[il-talk] Federal Legislation update-Transformation to Competitive Employment Act

Starry Sky Starry_sky at live.com
Thu Apr 11 17:40:10 UTC 2019

Section 14(c) of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) allows public and private employers to obtain special certificates from the Department of Labor’s Wage & Hour Division that allow them to compensate workers with significant disabilities at rates below the current federal minimum wage based on the individual’s level of measured productivity.

But I need to better understand this bill.  I am not saying it is right to have different tiers of pay for people with disabilities but if places like Goodwill then has to pay equal wages, will they really increase the pay to people with disabilities or will they displace them for people without disabilities (or automation) for the line work?  Are there any legal or labor protections for those jobs?  That is the concern that I am struggling with and why I hope legislation includes addressing this concern and keeping track of the numbers.