[il-talk] HR 620 Moves to US Senate; State Budget Address Recap + ADAPT condemns the passing of the HR 620 bill in the House / 17 ADAPTers Arrested

Patti Chang pattischang at gmail.com
Thu Feb 15 22:00:50 UTC 2018

FYI.

Dear Access Living friends and allies,

We have two important updates for you, federal and state.

CONGRESS

At the federal level, the U.S. House just passed HR 620. That's the ADA bill we have been telling you about that would damage disability rights, and give inaccessible businesses more leeway for breaking the law. An intense battle between disability advocates, business lobbyists, and Congressional staff culminated in a fierce debate this morning on the House floor. Unfortunately, the bill passed 225-192, and will next be relayed to the U.S. Senate, where many Senators are already signaling that they will be totally opposed.

We would like to THANK the following US Reps for voting against the bill, and in favor of disability rights: Democrats Raja Krishnamoorthi, Jan Schakowsky, Bobby L. Rush, Robin Kelly, Brad Schneider, Daniel Lipinski, Mike Quigley, Danny K. Davis, Cheri Bustos, and Republican Peter Roskam.

The following Illinois Congressmen voted in favor of the bill and AGAINST disability rights: Democrat Bill Foster, and Republicans John Shimkus, Adam Kinzinger, Darin LaHood, Mike Bost, Rodney Davis, and Randy Hultgren. Consider this when you go to the polls in November.

We were sorry to learn that Congressman Gutierrez could not file a vote due to a family emergency.

We at Access Living remain adamantly opposed to this bill as it moves to the Senate, because it will damage disability rights. Bill supporters claimed that the bill would help people with disabilities, ignoring the thousands of educational opportunities offered to businesses over the last 28 years on how to become ADA compliant. The US Department of Justice has expended significant effort over many years to assist business groups with compliance. States have processes for punishing attorneys who abuse the system. And yet once again, disability rights were placed at the back of the line. Stay tuned. We will not stand for this. To see all the votes for every member of Congress, go to this link. We will keep you posted on next action steps.

GOVERNOR'S BUDGET ADDRESS

As many of you know, yesterday, Governor Rauner delivered the annual budget speech and released his budget proposal for this next year. Prior to the speech, a summary was released; you can see it at this attachment FY19 Gov Budget Exec Summary.pdf. Our overall view of this budget proposal is that it is basically a proposal, and will likely not mirror the final budget that the Illinois legislature needs to pass by the end of May.

While certain items important to us were preserved in this proposal (such as funding for independent living centers and vocational rehabilitation), the State is also proposing cuts of 5 to 8% to the following program areas:  The Autism Program, Infant Mortality, Addiction Prevention, Supportive Housing Services, the Arc of Illinois, Best Buddies, Children's Place, Chicago Area Project, Immigrant Integration Services, Epilepsy Services, West Side Health Authority Crisis Intervention. Given that countless programs have been operating on a shoestring across the state for years, further cuts will be a big problem.

The proposal also floats a $150 million cut to Medicaid through reducing payments to Medicaid providers by about 4%. In a state where reimbursements are already low compared to the national norm, this is deeply concerning. As many of you know, Medicaid managed care is also rolling out across the state, and the shift of payments through managed care as opposed to state agencies is causing some complexity for budget analysis by disability advocates.

The outlook for workers who provide disability services is complex. While the Governor proposes to raise the wages of Direct Support Providers (DSPs) by 50 cents an hour, there is no sign of a wage increase for Home Services Program (HSP) workers. There is also a proposal to shift the cost of health coverage for HSP workers onto the union. And, it looks like there is a proposal to roll back a wage increase for homemakers in the Community Care Program.

We are very fortunate to work with a range of disability advocates who are looking at this budget proposal from a variety of angles. The State did reiterate its commitment to maintaining work on the Olmstead consent decrees. In the meantime, our commitment is to stay focused on expanding home and community based services, but we will need to continue to work hard to ensure that our community members who are stuck in institutional settings are provided with real choices about home/community opportunities.

Overall, our response as of right now is mixed. As with previous years we will have a lot of work to do to keep improving the system so that people with disabilities are included in all our communities, and not penalized through bureaucratic decisions that are not informed by the disability perspective.

Amber Smock

Director of Advocacy, Access Living

 <https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fcqrcengage.com%2Faccessliving%2Fapp%2Fsubscriptions%3Fr%3DAAAAC2Flc0NpcGhlcjAx7PUR5z9kOqWcmakYOz0L2jpQmSWueZTEoNGlDNF1uNw&data=02%7C01%7Crpatrick%40accessliving.org%7C2e57bc46fcc04ae11ef108d574a66be1%7C836a1ce092ba45a58e0154ac42dd1e1d%7C0%7C0%7C636543180477914226&sdata=MO64UD6qar9slMzLd5erndHMJj5JSzWeTkjzht1vgEk%3D&reserved=0> Unsubscribe

 <https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fcqrcengage.com%2Faccessliving%2Fapp%2Fthru%3Fep%3DAAAAC2Flc0NpcGhlcjAxhiQetMrSpJPp6wlwfCo9lsdWdXtJJrYjZG4Ec4vNQUE4qNljiqoRQqjJYvWxuSKpahJdjJ_k4aoNQaQdYCs27RZVfraJDHDPsb7PGpac3IuFuzq9GBkm-MOM_trul1wW%26lp%3D0&data=02%7C01%7Crpatrick%40accessliving.org%7C2e57bc46fcc04ae11ef108d574a66be1%7C836a1ce092ba45a58e0154ac42dd1e1d%7C0%7C0%7C636543180477914226&sdata=AvMVOf2qQQL9RjwM7kJvo6CZ%2Bkdi62GpJ%2BMWy5fb13s%3D&reserved=0>