[il-talk] Small Challenge

Rose Sloan rosesloan920 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 19 13:08:36 UTC 2014

Dear Illinois Affiliate,

A week or so ago, I challenged each and every one of you to contact your
Representative and Senators to encourage them to become co-sponsors of HR
831, HR 3505, S 146 and S 556.  This is a very simple task that will take a
matter of minutes.  I have only heard from two lovely Illinoisans.  Please
NFBI, take a few minutes today and write yourr members of Congress.  We
need to get this bills passed!

If you already have, but didn't cc me (Rsloan at nfb.org) please simply
forward me the message you wrote.  It's not too late, write your Senator
today!

As a reminder, here is a synopsis of the bills, and the contact info for
all of the Reps and Senators from Illinois.

1. The Fair Wages for Workers with Disabilities Act of 2013 (H.R. 831)

H.R. 831 phases out Section 14(c) of the Fair Labor Standards Act, which
allows employers to pay disabled workers subminimum wages.  This bill will
end this exploitative practice, giving disabled Americans equal protection
under the law to earn at least the federal minimum wage.

2. Technology, Education, Accessibility in College and Higher Education
(TEACH) (HR 3505)

TEACH will create accessibility guidelines so that schools know what
accessibility means.  This Act will level the playing field for students
with disabilities at colleges and universities who currently are at a
disadvantage since they are not receiving appropriate accommodations.

3. The Air Carrier Accessibility Amendments Act (S 556)

Passenger interaction with technology is a central component of air travel.
The Air Carrier Access Act prohibits discrimination on the basis of
disability by airlines, but it was written before the emergence of
modern-day technology. In flight services are inaccessible to blind
travelers despite readily-available solutions, resulting in segregation and
substandard service. ACAA calls for in flight services in air travel to be
accessible to blind passengers.

4.  Space Available (S 346)  Currently, 100% service disabled veterans do
not qualify for the program "space available." This program allows retired
veterans to ride on military aircraft for free if space is available.  As
100% disabled veterans became disabled while serving our country, we think
it makes sense for them to be included in this program.

Here is the contact info:

Representative: Adam Kinzinger (R)

202-225-3635

Michael: Michael.Essington at mail.house.gov (Fair Wages)

Patrick: Patrick.Ptak at mail.house.gov (TEACH)
Josh: Josh.Baggett at mail.house.gov (Air Carrier Amendment Act)

Representative: Randy Hultgren (R)

202-225-2976

Scott Luginbill: Scott.Luginbill at mail.house.gov<Scott.Lunginbill at mail.house.gov>

Representative: William Enyart (D)

(202) 225-5661

meet with Stu Megaw (Stu.Megaw at mail.house.gov)

CO-SPONSOR OF FAIR WAGES.

Representative: Mike Quigley (D)

(202) 225-4061

Shira: Shira.Siegel at mail.house.gov (TEACH)

Joseph: Joseph.Bushong at mail.house.gov (Air Carrier Amendments Act)

CO-SPONSOR OF FAIR WAGES

Representative: Rodney Davis (R)

(202) 225-2371

Frank Santana: frank.santana at mail.house.gov (Fair Wages)
Ashley Phelps: Ashley.Phelps at mail.house.gov (TEACH)

Representative: Brad Schneider (D)

(202) 225-4835

Cara: Cara.Toman at mail.house.gov

Representative: Dan Lipinski (D)

(202) 225-5701

Brian: Brian.Oszakiewski at mail.house.gov

Representative: Tammy Duckworth (D)

(202) 225-3711

Kalina: Kalina.Bakalov at mail.house.gov

Representative: Aaron Schock (R)

202-225-6201

Margie: Margie.almanza at mail.house.gov

Representative: Cheri Bustos (D)

202-225-5905

Lyron Blum-Evitts: Lyron.Blum-Evits at mail.house.gov

Representative: John Shimkus (R)

202-225-5271
Jim Goldenstein: jim.goldenstein at mail.house.gov

Representative: Bobby Rush (D)

202.225.4372

Lenette: Lenette.Meyers at mail.house.gov (TEACH)

Stanley: Stanley.Watkins at mail.house.gov (Air Carrier Ammendments Act)

CO-SPONSOR OF FAIR WAGES

Representative: Bill Foster (D)

(202) 225-3515

Amy Kelbick: Amy.Kelbick. at mail.house.gov

Representative: Jan Schakowsky (D)

(202) 225-2111

Waverly Gordon: Waverly.Gordon at mail.house.gov

Representative: Robin Kelly (D)

202.225.0773

Aimee Ramirez: Aimee.Ramirez at mail.house.gov

CO-SPONSOR OF FAIR WAGES

Representative: Danny Davis (D)

(202) 225-5006

Lavell Brown: Lavell.Brown at mail.house.gov (Fair Wages, Air Carrier
Amendment Act)

Jill: Jill.Hunter-Williams at mail.house.gov  (TEACH)

Representative: Peter Roskam (R)

(202) 225-4561

Luke Hatzis: Luke.Hatzis at mail.house.gov

Representative: Luis V. Gutiérrez (D)

(202) 225-8203

Anthony: Anthony.Espinoza at mail.house.gov

Senator: Mark Kirk (R)

(202)224-2854

Cade Clurman: Cade_Clurman at Kirk.Senate.Gov

Senator: Dick Durbin (D)

202-224-2152

Binta: Binta_Beard at Durbin.Senate.gov