.
Please contact Debbie Stein at 773-203-1394 if you can assist.

Our transportation committee voiced our concerns at several recent meetings.
Both Pace and CTA now understand that our issues need attention.  To serve
on our transportation committee, contact Jemal Powell at 708 559-7979.

Our Guide Dog committee is working on public outreach.  We are especially
concerned with cab drivers' failure to pick up persons using a Guide Dog.

If you want to attend our National Convention in Dallas but are worried
about expenses, apply for Jernigan Fund assistance. Applications are due by
April 15, 2012.  See the March Issue of the Braille Monitor for more
information.  Please remember that Chappell Fund assistance is also
available. The deadline for that application is May 1. See
www.nfbofillinois.org for applications or call Patti at 773. 307-6440.

Our state convention is getting closer, too.  Mark your calendars.  We will
be at the Holiday Inn O'Hare October 5 through October 7, 2012.

We do change what it means to be blind in a myriad of ways.  Come and join
us in whatever specific area interests you.  Let us know if you need help
with advocacy.  See our web page or contact any member for more information.
This affiliate is on the move.

WASHINGTON SEMINAR
by: Annette Grove

This year's group included five students, two persons retired from
employment, six currently employed and several persons of racial/ethnic
minorities. Participants included:  Patti Chang, Francisco Chang, Bob
Gardner, Joanna Graham, Annette Grove, Steve Hastalis, Rob Hobson, Stacy
Jena, Patrick Olson, Jemal Powell, Bryan Moles, Alyson Slaughter, Rose Sloan
and Debbie Stein.

Most participants had read the issues and willingly presented on all three
topics over the course of the three days.  However, some chose to speak only
on one issue.  In all cases, no more than four persons were assigned to each
appointment; however, some variation was necessary due to the increased
number of persons who were added to our team.  Obviously, each participant
was the "lead" on the appointment in his or her home district.  Other
considerations in forming each team included past familiarity with the
district, work experience in the district, downstate/Chicago mix, logistics,
etc.  Participants were assigned from three to five appointments each of the
two days.

In a number of instances, it was reported that Congressional office staff
were extremely friendly and welcoming.  We discussed the proposed
legislation for The Fair Wages for Workers with Disabilities Act of 2011
(H.R. 3086), accessible home appliances and a bill to assist blind business
entrepreneurs.  It is clear that we have made an impact within the offices
and they have an appreciation for who we are.  It was at first disappointing
to learn that some of the appointments that were scheduled with members of
Congress were shifted to legislative aides since votes were on the floor at
the time.  However, this did afford us with the opportunity to spend more
time with legislative aides and provide more information about the NFB.

Each participant forwarded a thank you message to his or her Congressman
within two weeks of our visit. Passage of The Fair Wages for Workers with
Disabilities Act of 2011 (H.R. 3086) was a priority for follow-up this year.
All Board Members lead the way by visiting their own Congressman to garner
support.  Additionally, all who participated in the Washington Seminar
contacted the District or Washington Offices of their own representative to
emphasize the urgency of our issues.  Our State Legislation Committee
monitored developments on the state level related to guaranteed minimum
wages for the disabled.

WASHINGTON SEMINAR: A First Timer's Perspective
by John Gordon, Chairman; Illinois Committee of Blind Vendors

I have been a part of Business Enterprise Program for the Blind for over 25
years and I am very pleased that all of the Illinois Blind Vendors have now
joined the National Federation of the Blind, along with the National
Association of Blind Merchants. I was most amazed with the amount of
positive energy that I experienced coming out of the NFB Washington Seminar.
It seemed like there were over 500 in attendance. There were many
influential speakers and each and every event that I attended raised my
motivation and confidence that our Illinois group has made the right choice.

I was very encouraged to hear Dr. Maurer speak to our Blind Vendors and
pledge his ongoing support for what we are trying to do across the nation.
Mr. Terry Smith was also introduced in Washington as the new person in
charge of the Blind Entrepreneurs Initiative, which is being funded and
supported by the National Federation of the Blind.

