[il-talk] chicago minutes march 2017

David Meyer datemeyer at sbcglobal.net
Thu Apr 6 02:16:33 UTC 2017

NFBI CHICAGO CHAPTER MEETING

March 4, 2017

President Debbie Stein called to order the March 2017 meeting of the
National Federation of the Blind of Illinois Chicago Chapter at 1:00 P.M.

There were no health concerns. Twenty-eight people were present, including
several who were here for the first time.

Program: Jemal Powell, program chairman introduced the program as a
summation of what one might find at a typical National Federation of the
Blind national convention. Highlights sited from those who previously
attended included the impression made when seeing more than 2,000 blind
people navigating in the same hotel, committee meetings and division
meetings which take place prior to the general session,  and working at the
Independence Market. Additional items mentioned were the general sessions, a
feature which occurs at every convention, the presidential report, and the
banquet. Highlights for the banquet include the banquet address and the
presentation of the scholarship class. Another highlight is how ones
perspective on blindness changes after getting a chance to talk to other
federationists about all that they do in their careers and for pleasure.

Presidential Reports

National Presidential Release: Mark Riccobono, President, National
Federation of the Blind reported on the following items. We were greeted by
the members of the Leadership Seminar which was occurring on the day the
release was being produced. President Riccobono informed us that March 2 was
Read Across America Day. The KNFB Reader for Windows was released on March
1. It can be purchased through the Windows Ap store for $99.99. This version
currently runs on the Windows 10 platform. The People can now register for
the National convention. Go to www.nfb.org/Spring convention season already
begun. If you preregister, convention registration is $2 5 and the banquet
is $ $60. If you choose to register at the convention, prices for
registration and the banquet will be higher. We were all encouraged to
preregister.

One may also secure a room at the Shingle Creek Hotel. Rates are
singles-doubles, $82 with triples and quads at $89 nightly. Call the Rosen
Shingle Creek at 866-996-6338.

The Kernel books are a series of books produced during the 1990's and the
early 2000's. Many copies of each of the Kernel books are still available at
no charge from the Independence Market. All chapters were encouraged to
order these books and distribute them to public places. Applications are
still being taken for National Scholarships. One may apply until March 3 1.
Applications are also being accepted for the Jacob Bollotin Awards. These
applications may be sent by April 1 5.First Vice-president Pam Allen was
introduced. She went on to explain why she is now a federationist. Adelmo
Begio from New Mexico and his wife have recently become grandparents. Duncon
Pullpeter was born into the Federation on January 29.

State Presidential Report: State President Denise Avant reported on the
following items. Denise began her report by reading our one minute message.
She then turned the microphone over to David Meyer who described what was
going on in state legislation. Our Parental Rights language was introduced
by Representative Laura Fine as hb2626, the Parental Rights for the Blind
act. This act would eliminate the possibility of children being removed or
custody being withheld from a blind parent solely on the ground of
blindness. New parents who are blind would have to receive training to the
same extent as sighted parents do when a problem arises. This bill will be
up for a hearing on March 6, where Representative Fine intends to call the
bill meaning it would be voted up or down by the House Judiciary-Civil
Committee. If passed out of committee, the bill will go to the full house.
We already have sponsorship from both parties lined up in the Senate.  We
are preparing to oppose another house bill, hb3162. This bill would require
that all service dogs be licensed. It is scheduled for a hearing in the
Business and Occupational License Committee. Many of the regulations in this
bill are things not permitted under the Americans with Disabilities Act,
including among other things asking the dog to perform three tasks and
asking the dog to perform obedience commands 90% of the time on the first
ask. Additionally, this law would require service dogs to wear an
identification piece such as a vest, backpack or sign stating that the dog
is a service dog. Dogs would also have to be trained by a special school
meant for that purpose. This would mean that dogs trained by owners could
not be licensed. The Americans with Disabilities Act permits user trained
dogs to perform as service dogs. Denise announced that there would be a
state legislation committee on March 5 at 7:00 P.M. The call-in number is 6
4 1-7 1 5-3 2 7 3, with the code being state, (7 8 2 8 3.) Ed Birmingham
talked about three bills that are scheduled for hearings during the
following week that would negatively effect blind vendors. One bill will add
an additional penny per ounce tax on sugared drinks. If passed, Cook County
residents would pay two cents per ounce tax on sugared drinks. The second
bill would restrict the sale of energy drinks to those 18 years of age and
older. Finally, the third bill would add a five cent per container fee. This
would apply to cans, medal bottles, glass and plastic bottles. It is hoped
that vendors will be there to oppose all three of these pieces of
legislation. In other matters, Denise strongly encouraged all of us to find
students and let them know that there is time to apply for both a National
and a State scholarship. The deadline for submission of applications for
both scholarships is March 31. National scholarship winners must attend the
entire National convention. State scholarship winners must attend the entire
state convention. The state convention will take place at the Naperville
Marriott Hotel on October 26-28.  Our student division is planning a seminar
scheduled for April 22 at the Midway Holiday Inn Anyone wishing to apply for
financial assistance for this event may apply to the Chappell-Dennis fund by
April 1.

Fundraising Committee: David Meyer reported on the following. Our Beggars
Pizza fundraiser will take place on Wednesday, April 19 at Beggars Pizza,
310

South Clinton Avenue, Chicago. Dave announced that he had flyers to pass out
during this meeting, and that he would have flyers to pass out during the
April meeting. If you turn in a flyer along with your order, we will receive
20 % of the purchase price of your order less tax and gratuity. Also, we
need to begin selling tickets for our White Sox fundraiser which will take
place on August 12 following the chapter meeting. As tickets will sell for
$21 for this game, we will charge $30 per ticket. We will receive a $1
discount if we sell more than 20, $2 for more than 50 and a discount of $3
if we sell more than 150 tickets. Orders must be in to David Meyer by May 1.

Secretarys Report: It was moved and seconded to approve the minutes from the
February 2017 meeting. The minutes were approved as presented.

Steve Hastalis reported that we had something over $5,700 in the treasury.
This was not an official figure, as the next official report will be given
in April.

There was no old business.

In new Business Melisa Fuller mentioned that she checked into selling Omaha
Steaks as a possible fundraiser. Unfortunately, Omaha Steaks has committed
themselves to fundraising projects for this year. Mary Grunwald strongly
encouraged all new members to sign up for Il-talk so that they can learn
what is going on here in Illinois from month to month.

The meeting adjourned at 3:20 P.M.

Respectfully Submitted,

David Meyer, Secretary