[il-talk] First aid and CPR

Leslie Hamric lhamric930 at comcast.net
Fri Nov 30 05:48:13 UTC 2012

Hi Andrew.  Yeah, I recently took a CPR certification class and worked with
the AED.  It is accessible once the pads are lined up because the machine
talks you through everything. I have a few thoughts about the ability to
make lining up the pads accessible to the blind.  First, someone sighted
would most likely get you the AED so you could simply ask that person to
line the pads up as shown in the picture.  Once that's done, you can do the
rest.  Second, in my opinion, the main goal is to respond as quickly as
possible to save someone's life and if that means using a bit of sighted
assistance to line the pads up and tell you the layout of the machine, ,
then so be it.  Since all AED's are different, it might not be practical to
make them accessible.  I do believe it would be worth looking into, however,
as someone may come with a way I've never even thought of. In the meantime,
I'm just trying to look at the situation realistically here.  Just my two
cents worth.
Leslie