My sole purpose for many years has been to advocate for blind men and women
so that they have continued employment opportunities within the Randolph
Sheppard program. NABM seems to be the perfect outlet for this as they have
brought Illinois right into the mix of major issues that we are all facing
today. We look forward to meeting more of you at the National convention in
Dallas, Texas.

Editor's note:  The following is taken from an exchange on IL-talk, one of
the list serves of National Federation of the Blind of Illinois. It concerns
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) regulations pertaining to the
employment of blind persons.

VISION REQUIREMENT FOR JOB
by Glenn Moore, Bill Reif & paraphrased excerpts  from EEOC Informal
Discussion Letter Concerning Drivers Licenses, courtesy of Debbie Stein

Glenn:
"Maybe some of our lawyers could answer this:  I'm paraphrasing, but is it
legal for a company to state on a job description that an employee must have
adequate vision to perform all requirements of the job efficiently?

If I understand correctly, the ADA only guarantees a disabled worker
be provided with accommodations to perform a job, if those
accommodations are "reasonable" and that with them he or she would perform
comparably to a typical qualified applicant or worker, and protect the
worker from discriminatory hiring/firing if they can
perform the job to standard, but can a company or NFP actually
require a physical attribute to have or keep the job?"

Bill:
"...  An astute recruiter would have described the qualification as it
relates to a job duty.  There are few activities that inherently require
sight; and in most cases, borrowing the sight of others will suffice.  I'm
certain that Patti Chang, through her staff, can adequately assess building
conditions through photo descriptions and reports.  Her ability to see the
photos is less important than the determinations the inspectors and the
attorneys she supervises make. She, in a close case, would certainly
question them regarding details of the photos, which questioning would
improve their investigative abilities in the future.

In allowing a recruiter to state job requirements in terms of the ability to
see, you would open the door to their imposing their prejudices on the
selection process.  This is analogous to employers who, falsely believing
the ability to drive is an essential characteristic of their offered
position, insist that applicants hold a valid driver's license in cities
where reliable public transportation makes that requirement unnecessary.

We don't even know what type of position Glenn is applying for.  If only a
small percentage of the job requires visual acuity beyond what he has, that
situation can be reasonably accommodated."

To further clarify the ADA's position on this particular situation are
paraphrased excerpts from a letter from the EEOC pertaining to this
particular issue.
"The draft guideline states that the [Division] will require an individual
to have a valid driver's license when it "has determined that driving is an
essential or non-essential function of the particular job classification or
position." In cases where driving is a non-essential function, the guideline
indicates that the [Division] will provide reasonable accommodation to a
person who does not have a driver's license because of a disability."
"Under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), an employer may impose
qualification standards that are job-related and consistent with business
necessity. ..."The purpose of this provision is to ensure that individuals
with disabilities are not excluded from job opportunities unless they are
actually unable to do the job." A job requirement that is related to an
individual's ability to perform an essential function of the job would be
consistent with business necessity."

However, "Clearly, lack of public transportation to get to a site would rule
out that accommodation. Even if public transportation was possible, it would
be an undue hardship if it would take so long to get to and from a site that
the engineer was unable to do an inspection in a timely manner or to meet
production standards imposed on all engineers conducting inspections. If an
engineer must take heavy or dangerous equipment to do an inspection, then
use of public transportation or even taxis may not be feasible. However, the
fact that the [Division] might incur certain costs, for example if it
allowed the engineer to use a car service, would not be an undue hardship
unless the [Division] could show that it constituted a "significant"
expense."
"Finally,... Supervisors conducting interviews" for a position "could screen
out a qualified individual with a disability based on the incorrect
assessment that driving is an essential function and/or no reasonable
accommodation is possible. Employers that wish to make a categorical
statement that driving is an essential function and therefore a driver's
license is required for the job should be sure that is true for each
position advertised."

