[il-talk] December 15, 2017 NFBI Board Meeting Minutes

denise avant davant1958 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 02:06:55 UTC 2017

NFBI State Board Meeting

Thursday, December 15, 2016 7pm

Via teleconference: 641-715-3273 code NFBI (6324)

[To Do List:

Moore: send amended Sep. Minutes to Avant (and current).

Chang: invest $50,000 into fund thoroughly discussed and approved
unanimously.

Chang/Randall: enroll NFBI in Forefront, and assess results.

Moore: send PR report.

Avant: Audible traffic signals topic for next meeting agenda

Chang: move forward with deal for State Convention with Naperville Marriott.

Chang: adjust the budget reflecting removed $5k

WS deligates attend "MANDATORY!" meetings prior to seminar.

Stein: contact Hansen, and Othman/Chang for Scholarship promo

Moore: work with Chang for Scholarship and BELL promo

Avant? Have scholarship committee fan out promo

Chang: plan for getting scholarship info into Second Sense newsletter

IABS: keep up the good work planning Seminar

Chang: work out hotel arrangements for Seminar

Chang, J. Meyer, Stein: collaborate for parent event in June.

Stein, PR: promo BRAL

Chang: look into NJ convention arrangement for webmaster

All: submit receipts to Chang ASAP

Meyer: send Avant info for Games Night to go on website

]

              *Roll Call of Board Present:

Denise Avant, president

Debbie Stein, first VP

David Meyer, second VP

Glenn Moore, secretary

Patti Chang, treasurer

Bill Reif

Mary Grunwald

Cathy Randall

Steve Hastalis

Adrienne Falconer

Patricia Olson

              Guests:

Bob Widman

Charlene Elder

Gina Falvo

              Minutes of Sep. 29:

              Meyer moves to approve.

              Randall seconds.

              Chang: suggests we remove investment section and have a clear
discussion tonight.

              Meyer: "Ferris Wheel" should read "four rivers" chapter.

              The motion carries to approve minutes as amended.

              *THIRD QUARTER TREASURY REPORT (distributed Dec. 9):

              Chang: Most expenses were BELL. We're where we expect to be
($160+ thousand in treasury). We expect another $20 thousand coming. After
paying $11 thousand for convention, we'll end up around 160 to 170 thousand.

              Grunwald moves to approve the emailed report; Moore seconds;
motion carries.

              *INVESTMENT:

              After thorough discussion of risks and benefits of the
investment tool from the Athene phamplet distributed to the board prior, the
board moves forward with the investment of $50,000.

              Hastalis moves to approve the investment.

              Reif seconds.

              Chang abstain from voting, reminding the board that Rebecca
Schmidt was the investment advisor).

              The board votes to approve unanimously.

              *"FOREFRONT" (AKA DONOR'S FORUM):

              Randall: Forefront (formerly "Donor's Forum") is a statewide
vehicle to connect donors and not-for-profits. We do the work of getting
donors to finance us, but if we identify our goals and categories of
interest, Forefront will help streamline finding donors who match well; they
also have seminars we can go to.

              Chang: they call this a donor prospecting system. They do many
webinars, so we can do this from anywhere. These things can be very useful,
it's a good idea. If it doesn't work well, we can simply not use it again.

              Chang moves we subscribe to Forefront; Grunwald seconds; the
motion carries.

              *STATE REPORTS:

              Avant: sent out Membership (Gina Falvo), Transportation (Steve
Hastalis and Jemal Powell), Scholarship and Freedom Link (Stein).

              Some say they have not yet read BELL.

              Moore moves to approve Scholarship, Freedom Link,
Transportation and Membership reports.

              Meyer seconds;

              Hastalis will give simply an update at a later time relating
to the Chicago chapter discussions about Chicago's placement of audible
traffic signals.

              The motion carries, the 4 reports are approved.

              Public Relations-Moore will submit a written report.

              *2017 STATE CONVENTION HOTEL:

              Chang: we have 3 prospective hotels:

              #1, the Naperville Marriott, submitted the same bid as 2016.
They do a great job for convention.

              #2, the Hoffman Estates Marriott. Though our contact is
excellent; Issues are high turnover, no Metra stop nearby, and an awkward
layout for navigating at a convention. Dinner for 2 at the resteraunt cost
$100-they would furnish a pizza buffet for $25.

              #3, Norfield Inn, Springfield. It's a good bid. The Reif's
site-visited. Our contact is good to work with. NFB members attending other
events were satisfied with the hotel. We should have conventions outside
Chicago, but board and members must commit to stay to the end (noon Sunday).
Springfield would be in November.

              Avant: We strive to arrange convention early so those
attending can make their arrangements before calendars are booked up.

              Discussion follows about Springfield food options: The hotel's
Mexican restaurant closes early. There are outside restaurant nearby, with
sidewalk access, but it's unclear if snow, a wide highway or transportation
cost would be prohibitive. The hotel lacks a lobby bar, nor Kosher meals.

              Chang also checked the Abraham Lincoln and Hilton (but no
viable bids).

              Chang moves to select the Naperville Marriott.

              Meyer seconds.

              Chang: Naperville would be the weekend before Halloween. [Oct.
27 - 29]

              The motion carries.

