[il-talk] Unscientific Survey, What do Folks Like to Hear in website form field labels

Ray Campbell ray153056 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 16:36:40 UTC 2015

Hello:

We're discussing how to best label website form fields at United.  Two
things that have come up are:
1.  It has been suggested to United that the '*' (asterisk) which
indicates a field is required not be read by a screen reader.  do
people like hearing the asterisk?  I know I do, what about others?
There is HTML and ARIA code that can be used to indicate a field is
required I believe.
2.  They have various traveler types you can select when you book a
flight.  For example, they have adults (18-64).  It's been suggested
to them that they code the labels for these so that a screen reader
user hears 'adults age 18-64.  I have no preference, but, do others
feel you get that they are talking about age if you hear something
like 'adults (18-64).  I know I do, interested in what others think.

Thanks in advance for any help.  There's nothing specific that I can
find in the WCAG 2.0 guidelines about these items, so just wanted to
ask what people think.

Ray Campbell
ray153056 at gmail.com