FROM FIRST STEPS TO FIRST GRADE AND BEYOND
by Debbie Kent Stein

As this newsletter goes to press, the NFB of Illinois is planning its fourth
annual seminar for parents of blind children, "From First Steps to First
Grade and Beyond," to be held at the Holiday Inn O'Hare in Chicago. This
year the scope of the seminar has expanded to include a day-long program for
teachers of the visually impaired (TVIs). The teachers' seminar will take
place on Friday, April 13, and the parents' seminar will occur on Saturday,
April 14. Participants are more than welcome to attend both portions of the
program. TVIs can obtain continuing education credits for their
participation in either or both parts of the seminar.

We are thrilled by the variety and stature of the speakers who will present
at this year's conference. Heather Fritz, who will speak on both days, is a
TVI from Wisconsin and, on last count, is the parent of six blind and
visually impaired children.  Ann Cunningham is a nationally recognized
sculptor who teaches art at the Colorado Center for the Blind (CCB), and
Cary Supalo is a blind chemist who will begin teaching at Illinois State
University in August of this year. Ann and Cary will each give hands-on
demonstrations for both groups. As teachers and parents frequently express
their need to know more about assistive technology, time on both days will
be devoted to this critical topic.

In conjunction with the program for parents on Saturday, the NFBI will
sponsor day-long programs for children and teens. Janna Stein is planning a
day of stories, games, crafts, and music for the children ages three to
eleven, and Francisco Chang will coordinate Kids Camp on the day of the
seminar. Dale Sczweck and Bill Reif are in charge of the Teen Scene, which
will include a packed program of art, science, games, and discussion.

For further information about the teachers' seminar, contact Debbie Pittman
at (773) 779-1856 or pittmanenterprises at att.net. For information about the
parents' program, call or email Debbie Stein, (773) 203-1394 or
dkent5817 at att.net.

NFB YOUTH SLAM 2011
By Denise Avant
During the week of July 17-23, 2011, Alyssa Henson, Katie Leinum, Kevin
Cuthbertson, and several other  blind  and low vision Illinois teenagers
attended the National Federation of the Blind bi-annual Youth Slam program.
Careers in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) are
incorrectly deemed beyond the reach of low vision and blind people. However,
the NFB Youth Slam is designed to dispel this misconception, and encourage
blind high school aged students from across the country to consider careers
in these areas. A strong interest in the STEM fields is not required, but
through demonstration, participation and instruction, the student learns
that it is possible to have a career in science, technology, engineering or
mathematics, despite having low vision or being blind. For students having
no interest in the STEM fields whatsoever, there is a journalism track,
where students work on documentaries about the activities of the week. The
goals of the program are to foster science literacy, confidence and
independence.
Students stayed in dormitories at Towson University, which is
located about eight miles outside of Baltimore, Maryland. The students, who
are encouraged to attend on their own, were mentored by blind role models.
"Perhaps you are homesick on the first night," says Alyssa Henson, "but once
the program starts, you are so busy, going from early morning to late in the
evening, and you don't have time to think about it."
Dormitory living gives the student a sense of what college life will be
like, says Katie Leinum, who will be attending college in the fall. "It was
a lot different than I thought. I met new friends, and learned how long it
would take to walk to classes."
Students chose the STEM track that interested them and during the week
engaged in activities with scientists from NASA, the university, and other
sponsors.  Students use Braille, tactile charts and diagrams, as well as a
host of other accessible technology and accessible equipment from talking
multimeters to tactile graduated cylinders. Students were encouraged to
bring their own accessible device, whether it was a note-taker or a laptop.
Henson, Leinum, and Cuthbertson all ended up in the science track for
different reasons. Leinum, who was a return attendee, and wanted to attend a
different track, went to the forensics track, where she learned about bones,
fingerprints and investigation of crime scenes. Cuthbertson, who hopes to
film tornadoes, studied robots because he wanted to see if the technology
could be used in the future. Henson thought the nanoscience track, where
they made things smaller and smaller would be interesting. Her favorite
activity, though was when she attended one of the smaller tracks, where she
had the opportunity to dissect a shark. "It's actually pretty gross," she
said, and I would not want to do it again. But it was great to do because it
shows that you can do it, being blind, and still not cut yourself with those
sharp tools."
Additionally, there were workshops on blindness and career preparation.
Henson says she learned a lot about how much the Federation had done, and
"was still doing." She noted that in the early 1900s blind people did not
use the long white cane, and now it is an accepted norm for traveling. She
continued, "I was impressed to see how much the NFB had done with the
subminimum wage issue". I don't think it's fair we are paid less than
everybody else."
It was not all work, and no play as students had the opportunity to engage
in a myriad of social events, and socialize with one another. Leinum,
described the entire week as just being "a lot of fun." "My favorite event
was when we visited a sports field, and we could do any activity we wanted.
There was an obstacle course, mechanical bull, and other stuff", Leinum
said.
Henson was excited by a trip to the national center in Baltimore. "The
technology center had every piece of technology you could imagine.
Computers, Braille printers, note-takers," she said.
On the final day students who wanted to do so, had an opportunity to ride in
the blind driver car being driven by a blind man. "it was cool and
interesting," Leinum said. "we drove around the block, and did not go off
the road or run into anything," she added.
Henson, Leinum, and Cuthbertson would recommend the program to others, and
would not mind attending again either as participants or as mentors. Leinum
said, "I would tell kids, be open, and let your mind expand." Leinum says
the program just shows "no matter what you want to do, you should not let
anything stop you."

