[il-talk] "Do you Dream In Color" Chicago presentation

denise Avant davant1958 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 8 08:54:09 UTC 2017

Hello all,
One thing I did note that while the young lady did have Braille, she may not
have been using it for very long or very often. I wonder if Debbie Stein or
Sharlene Elder or Leslie Hamric would have trouble reading the Braille book
that she was supposed to study from.  So, what I am saying is that not only
do we need to have Braille taught along with other technology, but we need
to have quality Braille teaching. And the student must be encouraged to use
it every day to build up fluent reading. Doug, one of the panelist pointed
out that so often teachers are busy teaching to test, and so the TVI, even
if willing does not always have the time to teach the technology or the
Braille. That is unfortunate. But here is where something like BRAL, BELL or
the programs at the NFB centers come in. You can do things after school, in
between semesters, and particularly in summer classes in these things where
the student can have more time to learn those skills away from  the hustle
of trying to learn a certain level of English, Math etc.

Denise R. Avant, President
Live the life you want.
For more information about NFBI,
Go to www.nfbofillinois.org.