[il-talk] Latest entries on "Why I Am A Federationist" page

Brian Mackey bmackey88 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 12 20:15:05 UTC 2017

Bre Brown

I was born in to a family where blindness is no stranger. My mom, who
happens to be blind, raised me with high expectations, gave me as many
opportunities as she could, and was never afraid to let me try new things.
There were many times when I told her about something I wanted to do. She
never said no, but sometimes asked how I would do it. I didn't always know,
but I was determined to figure it out. When I got to high school, I began to
have many questions about my future that my sighted peers didn't have. My
mom taught me to be as independent as she could, but there were some things
she didn't know how to teach me. I knew I could have a bright and successful
future, but I also knew I needed more skills. As all of this was happening,
some of my friends were talking about all the places they go, the people
they know, the projects they were doing, and so much more. All of this talk
was surrounding the National Federation of the Blind. In 2009 I decided to
join our dynamic organization, Within six months I was hooked. My worries
about my future were short lived. I found a family who believes in me,
challenges me, encourages me, and shows me love every day. Because of this
mentoring and guidance, I have become a graduate of the Louisiana center for
the Blind and have received my undergraduate degree from Texas State
University. Because of the federation, I learned that I can do more than I
ever imagined. Words cannot describe my love for our organization. Not only
has the federation given me so much and changed my life, I love giving back.
Our organization has achieved many victories over the years, but our work is
not done. I am a proud federationist, and I am thrilled to be a part of what
we will achieve in the future.

Gabe Cazares

As a first-generation Latinx Texan, the Federation has given me
self-confidence, self-assurance, independence and passion. When I met the
National Federation of the Blind, I instantly found mentors who challenged
me to achieve more than I thought was ever possible. Those same mentors
continue challenging me to be the best that I can be both professionally and
personally. I am a Federationist because the National Federation of the
Blind has played a major role in shaping me into the man I am today. And,
because I love big families!

Eric Guillory

I was 15 when I first heard about the National Federation of the Blind.
Unlike so many students, I was blessed to have a fantastic TVI named Janet
Bernhardt, who, despite my initial protestations, encouraged me to attend
The Louisiana Center for the blind's STEP Program. Though I have not been
nearly as active in the Federation as I am now over a portion of those
intervening 26 years, I am privileged to state unequivocally that the
Federation has changed my life and that of countless thousands of blind
people, their families, friends, and colleagues. Today, I am privileged to
administer the very program I initially resisted attending. Standing on the
shoulders of those intrepid men and women who have gone before, it is
wonderful to pay it forward to future generations. Witnessing students
raising expectations for themselves and seeing families transformed by the
love, hope, and determination embodied in the Federation is an incredible
blessing.

Brian McCann

I once thought that being blind meant not being a productive citizen. I was
terrified, depressed and unmotivated. I wouldn't admit that I was blind or
had a disability. This was until I found the National Federation of the
Blind (NFB). The NFB and its philosophy have taught me to be proud of who I
am. My NFB family puts challenges in front of me, not to hold me back but to
push me forward. I now know that I can do and be anything I want. Those
fears are not feared anymore. My future is wide open to anything that I put
my mind to. I now stand tall with my white cane!

To view additional entries on the Why I Am A Federationist page, please
visit www.nfbofillinois.org/why-i-am-a-federationist.