WHY THE NFB?
by David Meyer, edited by Meg Dowell

Upon my graduation from Minnesota Braille and Sight Saving School, the
Minnesota Organization of the Blind gave each of us a year's membership in
their organization, affiliated with the National Federation of the Blind. I
was invited to take part in a meeting of blind students at the headquarters
of the Minnesota Organization of the Blind, where several of my friends and
I heard about the NFB. I immediately became an active part of what was
eventually to become the student division.

We were all told that blind people were not being treated fairly, that
rehabilitation programs were not very good and that blind people experienced
discrimination.  We heard that NFB wanted to put a stop to it.

Although this was all very exciting to me, I did not know what
discrimination really was, even though I read lots of literature, talked the
talk and walked the walk. The realization didn't hit me until I was a
college student about to embark upon my first job training experience.

It was an exciting time for me, as I was going to work in the town where the
residential school for the blind was located and about to move into an
apartment for the first time.

I was to find an apartment with the help of my rehabilitation counselor.
Since the town was small, I anticipated that my search would be short.
Nevertheless, I took a room in a hotel near the bus depot before I traveled
back to Minneapolis. Little did I know that the next three days would be
three of the most painful days of my life.

My counselor and I looked at three places, which were all advertised as
available. The first landlord refused to rent to me because he would not
rent to a blind person. The second landlord claimed the apartment had been
filled. The third stated that renting to a blind person would make his
insurance premiums increase.

Upon my return to the hotel, I was told there were no rooms, but that
another hotel would have a vacant room. When I arrived at the second hotel,
I was informed that a room was available on the first floor. It was quite
small, with the bathroom around the corner and near the front desk. When I
inquired about a room with a private bathroom, I was told I could not have a
room on the second floor because I was handicapped and might get hurt
climbing the steps, even though I had climbed the stairs to enter the hotel.

While eating dinner at the hotel, I encountered a former classmate, who
offered to let me share a room with him for the summer upon hearing my
dilemma. I don't know why, but I declined.

The next day my counselor and I looked at several more apartments. The last
one available was unfurnished and I had no furniture. I declined that one,
as well. I then had another dilemma on my hands because I had to leave in
three hours and still had no place to live. I had two choices:  I could
either call my classmate and ask to take him up on his offer or call the
local sheriff and ask if I could stay at the jail! Fortunately, I did not
have to call the sheriff; my classmate graciously agreed to let me be his
roommate. I was even fortunate enough to have an apartment of my own for the
last six weeks of my job.

