[il-talk] house sponsors for HB2626 our Parental Rights for the Blind legislation

Bill Reif billreif at ameritech.net
Mon Apr 17 15:36:06 UTC 2017

Hello,

Thanks to all those who have contacted your respective representatives
urging their support and cosponsorship of HB2626, our Parental Rights
for the Blind Act. This bill, in a nut shell, would prohibit courts from
using a parent or guardian's blindness as the sole reason to deny
custody or unsupervised visitation of children. On March 15, this bill
was voted out of the Judicial Civil Committee. The Department of
Children and Family Services, having some concerns with the bill, filed
an amendment on April fifth, which amendment does not give us reason to
oppose. On April sixth, the following representatives joined Laura Fine
in support: Robyn Gabel - Anna Moeller, Michelle Mussman, André Thapedi
and Emily McAsey

If your representative is among those, please drop them an email
thanking them for their support. If you have contacted your
representative and they have indicated to you that they intend to
support, please let me know at billreif at ameritech.net. Otherwise, please
contact your representative if you have not yet done so and urge them to
support this important legislation.

Cordially,

Bill Reif, Co Chair

NFBI State Legislation Committee