              Chang: I have a packet for anyone interested in a convention
location to solicit a bid, as Powell had done.

              Olson will investigate the Holiday Inn (former Four Seasons)
in the Quad Cities.

              The board discusses future convention logistics of bus
transportation, convention scheduling and attendance.

              *2017 BUDGET:

              Chang: the budget is identical to 2016, but we may lose Biardi
(Michigan-based earmarked for BELL, if MI conducts a program) and Linden
(Freedom Link). Without these, we need to reduce $5000, which I propose come
from scholarships and BELL-both under-spent. We may replenish later if we
identify funds.

              Randall offers to request additional funds from the Naperville
Lion's, and use Lion's grant money more broadly, including Freedom Link.

              Reif: freedom Link has members in or near Naperville.

              There is brief discussion of scholarship, generally agreeing
we want to focus on best qualified applicants more than an amount, plus can
likely expand funding scholarships for remarkable applicants, and that this
affiliate exceeds many other scholarship sums.

              Chang moves to reduce the budget by 5 thousand dollars, to be
split between scholarships and BELL line-items.

              Reif seconds.

              The motion carries.

              *PROGRAMS:

              *WASHINGTON SEMINAR 2017.

              Chang: We have dates. The issues are:

              1, AIM HEA, to establish higher Ed. guidelines for ADA
compliant electronic education.

              2, a tax refund for those who purchase accessibility
technology, similar to medical equipment tax status.

              3, seeking a contract for NLS to furnish Braille displays to
those who want one. It could expand Braille use immensely.

              The TIME act is still in play, but will be revisited for the
new congress.

              7 from IL are going; myself [Chang], Dave Meyer, Bob Gardner,
Jemal Powell, Emma Meyer, and Julieta Meyer (also involved with parent
activities).

              We have 2 MANDATORY! trainings; on the weekend of Jan. 20th
for new delegates, and one early the week before W.S. (around the 24th).

              *SCHOLARSHIPS:

              Stein: scholarship notices have been sent to DSS offices in
IL. Scholarship and internship apps are on the website. I'll send more to
scholarship applicants, students, on facebook and twitter.

              Stein will contact Robert Hansen for Facebook and Ronza Othman
or Chang to publicize on twitter.

*[https://twitter.com/NFBI]

              *NATIONAL SCHOLARSHIP:

              Chang: we have the most applications ever for this date, but
none yet from IL. Let's get the word out. Stein and I need to coordinate for
the Lighthouse and TVI's.

              Avant will have the scholarship committee split a fan out.

              Chang will work on getting into Second Sense's newsletter.

              *SPRING SEMINAR:

              Falconer summarizes the students' progress with the seminar,
and that IABS may seek a NABS rep.

              Avant: the date will be April 22. Emma Meyer has contacted
surrounding states' student presidents. WI has responded and more may once
the flyer is ready. IABS would have to cover costs for a NABS rep.

              Chang: the Midway Marriott so far says they have availability,
but will likely offer a higher bid than past seminars (given no Parent and
TVI seminars).

              *PARENT EVENT:

              Chang explains the reasons not to choose dates concurrent to
Student Seminar, July (convention), nor September (State), but prefers late
June, noting museums have set dates per month they hold events.

              Stein: Jacob Ayers and Matthew Maurer both have Museum of
Science and Industry and NFB connection.

              Chang: we should ask for both, and be prepared to actively
help museum deal with accessibility for the outing-requiring more time than
now to the Seminar date.

              *GREAT LAKES BRAL CONTEST:

              Stein: 8 states are participating, with 35 registered (14 from
IL). I expect 5-10 more.

              *BELL 2017

              Chang: Chicago will be right after National Convention and
Springfield, the last weekend of July. Amy Lund has attended National
training. Moore and I need to talk to promote heavily by January.

              *WEBSITE:

              Avant: Our webmaster need has been resolved. New Jersey's
Treasurer, Brian Mackey has remarkably reorganized, cleaned up and updated
our website (he's very prompt), for a state besides his own. We had no
financial arrangement, but can show thanks for what he's done so far.

              Chang suggests we bring him to convention, with the same
comps. New Jersey does.

              The suggestion is well received by voicing board members.

              *MISC. OLD BUSINESS:

              Chang reminds that receipts need to be submitted for
reimbursments ASAP.

              Meyer will send Avant information for a Chicago Chapter Games
Night game to put on the website.

              *NEW BUSINESS:

              Avant: All state presidents have been asked to attend a
retreat in Baltimore Jan. 28 and 29.

              Chang moves to cover this and any future expenses for the IL
president not covered by National, to attend gatherings requested of
affiliate presidents.

              Moore seconds.

              The motion carries.

              Moore moves to Adjourn

              Reif seconds.

              Reif asks about the BSPC.

              Avant: we met with John Gordon, who came to convention. Our
council rep.'s are Hamric and Andrew Webb. Marco Giannotti and Ed Birmingham
also are on the council. There's a proposed bylaw to get approval from
consumer groups for appointees. We want to ensure our representatives meet
our expectations, but that we are not required to pick from a limited
location.

              8:48pm Adjournment motion carries.

Denise R. Avant, President

National Federation Of The Blind Of Illinois

Live the life you want.