I am grateful that we now live in a time when landlords can't and do not
discriminate against blind people. Nevertheless, we still have many battles
to fight, such as the right to take certification examinations using
reasonable accommodations, and the right to equal opportunity for
competitive employment that is commensurate with our education and training.

I am grateful every day for the National Federation of the Blind and all
that it has done to ensure that I might live the kind of life that is
enjoyed by my sighted peers.

MEET A FEDERATIONIST: NFBI TREASURER GLENN MOORE
by Meg Dowell

Born with low vision, Glenn Moore III-like other individuals who face
similar daily physical challenges-has learned to adapt to his
visually-oriented surroundings. Hand-held lighted magnifiers, close-focusing
reading glasses, and scanning documents onto computer screens are just a few
of his daily adaptations.

"Those who are labeled as low vision are not taught as those called
'blind,'" Moore says. "Like many low-vision people, I am in a world between
blindness and normal sight."

His first job delivering newspapers was not an easy feat. Locating house
numbers without a monocular, for example, required walking up to the house
in question to obtain the address.

"I used the same techniques as anyone sighted," notes Moore, "but had to
struggle a little bit more and work harder."

Unfortunately, his career delivering the Elgin Courier newspaper ended when
he broke a window. He now thankfully works for the Salvation Army, where the
danger of shattering glass is slightly less imminent.

Glenn Moore III, recently elected as NFBI's treasurer, had an interest in
being involved in the organization from the moment he was first introduced
to it.

"I wanted a position of responsibility and to help the affiliate," says
Moore, "but I wouldn't have considered running except that I was asked by
Patti."

Moore has been a part of NFBI since 2009. After being persuaded to attend a
chapter meeting with a friend, he found he could not stay away.

"I wanted to be involved in something to benefit others and in a way that my
experience with visual challenges could be of special value," he says.

Aside from his job as an intake worker, Moore is a part of various NFBI
committees, including IABS, NABS, and the Braille Examiner. He also
volunteers for Salvation Army Emergency Disaster Services, where he has
received special training in order to aid in various emergencies and crises.

In his spare time, Moore enjoys reading, biking, cooking original dishes,
and dancing.

THE BEST REPRIMAND
by Steve Hastalis

In the summer of 1966, we still lived in Beverly, on the far southwest side
of Chicago.  I usually rode two buses each way to my flute lesson in Hyde
Park, a lakefront community on the southeast side.  On one afternoon,
however, I decided to ride the elevated train, which we call the L in
Chicago.  I expected to ride one train but ultimately rode three, because of
the skip-stop service in effect at that time. (Editor's note:  The trains
stopped at every other station. They were called A & B stops.) I also rode
one bus to the L and three more buses home after I got off the train.  I
could not have made a less practical choice of transit service for this
trip.

When I arrived at home, I very ashamedly told my mother that I rode the L.
I say "ashamedly" because we did not sneak things in our family.  I heard
the disappointment in her voice, as she replied, "I would have wanted to do
it with you one more time, but you've done it."

Some few months later, we moved to Western Springs, a southwest suburb of
Chicago.  About two years later, in the fall of 1968, my parents and I drove
downtown on a Saturday morning.  Sometime around 11 o'clock, I reminded
them, "I have a flute lesson in Oak Park."

With considerable exasperation in her voice, my mother replied, "We have
things to do.  Can't you take the train?"

I answered, "Yes, drop me off at a station along Wabash Avenue, and I'll
take the Lake Street L."

I excitedly thought to myself, "That's the best news I've heard in a long
time!"

Recalling my previous rides on that line, I rode the newest L cars in
service at the time and looked forward to riding them again.  I had not
ridden the L very much if at all, since that ride I took on the sneak two
years earlier.

I enjoyed my train ride, arrived at my flute lesson safely and on time, then
later rode home on my usual two West Towns bus routes, now part of Pace
West.

My mother accepted, as a matter of course, that I would ride the train.
Ironically, she apparently based her expectation in part on my ride which I
took on the sneak.  Parents and teachers should encourage blind children and
students to develop the skills and confidence to travel independently and
enjoyably.

