[il-talk] Train Deserts

Bruce C. Paul brucecpaul at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 23 17:44:47 UTC 2012

Hi il-talk,

I'm just working through some ideas:

Just read something that strikes a chord with my experiences as a blind individual:
There's a book on poverty, which includes a discussion of "train deserts,"

http://www.cnt.org/news/2012/08/30/new-book-on-poverty-explores-train-deserts/

 As far as I can tell, the most active blind people are those who don't live in train deserts, though I don't know if this a cause or effect.  I do think where one lives affects how many opportunities one has.  I also think many people become shut ins because they don't or can't make access to public transportation a priority.

Has anyone found themselves living in a train desert?  Was it in the Chicago Metro Area?  Did things change so you could travel more easily?  What made the change possible?

Thanks,
bcp