[il-talk] JPEG files

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Mon Aug 5 15:58:11 UTC 2013

Andrew,

I'm not from Illinois but am still on this list as I sometimes back up Dave Andrews on technical issues.

Whenever text is presented as a picture, something that can even happen in PDF documents or in Microsoft Word, screen readers
can't read them directly as has been said.  In general, though, any text that is part of a picture or an image can be read by
performing Optical Character Recognition.  If you own Kurzweil 1000, for example, it will allow you to do this, although exactly
how you do it depends a little on the type of file.  If you do not own Kurzweil 1000 or Freedom Scientific's Open Book, and if
these programs cost more than you can afford, an off-the-shelf program like FineReader or OmniPage will also work but are a little
more challenging to learn but much cheaper.

Depending upon where the document came from, you might be able to write to the author and get it in another form before it was
converted into a JPG file.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson