[il-talk] Proving your blindness

Harris Singer harris.singer at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 00:10:11 UTC 2016

Hi Leslie
Nice and intriguing question. For me living in a world not designed
logistically for people without sight calls me to be creative in how I
navigate the ins and outs of life inside and outside my home. On
occasion I'm accused of “proving something" and when I am I tell
people it's not about proving something, it’s about me expressing my
creativity in doing things non-visually. When I frame it this way
people seem to respect that and give me my space. I don’t’ think I’ve
ever been accused of having an attitude, but I have been accused of
being stubborn. I don’t mind these accusations either way. It does
sometimes create an awkward moment when my insistence, or perceived
insistence, of doing things my way creates tension with sighted
people. I do live the life I want, but I’m not an island either. I
have heard stories for years from sighted people of how blind people
create very poor impressions of blindness and these stories make me
cringe, especially when the blind person is clearly in the wrong.
There is a diplomatic balance in doing things my way and not being
labeled as difficult to work or interact with. Some in our community
care about striking this balance more than others and fortunately
there’s room for all of us.