[il-talk] how to obtain funding for national convention?

Glenn glennmooreiii at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 22 20:02:31 UTC 2013

Hello China, I'm glad you want to go to national this year! There are a few sources for help financing your trip. National offers a Jernighan Scholarship (generally for first timers). I know you have gone before, but for others reading who haven't that would be good to know. For Jernighan, you will need your state president or perhaps a state officer, to write you a recommendation--the instructions are all in the application on the national website, you can Google Jernighan scholarship and you should find it.
Our state offers some assistance via our Chapell scholarship and you would do well yo check with your chapter also. Generally you are most likely yo get the help you are looking for if you:
Show that you are carrying some part of the cost
Have looked at local or other avenues for help (like applying for chapter help before state, ad state before Jernighan)
But most of all, it helps to be active in the federation, show you are serious about growing in the organized blind movement into the future and what you plan to be involved in the federation going forward and to articulate how convention specifically is valuable for you and will help you be more effective in advancing the rights of the blind.
A long answer, but I hope t helps.