[il-talk] The BRAL Is Coming! The BRAL Is Coming!

Robert Gardner rgardner4 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 23 19:17:06 UTC 2012

The NFB Braille Readers Are Leaders (BRAL) annual contest is fast approaching.  The contest will start on Nov 1 and run till Jan 4, 2013.  The purpose is to encourage Braille literacy, and for me personally, it becomes a challenge to read more Braille than usual.  And as a result of that, I feel entering the contest improves my Braille skills .

BRAL has one category for adults, forming themselves into a team, 5 people max per team.  The goal is to be named "Team of the Year."  In past years, one team from Illinois did win this national honor.

I would like to see if there is interest in forming an adult team for the upcoming contest -- but with a special wrinkle.  What I would like to see is a team that becomes a group on Facebook, besides being a BRAL team.

The goal, besides winning the NFB contest, would be to not only improve our Braille skills, but to also improve our Facebook skills.  I would envision frequent, if not daily, communication between team members using the Facebook group.  On some  occasions, the team should get together also by teleconference.

I am not an expert on Facebook, so don't think you have to be one either to join this team.  See this as an opportunity to either learn about Facebook, or to become more proficient at it.  And at the same time, be reading Braille and forwarding the cause of Braille literacy!

If you are interested, please contact me.

Bob Gardner

rgardner4 at gmail.com

309-236-6606