[il-talk] Tips In Dealing With Family Members

Andrew Webb awebb2168 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 29 17:19:13 UTC 2013

Well said, and it's a reality that most of us can't really avoid.  Speaking
for myself, I find that it usually helps to maintain a sense of humor.  A
well-placed joke here and there can serve both to disarm those around you
and to help you to project an air of confidence in yourself.  On the other
hand, responding to patronizing and overprotective family members (or just
people in general) with expressions of irritation and resentment tends to
have just the opposite effect; this tends to make us appear angry, insecure,
and even emotionally unstable.  I don't offer that observation as a sermon,
because I have certainly fallen prey to the tendency at times myself.  It's
just a reality that I have come to recognize in the course of a few years
now living as a blind person.

Andrew