TECH TALK
MY Favorite accessible IPHONE Apps
By:  Patti S. Gregory-Chang

As many of you know I am an Apple convert. Like many blind folks I
appreciate the accessibility of the phone and the apps that come with it.
Not all apps in the app-store however, are accessible. This article attempts
to survey my personal favorites.

My reference folder has a simple app called "Dictionary". You type in the
word and hit search. The app pulls up the dictionary definition. I also have
a free app called "Fastcase" which non-lawyers will also find useful. You
can use keywords or citations to search legislation and case law.
Interestingly, "Fastcase" is not free if used on the web, but is on the
iPhone.

In my social folder I have "Facebook" which is mostly good. It lacks some of
the on the web features like full group management and some buttons are not
labeled but it can be managed for the things most often used by Facebook
users. Byron Lee recommended a very nice program called "Tweetlist" that I
like a lot. It is labeled properly and does everything you can do on
Twitter.

Both my personal bank and our NFBI bank have good apps.  Bank of America's
app is called "BofA". Fifth Third Bank's app is "Fifth Third Mobile
Banking". I find both easier than managing accounts on the web via PC.

Many doctors are now part of a bigger network and allow you to access your
medical information online. "My Chart" allows you to view and make
appointments, view alerts, check medications and see test results.

My navigation folder contains a couple of really good CTA apps.  I use "Bus
Tracker" which tells you when your bus will arrive at your stop. An icon for
"CTA Mobile" allows me to get directions specific to transit in Chicago very
quickly.

Now let's talk about fun. My books folder has "Audible.com" which lets me
play downloaded books. I also have "BLIO."  I use "Read to Go" which plays
Bookshare books all the time. That app is fully accessible. It does lock up
on occasion but is well worth the trouble.    My phone even has games. My
favorite is "Accessible Minesweeper".  That works like a concentration game.
The object is to locate the mines before they blow you up.

So, go and gain efficiency and fun with your iPhone. I know I have.

**Note:  We are testing a new feature for the newsletter, which we hope many
of you will like. Each issue we will publish something of interest
concerning technology. If you have a tech question, please submit it to
Connie Davis and she will have one of our tech gurus answer it.

NFBI CALENDAR
April--July
April
April 7
9:30 AM--Ferris Wheel Chapter Meeting, Mary Bryant Home, 2960 Stanton
Street, Springfield
10:00 AM--Heartland Kankakee Chapter Meeting, Bourbonnais Public Library,
250 W. John Casey Rd, Bourbonnais
1:00 PM--Chicago Chapter Meeting, Exchequer Pub, 226 S. Wabash, Chicago
April 13-14
All day--Parent and Teacher of Visually Impaired Seminar, Holiday Inn Ohare,
5615 N. Cumberland Ave., Chicago
April 15
Kenneth Jernigan Scholarship Applications for National Convention due
April 26-29
National Scholarship Committee Meeting, Baltimore (Patti to attend)

May
May 1
Chappell Assistance Applications for National Convention due
May 5
10:00 AM--Heartland Kankakee Chapter Meeting, Bourbonnais Public Library,
250 W. John Casey Rd, Bourbonnais
10:30 AM--Ferris Wheel Chapter Meeting, Lincoln Library, 326 South 7th
Street, Springfield
May 12
1:00 PM--Chicago Chapter Meeting, Exchequer Pub, 226 S. Wabash, Chicago,

June
June 2
9:00 AM-5:00 PM--Heartland Kankakee Chapter M & M's Fundraiser, Bourbonnais
Wal-Mart, 2080 N Il-50, Bourbonnais
10:30 AM--Ferris Wheel Chapter Meeting, Lincoln Library, 326 South 7th
Street Springfield
June 9
11:30 AM-12:30 PM--Chicago Chapter Board Meeting, Exchequer Pub, 226 S.
Wabash, Chicago
1:00 PM-Chicago Chapter Meeting, same location

June 30-July 4
National Convention, Dallas Texas, Hilton Anatole Hotel

Connie