[il-talk] chicago minutes november 2013

pattischang at gmail.com pattischang at gmail.com
Thu Dec 12 04:03:11 UTC 2013

I did not attend this meeting but these minutes look thorough and accurate to me.

Patti S. Gregory-Chang
NFBI President
NFB Scholarship Comm. Chair
Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 11, 2013, at 6:54 PM, "David Meyer" <datemeyer at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

NFBI Chicago Chapter

November 9, 2013

Exchequer Pub and Restaurant

226 S. Wabash, Chicago

CALL TO ORDER

Chicago Chapter President David Meyer called the meeting to order at 1 PM.

Twenty-three people were in attendance. Several people were present who have
been in absentia for a long time, including Greg Rosenberg, Bart Hickey,
Nikki Marler, and Dwayne Widdingham.  Bob and Charlene Kraft were here from
New York. In health concerns, Teresa Meyer lost her aunt and also has been
laid off from her job. Greg Rosenberg is still recovering from his accident,
but is feeling much better. Leanne Mayne is about to be discharged from
rehab.

PAM's MEDICAL CORNER

Pam Gillmore suggested several books that are available from NLS: Treat Me,
Not My Age (DB72226); Stress-Free Diabetes, DB72603; and Life Is Your Best
Medicine, DB75696. Steve Hastalis shared some of the things he has learned
from his doctor recently about controlling cholesterol with diet. Byron Lee
recommended an app called Zombies' Run, which adds sound effects that
encourage you to keep going when you exercise.

PROGRAM

Affiliate Action Coordinator Joanne Wilson spoke by telephone about the NFB
Vehicle Donation Program. We need members to spread the word about the
program. We must post notices at stores, restaurants, and other places we
visit. Donations really go up when people start posting our stickers. We get
about $500 per vehicle. There has been one donation from Illinois so far.

Bart Hickey offered to do a mailing to his customers.

PRESIDENTIAL RELEASE

NFB President Marc Maurer reported the death of Dr. Abe Nemeth on October 2,
2013, at age ninety-four. It's time to make plans for Washington Seminar,
which begins with the Great Gathering In on January 27. Room reservations
must be made by December 17. Lisa Bonderson from Colorado is making the room
reservations; contact her at 303-778-1130, Extension 219. Our first annual
auction, the Bid for Equality, will begin on November 29. Pre-register at
www.biddingforgood.com/bid-for-equality. The auction ends on December 2.

There are vacation packages, gift baskets, and much more. National
Convention will take place July 1-6 at the Rosen Centre Hotel in Orlando,
Florida. Joe Ruffaalo's next Thru Our Eyes broadcast will feature Patti
Chang, discussing the NFB Scholarship Program. You can listen by phone if
you call in at 347-215-7037 or go to www.thruoureyes.org at 8 PM on November
20. The Department of Transportation has issued regulations about access to
information about the airlines by kiosk and online. They give the airlines
three years to make their websites accessible and ten years to install
accessible kiosks! Fred Schroeder went to the White House to meet with US
Vice President Joe Biden to discuss the Convention on the Rights of People
with Disabilities. We hope there will soon be hearings on the treaty, which
will again come before the Senate. The Court of Appeals in New York heard
our case for equal access to the millions upon millions of books that Google
has digitized. Dan Goldstein represented the NFB in the hearing. A new
program called Internet Echo provides access to the internet without a
computer. Call 877-231-9286 or visit www.internetspeech.com to learn more.

Following the Presidential Release, there was discussion about when the
millions of Google Books may become available. It was pointed out that
Bookshare has an ever-growing collection of titles, including many graduate
level books in the sciences. The Kindle Books are all available now with
VoiceOver on the iPhone. Calibre allows users to convert books into
user-friendly formats.

SECRETARY's MINUTES

Secretary Debbie Stein read the minutes for the meeting of September 14. The
minutes were corrected and approved. President Meyer urged everyone to read
the minutes when they appear on Il-Talk and Newsline, and to point out any
errors before or during the meeting.

TREASURER's REPORT

Treasurer Steve Hastalis presented the third quarter report for 2013,
covering July, August, and September. The quarter opened on July 1 with a
balance of $2,604.74. Income totaled $2,076.26 and expenses came to $600.

The ending balance on September 30 was $4,081. Since the quarter closed we
have had some additional expenditures, including $1,000 to the affiliate for
Fifteen for Funds, for a current balance of $2,831. The treasurer's report
was approved.

STATE REPORT

In the absence of NFBI President Patti Chang, First Vice President Denise
Avant delivered the State Report. We had a very successful state convention
in Bloomington. For 2014 we are exploring locations in Rockford and
Champaign. If you have ideas for hotels, contact Chris Jeckel for Champaign
or Denise for Rockford. Patti Chang must receive applications for Washington
Seminar by December 1. Those who are accepted must inform Bob Gardner of
their travel plans by December 23. At the end of December there will be a
mandatory two-hour training seminar. The agenda will probably include the
subminimum wage bill, the Space Available Bill, and the TEACH Bill. State
and national scholarship applications for 2014 are due no later than March
31.

FUNDRAISING

The Chicago Chapter Read-a-Thon in October raised $732. Ken Staley alone
raised $402! The December meeting will begin at noon because of the annual
holiday auction. Bring items and buy items!

NEW BUSINESS

The Chicago Chapter board meeting will be held via conference call on
November 17 at 7 PM. Jemal Powell announced that Metra now has a travel
guide available in Braille. Call 312-322-6766 for customer service or email
jferfeborg at metrarr.com.

ADJOURNMENT

The meeting was adjourned at 3:02 PM.

Respectfully submitted,

Debbie Stein, Secretary

David Meyer, NFB of Illinois

Coordinator and channel administrator, NFB-NewsLine

Chicago Chapter President