[IL-Talk] At Large chapter minutes-August 4, 2019

Marilyn Green marilynvgreen at gmail.com
Mon Aug 5 18:37:38 UTC 2019

NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND

AT LARGE CHAPTER

MEETING MINUTES

JUNE 2, 2019

Present:  President Marilyn Green, President Emeritus Linda Hendle,
State President Denise Avant, Yvonne Adgyarko, PeterMcGee, Halley
Richmond, Danny Mandrel,  Debbie Pittman.  The meeting was called to
order at 7:07 p.m.

Absent:  Charlene Elder and Leslie Hamric.

SECRETARY’S MINUTES

MOTION

Pittman moved to table the May 2019 minutes. It was seconded by Hendle
and unanimously carried.

PRESIDENTIAL RELEASE:  There was no presidential release at the time
of the meeting.

NFB PLEDGE:  The NFB pledge was lead by Green.

I pledge to participate actively in the efforts of the National
Federation of the Blind.  To insure equality, opportunity and security
for the blind.  To support the policies and the programs of the
Federation and to abide by its constitution.

Green discussed warm fuzzies: There was a discussion on the benefits
of utilizing “Be My Eyes” and AIRA to help do things.  Members were
strongly encouraged to use “Be My Eyes” when necessary for finding
things. There’s also something called Directions for me.com for
cooking things.  Green explained for the new comers to the meeting
what we do at an at large meeting.

STATE REPORT

National Convention:  Avant gave the state report.  The national
convention will be in Las Vegas in Mandolin Bay on July 7 through the
12.  Avant explained that there is a convention link by going to
NFB.org/convention.  Avant suspects there will be a link for streaming
within that convention link.  Avant is planning on having the Illinois
social in her room on the 7th from 9 to 11 p.m.  Avant does not yet
have the information about when Illinois will be caucusing.

Fund raising:  Avant reported that Illinois will be selling their
battery rechargers for $30.

Face-to Face board meeting:  The board meeting will not be at our
convention hotel because most of the board members will be at the
National office from August 15 to the 18.  Our face-to-face meeting
will be on the 17th.  People will be calling in at the number we used
today 605-313-4819 code: 6324.

State convention:   Illinois state convention will be October 18
through the 20th in Springfield and will be at the Windom hotel.  The
Chapell-Dennis applications are due by September 1.  They can be
downloaded at NFBofillinois.org.  People should save it as a word
document and e-mail it to Avant at davant1958 at gmail.com.  Registration
forms will be put up on the website as well.

Convention Themes:  Avant is taking convention themes.

Possible ideas at convention:  Avant reported that there may be
break-out sessions at convention this year.   And also there is a
possible legislation  info through a spokesperson.

BELL programs:  Avant reported that the Springfield BELL programs
starts June 9 to the 14th and Chicago BELL will go from  July 29 to
approximately August 8 or 9 and is a two week program.

Coins:  Avant has a list of people who have paid dues and there has
been a small ceremony of giving out coins to the various members.
Avant will be taking coins to State and national convention to give
out coins at the caucus.   Avant has coins for existing members.  For
new members the coins will come from National.

PROGRAM ITEM

National Convention:  There was an extensive discussion on national
convention.    Green discussed the benefits of going to national
convention and meeting other blind people from across the country.
Green explained that all of your blindness equipment can be bought at
a national convention.  There are tons of meetings and lots of
activities after the meetings and lots of walking.  This will be
Green’s third convention.  Avant reported that our national president
highlights everything that we’ve done through the year from the last
convention up to the current convention thereby demonstrating our
effectiveness.  Avant also mentioned the banquet speech of blind women
in the federation and are available on NFB.org  under publications.
Avant believes it goes back to the beginning from where we started.
Green reported that President Riccobono reported that all of our
training centers were started by women in the federation.  Avant
reported that some ways of paying for national convention is to save
through the year.  Also there is the Chappell-Dennis  award, the
Jernigan fund for first-timers comes from National.  Avant explained
each person is responsible for managing the funds they receive for
convention.  The merchant’s division no longer sells snack bags.
People also search for room-mates to help cut down cost.  Another idea
is to only attend part of the convention.  For those who can’t attend
there will be streaming of the convention.

July meeting:

MOTION

Pittman moved to skip the July meeting in lieu of the National
convention.  It was seconded by  Hendle and unanimously carried.

Next Meeting:  The next meeting will be August 4, 2019 Sunday.

OLD BUSINESS

NEW BUSINESS

ADJOURNMENT

MOTION

Pittman moved to adjourn.  It was seconded by Hendle and unanimously carried.

The meeting adjourned at 8:10 p.m.

Respectfully submitted by

Debbie Pittman