[il-talk] Cortisone shots

Bill Reif billreif at ameritech.net
Tue Dec 3 17:35:15 UTC 2013

Hi Linda,

My understanding about Cortisone is that it works by blocking the body's
inflammation response. Inflammation is the body's response to injury;
but sometimes the inflammation itself causes problems. Pressure can
cause pain, as it often does in a joint. I've had pain relief from
Cortisone shots in my shoulder. Inflammation around a nerve can also
cause or contribute to numbness, which should also be relieved by the
shot. Cortisone is not a pain suppressant; but there is a pain
suppressant in the shot that will give you very short-term relief from
the pain the shot itself may cause.

I hope all goes well, and that you get at least the few month's relief
these shots normally provide.

Cordially,
Bill