[il-talk] pcell phones that talk and that have buttons

Leslie Hamric lhamric930 at comcast.net
Tue Jun 25 23:28:02 UTC 2013

The first time I used an iphone, I wanted to throw the thing against the wall I was so frustrated with it!  But after taking the time to learn it and the different gestures, I totally love the iphone.  I got my hands on my husband's iphone about three times and played around with it before making the plunge to get one.  I was so glad I did that because had I just played around with one for a day, I probably would have never gotten one.  I also talked with other blind people about it to find out what their experiences were.  Once I got my iphone, I skyped with another blind person and she walked me through the different gestures and how she uses the iphone.  I know it's a learning curve but with practice, you'll get the hang of it.  Another blind friend of mine actually had lessons at the Apple store and from what she told me, they did a pretty good job of teaching her.  Here are a couple things that helped me. First, I got a tactile screen protector with braille dots. A.T. Guys has two types of screen protectors, the standard and the advanced.  The standard has dots on the virtual keyboard, a dot where the number 5 would be on the telephone keypad, a dot on the done button, etc.  There are no dots where the j and f keys would be.  The advanced screen protector has only dots where the j and f keys would be but that's it. The link for the tactile screen protectors is:
http://www.atguys.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=15&zenid=1072fdea6a39c6d6960216dea49b1b50
Another option is getting a Bluetooth keyboard.  I got one from the Apple Store for $69.  It operates on 2 aa batteries and is a full-sized keyboard.  It's as long as a regular qwerty keyboard without the number pad.  Once I learned the commands for voiceover, I found this method to be pretty easy as well.  I find this method most useful if I want to type a lot for a long time, especially when I'm texting back and forth with someone.  The link for the Apple Bluetooth Keyboard is
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC184LL/B/apple-wireless-keyboard-english?fnode=0001030825
Hope this helps.  Please write me off list if you need more assistance with this.
Leslie